What NOT to say to someone who's trying to lost weight?

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Bump
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    "I'm jealous. I wish I could lose weight" (I've told this person about MFP several times, but she insists she's "not ready yet")

"Are you sure you wanna eat that? I thought you were dieting" (hearing that over and over led me to eat a few too many cookies and put weight back on)
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    "Well I think you look great just the way you are"
    Married, I don't need your flirting. I'm not trying to impress you.

"What does your husband think about you losing weight?"
    About my getting healthy? Why wouldn't he think it's great? Oh because I've lost 3 inches from my hips? He's a boob man.

"I don't like skinny chicks"
    I do.

"Omg, you are so skinny!"
    Skinnier that before, not skinny. I have 30lbs to lose before I hit too skinny, don't worry, you just aren't used to seeing me 60lbs down.

"How did you lose so much?"
    Tell them diet and exercise, get this totally hideous face of disgust. Well if you didn't wanna know you shouldn't have asked.

I also try to buy clothes for the size I will be if I see something I love or something on sale and people look me up and down like that won't fit you, I'm losing weight, not just talking about it. It just gets annoying.
  • mikee007
    mikee007 Posts: 94 Member
    Don't ever say " you don't sweat much for a fat person" :D
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Wow! I don't think anyone has said any of these things to me, although I still want to get off at least another 25 lb and have been asked if I'm sure I need to lose that much. Yes, as it will barely put me into the "healthy" range. Pretty mild stuff.
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    BIGGGMOMMMA Posts: 190
    " Your starting to look better, but still have a long way to go huh?"

My 75 year old auntie....
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    I just simply hate it when people around you are suddenly the expert and start telling you what you should do. Especially when those people should probably worry about their own weight.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    or my mom telling me not to throw out my fat clothes because I may need them later.

Mine said the same thing to me!! :explode:

my mom just glares at me if I eat anything, and also says things like "well you looked better when you were thinner"

REALLY!? Because I might be delusional and think I look better now?

coming from the woman who has been overweight my entire life, overeats like crazy but because a lot of it is low fat (but has HFCS for taste) or veggies (seriously a mixing bowl sized salad for lunch and as a side dish for dinner) and no carbs and very little protein and goes on about portion size :P
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Most people in my family: "You should eat healthier and lose weight...Then you'd probably get man."

me: "Not that it's your business, but I am losing weight."

Them: "Well you should try harder."
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Bump
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    telling me my nutrionist don't know what they are talking about. I should not eat so much carbs
    first carbs is what gives you energy second if you don't over eat it is not bad for you (portion control)
    Under his diet plan I have lost 24lbs with modest exercise
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    I had one of my friends comment on a motivational quote picture I put up on instagram (something like, you can either have results or excuses, not both", telling me that 'there's more to life and you could just read them to yourself instead of posting so F***ing many!" For reference, I'd posted maybe 4 or so in the last week, interspersed with other pictures.

It just really irritated me that it annoyed her so much she felt the need to comment, rather than just keep scrolling :/

That's just not nice :( Ignore her
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Asking them if they're not on one of those starvation diets!! Even if that was said jokingly, it would still be mean and nasty and certainly wouldn't be funny!!
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    "Have a slice of pizza"

What's wrong with pizza?

For me one slice of pizza becomes an entire pizza plus some...I find it better to not eat any pizza at all (unless I am willing to live with eating that much pizza).
  • Don't lose too much, you are looking too skinny.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Tell them diet and exercise, get this totally hideous face of disgust. Well if you didn't wanna know you shouldn't have asked.

I love it when people do this. I just want to say..."just kidding, the fat fairy came by last night and poofed it away...dumb***!"
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Won't "make a difference" would be a good one not to say ;P
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Said to my daughter who is working on self esteem issues and losing weight... "When are you due?"

Ouch.

Said to me on a few occasions... "You will never keep it off". Gawd!!! how I love to prove people wrong!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

I love it when people do this. I just want to say..."just kidding, the fat fairy came by last night and poofed it away...dumb***!"

I tell them diet and exercise .. they get "that look" .. then I say "naaaah, just kidding. Raspberry Ketones and shakeology, baby!"
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    I really dislike "I'd be happy to look like you do" coupled with "you look fine". If *I* thought I looked fine and felt good, I wouldn't be working to make improvements. I keep my workouts and eating habits to myself and MFP because I don't want to have to explain that for me, it's not about weight, it's about being stronger and healthier. I may not be significantly overweight, but I haven't been healthy and the notion that I should stop what I'm doing and settle because someone else is worse off (and often not doing anything about it) bothers me.