Relatively New to Running.. Legs Hurting

Options
Hello all. I've run "a little bit" off and on for 15 years but It's been a couple of years since I've done. In that time, I've aged (I'm 36 now, not 21) and I'm heavier. I've actually been pleasantly surprised with my cardiac stamina, but my lower legs, knees, and feet give out too soon. Usually when I stop running, it's because I'm aching- not because I'm too winded.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Does it get better? Any advice would be appreciated.

I mean, I'm overweight, but I'm not huge. I'm 5'11, 216 pounds. I started 3 weeks ago at 229.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a C25K program or similar that is going to ease you into it and increase your mileage and speed intelligently as to avoid injury. When I started back in November I was having similar issues because I just tried to dive back into running (track and field once upon a time). I was much better off once I went with an actual program.

Also, make sure your warm up and cool down includes some good stretching. I tend to neglect stretching at times and I pay for it. I could get away with it in my twenties, but pushing 40 now...so not so much.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had this when I first started running and still every now and then when I haven't been consistent or when I run a new route/increase my distance, etc. I usually find if I can distract myself enough to keep running through it the feeling disappears and running becomes easier. The first 1 1/2 miles are always the hardest for me no matter what. Just keep running!

ETA: Make sure you get a proper warm up and include stretching AFTER your runs as well.
  • natty_34
    natty_34 Posts: 20
    Options
    I agree with cwolfman13 but you should also pay attention to hydration. Make sure you are drinking the water you need before and after your workouts. It takes a while to get through the beginning pains of a running program, but you will eventually notice the pain is less and less. I use to get terrible shin splints and charlie-horses at night until I started drinking my 8 cups of water a day. I almost immediately saw a reduction in the soreness and pain. Good Luck!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Do you have a decent pair of shoes (i.e., have you gone to a speciality running store and been fitted for shoes that work for you based your personal gait)? Just a thought, in addition to the fine advice here on hydration, stretching, and gradual build-up...

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • Ellenrosek
    Ellenrosek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely stretch before and after! And also start out in a walk. It will help ease you into jogging.
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I noticed this even when doing the c25k. My feet are always sore for at least the first 3minutes of running and i think they're going to break. They just need to warm up - something that walking alone doesnt do. Push through the foot pain. I also read somewhere running on your toes helps? I dunno. I tend to slap when I do this.

With the knee pain. something I always encountered when trying to get into running. Now I'm alternating strength training and C25K training. I have to say, so far so good. *Knock on wood*.

best of luck with it x
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I started back 2 years ago at 6 foot and about 210. My legs hurt too and I also had trouble with the breathing since I was still smoking at the time. It gets better. Since then I have run 2 marathons with a PR of 3:32:12 and a lot of other shorter races. Just give it time and you soon be feeling like your old self.
  • kaseyrose87
    kaseyrose87 Posts: 125
    Options
    Be careful with this. I had pain in my legs and knees when I started running, I wore crap runners too. I pushed through the pain and ended up with a severe stress fracture in my tibia that went almost all the way through the bone. It could be that your legs are not use to it but it could be the start of a problem. I have never had a broken bone or injury in my life and I got this just from running! Good luck, hope the feel better soon
  • troystweets
    Options
    A so far is sound advice. I found that even after doing the c25k program, hydrating, stretching, etc... I was still having problems with sore knees and sometimes shin splints. I ended up reading an article on different shoe-tying techniques that will help combat the pain. After changing how I tie my running shoes (high arch for me), the shin splints and knee pain have disappeared and I'm now running 5-10k daily. Here's a link to the article I read. http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
    I also find that in my first 10 minutes or so of running my legs will hurt and I want to just give in. But if I push through it for another 3 minutes or so, the pain goes away & my legs are then on autopilot and just keep going.
    Good luck to you.
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Great Link troystweets. Thank you for sharing!