A Few Bites

Options
If you have just a couple bites of something does that really have any calories to put in your diary....for instance I had 2 bites of rotel on 2 half pieces of a chip(so basically a whole chip dipped in rotel dip) would that even warrant putting in my diary...if I do something like that I usually don't but I want to be as accurate as possible and if I can have just a tiny bite of something yummy I will be ok

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many times a day you do it.
  • lauraboo132
    Options
    you'd be suprise how much it puts up cals I use to always peck at food and could easily eat 3000 calories a day beause "I've just had a little bit" my advice log it and see what happens
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would say log it! Even if you have to "quick add" the calories. The "just a bite"s add up quickly!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite that OCD...but it does depend on how many times per day you do that. I've take a nibble her and a nibble there and the next thing you know it's about 2 servings worth.
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always do, but that's because I tend to graze. I know grazing is not the best, but I at least want to hold myself accountable for what I've eaten.
  • Skeet3121
    Skeet3121 Posts: 1
    Options
    For me, if I don't want to log it.... I better not eat it.
  • sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I log everything! Logging makes you more conscious of everything you put in your mouth.

Say you only eat & don't log one chip & dip now, one mini candy bar later, a couple peanuts, a grape or two, a piece of gum... you could easily add 100 calories without even realizing.
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    O no its def not like doing it all day I had the chip and dip and walked away and won't go back and its not something I do every day but sometimes when I am cooking something that I really like for my kids and I am having something different I will have a little bite occasionally but its not something that I do constantly
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You do it once a day....lets say that's an extra 10 calories...maybe no big deal

but if you do it multiple time a day.....because it's just a taste, a lick, a nibble, a bite......those 10 calories each time can add up to a meal's worth of calories....

Past my lips, in the log it goes.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    LOL, I was just thinking this last night, Dad had a tub of ice cream with that (very bad for you) Magic shell chocoalte topping. Well I grabbed a normal eating spoon and scooped a little and drizzled it with the chocolate.

I normally DON'T "Nibble eat" unless I am cooking fried food (because I tend to cook for around 2 hours or more and the smell is INSANE), so no, I didn't log it. If you do this a lot though, I would log it. Personally, it was the spoonful of ice cream or a bowlful... I made the proper decision, I was satisfied :P.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. It counts.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I try to guesstimate how many calories would be in the item I am tasting and put it in as quick add. Sometimes it is amazing how many calories some of our tastes bites and licks have. Don't deny yourself the bites, but make sure they are fitting in your macros. You are only cheating yourself if you don't
  • luulu1999
    Options
    And I typically log everything down to the two pieces of gum I have each day...but I don't want to have to try to figure out the calories in something that small....i guess I will just break myself from doing it even if its only a couple times a week :(
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Depends on how anal you want to be.

Calorie counting is not exact. How many calories stick to the knife when you spread peanut butter or the measuring spoon? When you make a protein shake, how many calories are left in the glass? Does one slice of bread weigh the exact same as the other one? If you take two identical products off the shelf that are labeled to have the exact same amount of calories and put them in a lab to determine the true calories in the product, you will get totally different numbers.

Bottom line, you want to pay attention to what you're eating, be conscious about the quantity and log as accurately as you can...within reason. And by "within reason" I mean, do what you feel is something you can do on a consistent basis. I started out logging Every. Single. Bite. then I realize that 100 calories here and there weren't going to throw me off track. 100 calories here and there ALL DAY...EVERYDAY...yeah..that's a different story.

One chip with ro-tel...I wouldn't even blink about that.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I log everything! Logging makes you more conscious of everything you put in your mouth.

Say you only eat & don't log one chip & dip now, one mini candy bar later, a couple peanuts, a grape or two, a piece of gum... you could easily add 100 calories without even realizing.

If I go 100 cals over b/c I didn't log my tastes, I'm still at a 20%+ deficit. I don't sweat the small stuff.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Little bites here and there are exactly what caused me to gain weight. So, yeah, I log them all or don't eat them. In fact, I suggest breaking the habit of taking little bites here and there and instead eat things you like at "snack time."
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Depends on how anal you want to be.

Calorie counting is not exact. How many calories stick to the knife when you spread peanut butter or the measuring spoon? When you make a protein shake, how many calories are left in the glass? Does one slice of bread weigh the exact same as the other one? If you take two identical products off the shelf that are labeled to have the exact same amount of calories and put them in a lab to determine the true calories in the product, you will get totally different numbers.

Bottom line, you want to pay attention to what you're eating, be conscious about the quantity and log as accurately as you can...within reason. And by "within reason" I mean, do what you feel is something you can do on a consistent basis. I started out logging Every. Single. Bite. then I realize that 100 calories here and there weren't going to throw me off track. 100 calories here and there ALL DAY...EVERYDAY...yeah..that's a different story.

One chip with ro-tel...I wouldn't even blink about that.

This gets me too with the "super precise loggers". What if I have a strawberry that is just super sweet? Do I have to account for the additional calories due to the increased sugar content of the strawberry? What if I have a "sour" peach? Do I get to knock off a couple cals b/c it's not as sweet (less sugar cals) than the "average" peach?

Unless you analyze each bite of food, the calorie count is a SWAG.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Depends,if I only have a bite and I know it is less than say 20 - 25 calories, I might not, but if I find myself doing it again then I will often do a quick add, but I also allow myself a little hedge room on my exercise and food calories to allow for errs in my day's calculations .
  • luulu1999
    Options
    Depends,if I only have a bite and I know it is less than say 20 - 25 calories, I might not, but if I find myself doing it again then I will often do a quick add, but I also allow myself a little hedge room on my exercise and food calories to allow for errs in my day's calculations .

I do that also I have been trying to stay around 100-200 calories under for that reason
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd either not log it or log some quick add calories to cover it.