Shin Splints

bfbooty
bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
Hi There,
Just wondering if anyone has a miracle cure for shin splints?? i've just keep being told i have to rest them but i really really need to exercise i only usually take 1 rest day a week, emotionally i need to sweat and to workout but i always pay for it after, i do insanity turbo fire e.t.c i've tired bringing the intensity down as much as possible so not to put too much on my joints, i have started a high strength calcium supplement, i'm using a msm cooling gel on them and taking anti inflamatories when they are quite sore.

TIA

Replies

• HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    I find that wearing compression sleeves on my calves has helped a lot. This is in addition to getting professionally fitted for proper running shoes (not sure if that applies to the type of exercise you're doing).
  • bfbooty
    i've never even heard of compression sleeves i must look them up thank you, and yea i got professionally fitted for a decent pair of runners the other day my other ones were well worn and not supporting me anymore
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    - good shoes

- compression sleeve

- make sure you're properly warming up and cooling down, including some good calf stretches

- If you're running 6 days per week, stop...do something else a couple days a week that is less stress and pounding on your legs

- roll 'em...foam roller or I use a rolling pin on my shins
  • Shin splints are something that I've struggled with since joining cross county at the age of 14. Shin pain can take a number of different forms and be from various causes. I know it's a hassle, but your best bet and surest route to recovery is by seeing a sports med doc/ physical therapist/ etc.

Some causes are fairly innocuous - I have found that if I don't run for a few months and then start back up too quickly, I will develop shin splints that only go away with rest, icing, and stretching. I now make a point to make my first few weeks gentle run/walks to ease myself back in.

My main reason for suggesting you seek a pro to diagnose is that sometimes what might appear to be 'shin splints' is something more sinister, such as a stress fracture or compartment syndrome.

Disclaimer out of the way, my 'miracle cure' has been stretching, especially my feet, lower legs, hamstrings, and quads, icing, and sometimes resting my shins altogether by biking or swimming.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Sounds like you are using the wrong type of shoe...... I used to suffer from them as well until my Dr changed out my show type and occasionally when they feel sore I use aspercreme rub on at night.
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    I had a big problem with them, took a break from the running for a few days, and they haven't been back. Try doing more low impact exercises for a couple of days out of the week. I've also heard running backwards for a while helps, but that may just be an old wives' tale.
  • bfbooty
    thanks all, going to go looking for some calf compression sleeves, i am here in ireland and have never seen them but looked them up online so i know what i am looking for now, and will try my best to just do very low impact for the next few days, i#m addicted though i don't get the same effect if my heart rate doesn't elevate and i don't sweat enough iykwim, i need the buzz after a workout, it energizes me for the day and gives me my happy hormones i need, and with 3 young children to look after who are dam hard work i need that happy buzz lol but i have to make myself just rest them i guess and hope they go and the new shoes e.t.c will help prevent them coming back
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    I've struggled a lot with shin splints in the past and had to take over a year and a half off with running hoping that they would go away. I went to the doctor and did physical therapy for several months, but they would never go away. Even without running/other exercise, I would still feel pain in my day to day life. The only thing that worked for me was changing the types of shoes I run in. After finding better shoes, I was able to not only run again, but also have the pain go away entirely. I've also tried compression sleeves, but still those don't help me as much as having the right pair of shoes. Being fitted by a professional is a good start, but it's not foolproof. I've been fitted and the shoes they put me in made my shins worse :grumble: .

When looking for shoes, I really focus on ones that are very sturdy in the heel and make sure that I can't squeeze the heel together (Asics GT 2000 series and Mizuno Wave Inspire are good examples of what I mean). This works for me, but it may be different for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Hi There,
    Just wondering if anyone has a miracle cure for shin splints??

Yup, for me the cure was changing my stride/gait, and then just running more.

I used to not be able to do a mile in faster than 17 minutes due to shin splints. Changed from a heel strike to a midfoot strike and my last 5k was averaging about 10:30 per mile, without pain.

Put in a lot of practice to get there.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member

This is what I do.... or I use this:

https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HD-2400
  • bfbooty
    I've struggled a lot with shin splints in the past and had to take over a year and a half off with running hoping that they would go away. I went to the doctor and did physical therapy for several months, but they would never go away. Even without running/other exercise, I would still feel pain in my day to day life. The only thing that worked for me was changing the types of shoes I run in. After finding better shoes, I was able to not only run again, but also have the pain go away entirely. I've also tried compression sleeves, but still those don't help me as much as having the right pair of shoes. Being fitted by a professional is a good start, but it's not foolproof. I've been fitted and the shoes they put me in made my shins worse :grumble: .

When looking for shoes, I really focus on ones that are very sturdy in the heel and make sure that I can't squeeze the heel together (Asics GT 2000 series and Mizuno Wave Inspire are good examples of what I mean). This works for me, but it may be different for you.

i really hope they have fitted me properly for my shoes cos i just spent a small fortune on them, they measured my gait asked what i needed them for and they actually told me before i told them what leg i had most problem with and asked did i have shin splints, apparently he could tell by looking at my gait?, i am apparently boarderline flat footed, i tried on a few different pairs and went with the ones that felt most supported my foot and arch e.t.c they are an addidas pair? I had asics before they were great up till a few months ago when this all started but someone said i should change my shoes every 6 months?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    i've never even heard of compression sleeves i must look them up thank you, and yea i got professionally fitted for a decent pair of runners the other day my other ones were well worn and not supporting me anymore

Oh, and I also found that getting off the "professionally fitted shoes" lollercoaster was a good idea for me as well. I went to vibram five fingers, and that was huge for me. I'm now trying to get back into brooks "minimalist" shoes, and I find them way too much.
  • bfbooty

This is what I do.... or I use this:

https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HD-2400

thanks, i'll go looking for one of those too :-)
  • bfbooty

Oh, and I also found that getting off the "professionally fitted shoes" lollercoaster was a good idea for me as well. I went to vibram five fingers, and that was huge for me. I'm now trying to get back into brooks "minimalist" shoes, and I find them way too much.

oh i know the shoes you're talking about they are hard to get over here i would have to order online and i don't like ordering shoes online i like to try them on, plus they are so weird looking lol :wink: , i will think about them though if they will help and this doesn't improve soon
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    New shoes that fit my foot and gait properly. If you have a store in town that caters to runners, have them help you select your next pair. I swear they're worth every penny you will pay for them, and you *will* pay for them.