Warning: Question for women!

Options

Replies

• silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a confession... I have the opposite problem.. if I forget to take pills my period gets delayed a month.. doesn't come. There was once or twice I was going on vacation and didn't want it during.. so I was careful and skipped some and started back to make it get pushed back... it worked for me... probably wasn't the smartest thing I did, but hey being a girl sucks sometimes!

I hope it works out for you.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have no advice to give.. I'm allergic to most birth controls...
    WA WA WAAAAAAAAAA!!! True Story though
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You might be able to get just 1 pill from the phamacy. Not sure how it works with birth control, but I've been able to get an extra pill or 2 while waiting to see a doctor and my prescription ran out. Ask them because they don't want you to get messed up, though they may just say the last 2 pills don't count anyway because they are placebo.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Are people on here prudish about saying the word "period' for some reason? If your period starts early before you have a chance to go get your pill, it will stop again once you take it. Also, is it really that big of a deal to have your period on a "romantic weekend"? A minor annoyance, sure, but so what?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are people on here prudish about saying the word "period' for some reason? If your period starts early before you have a chance to go get your pill, it will stop again once you take it. Also, is it really that big of a deal to have your period on a "romantic weekend"? A minor annoyance, sure, but so what?

I am pretty sure a lot of used the word "period". I also called it Aunt Flo because it worked as a lame joke.
    Not everyone experiences it the same way. Major cramps, very heavy flow and other symptoms can be more than a minor annoyance.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I say start the new pack and skip the whole period ordeal. I'm on the implant and my period was 2 weeks long in march (good timesss) 4 days in April, 4 days and very light in May, and....um. Hmm. Haven't had one yet in June. *glances at calender* I'm going to assume it's not coming, at this point. I hear that for some lucky women periods just up and stop on the implant, which I am totally down for.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure a lot of used the word "period".

I see "TOM" constantly on here. I think it's bizarre.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure a lot of used the word "period".

I see "TOM" constantly on here. I think it's bizarre.

Yeah I got nothing for that.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This is horrible advice, but I had a trip that fell right when my TOM was coming. I just started on a new pack for the time I was on the trip and it stopped it from coming

It's not bad advice at all. There's no medical reason to have a period when you're on the pill because the "period" you're getting at the end of each cycle isn't really a period. It's called "withdrawal bleeding" and is simply your body withdrawing from not getting the horomones in the pill. Ask any doctor and they will tell you that it's fine to completely skip your periods when you're on the pill; that's the whole science behind pill regimens like Seasonique- you only get a period every three months, and even then, most women only choose to get a period because it "feels normal."
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This is horrible advice, but I had a trip that fell right when my TOM was coming. I just started on a new pack for the time I was on the trip and it stopped it from coming

It's not bad advice at all. There's no medical reason to have a period when you're on the pill because the "period" you're getting at the end of each cycle isn't really a period. It's called "withdrawal bleeding" and is simply your body withdrawing from not getting the horomones in the pill. Ask any doctor and they will tell you that it's fine to completely skip your periods when you're on the pill; that's the whole science behind pill regimens like Seasonique- you only get a period every three months, and even then, most women only choose to get a period because it "feels normal."

Thanks :) now I don't feel so bad telling her to just start on new pack and skip her period.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i always skip the nonactive pills week and go straight into a new pack so i never have a period. but during the rest of the pack, sometimes im a lil forgetful and end up skipping 2-3 days :/ (i have an iud as well though...pill is just for regulation). but from my experience, i never start spotting until about the 3-4th missed pill.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I got the doctor's okay to skip the non-active pills, i.e. skip my period for my honeymoon years ago. Go for it. You'll be fine.

P.S. The place in the Poconos is INTERESTING...been there....hubby and I had a lot of laughs....
  • mamacooksalot
    Options
    The advice about skipping the 'gap week' and taking the next pack straight away should be completely fine. But you can ONLY do this if you are on a kind of pill that you take the same every day, though. If you have a kind with different pills at different times during the month you will need to use extra protection unless you are prepared to increase your risk of pregnancy.

Good luck and enjoy your romantic weekend!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options

This! The doctor actually recommended it to me for a trip I had planned.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I was on the pill, I'd finish a pack Saturday and start my period on Wednesday. Even so, my periods were so light, it didn't matter. I would be more worried about possible pregnancy if you're skipping pills. However, if you're just taking them late in the day (your post is confusing on this point), it shouldn't matter.

Although, from what I understand, the mini pill is a bit more sensitive if that's what you're on.
  • rml_16
    Options

This! The doctor actually recommended it to me for a trip I had planned.
    Why is that horrible advice?
  • rml_16
    Options
    OK, some re-reading and reading the replies:

I was never good at taking my pills at the exact same time very day and it didn't make a difference in what day of the week I got my period. And, yes, you can just start a new pack and skip the period. Used to do it all the time. It won't hurt you.
  • rml_16
    Options
    About the pregnant thing...unfortunately without getting too much into details, it's going to be more of a problem for us actually conceiving one day when that time comes :(

I know more than one person who thought this and was wrong.

If you have a uterus, eggs and are of child-bearing age, don't believe everything the docs say.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    This is why I had an IUD... no pesky pill to remember. I loved my IUD... I say loved b/c we had it taken out last June, and have been trying to get pregnant with baby # two...child # 4...cross your fingers hope I am pregnant soon!
  • rml_16
    Options
    This is why I had an IUD... no pesky pill to remember. I loved my IUD... I say loved b/c we had it taken out last June, and have been trying to get pregnant with baby # two...child # 4...cross your fingers hope I am pregnant soon!
    I got an IUD after the pill. Worst thing I ever did to my body.