Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Gym

Options
2»

Replies

• squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We're still waiting for that story. I'm dying to know what happened on the way there. Why would you tease us like that and never tell us?

Sorry -- I was trying to be clever and riff off that old movie, "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." My drive to the gym was actually quite pedestrian (har, har).

I will say, I was surprised at how the Smith machine felt. I've seen them referenced thousands of times here on MFP but never tried one in person. It felt spring-loaded, like I could put 100 lbs on there and the machine would help me lift them easily.

I definitely understand the perspective that it might be good for a beginner; however, I'm fortunate in that my gym is currently running a special on training sessions, and I plan to sign up for a few sessions in order to get real live instruction on deadlifts, squats, etc. I did my best to imitate the videos, but of course a trainer would be able to identify things that I wouldn't. I think it will be a good purchase, since I am a novice and would like to do things correctly from the start.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ok, it was actually at the gym, and while it's not laugh-out-loud hysterical, I thought it might provide some amusement here.

BACKGROUND: I've been working through Chalean Extreme, an introductory strength training DVD program. Yes, I know it's not Stronglifts or NROLFW, etc....but it's worked for me. I'm now very comfortable with dumbbells and have made good rookie progress. Thanks to MFP, I've become interested in learning more about "heavy lifting" and Stronglifts and all that good stuff--e.g., where to go after my DVDs are finished.

TODAY: I normally do my weights at home (we have a good range of dumbbells), but today I went to the gym. After reading stuff and watching many YouTube videos on proper form, today I decided to try an actual deadlift with an actual barbell. I used ONLY the barbell because (A) I wanted to go slow, (B) concentrate on good form, and (C) not kill myself (the barbell is heavy for me). Hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?

I did a few of these and then put the barbell away. A middle-aged guy asked me what I'd been doing (he couldn't see from where he was originally). I said I was trying to learn to deadlift. His eyes lit up and he said, "Ah! You should be using this machine over here. Let me show you." He then walked me over to the Smith machine and told me all about how great it was and how it would keep my back straight and not let me injure myself. "See, if you want to make it heavier, just put some weights on the ends!"

He was actually very friendly, and I didn't mind it because I knew that he meant well. We went our separate ways, and it was all good. No harm done. But honestly, I was just trying not to laugh because I knew exactly what 99% of the MFP population would have said to him!

Okaaayyyyy....
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    smith machines are not bad very good for certain workouts and also helps prepare you i would say they are like training wheels till your ready for the real thing whatever helps you make gains do it

e8jpg8.jpg

2ups0o8.jpg

2lay6vk.jpg

4t9fd1.jpg

CT fletcher
    2rx7l38.png
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    there's never a good time to use a smith. You're just robbing yourself of important core work.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My number one use for a smith machine? Bar-tri's. That's a body weight exercise where you lower the bar all the way on the Smith machine and get in a plank position with your hands on the Smith machine's bar. Then use your body weight to do a tricep extension behind your head. You can modify the resistance by the position of your feet: moving your feet closer to the bar (or farther apart from each other) makes it easier. This exercise is a good way to work triceps because it allows you to train to failure without risk of injury.

My number two use for a Smith machine? Rope-tri's. That's a bar-tri (see above) where you hang a rope off the bar and grab your onto the rope when doing the tricep extension.

My number one use for a smith machine? Hang a towel over it.

For other uses of the Smith Machine some translation is required: See below:

Smith machine is good for squats. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
    Smith machine Is good for bench. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
    Smith machine is good for deadlifts. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
    Smith machine is good for incline bench. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    My number one use for a smith machine? Bar-tri's. That's a body weight exercise where you lower the bar all the way on the Smith machine and get in a plank position with your hands on the Smith machine's bar. Then use your body weight to do a tricep extension behind your head. You can modify the resistance by the position of your feet: moving your feet closer to the bar (or farther apart from each other) makes it easier. This exerci
    se is a good way to work triceps because it allows you to train to failure without risk of injury.

My number two use for a Smith machine? Rope-tri's. That's a bar-tri (see above) where you hang a rope off the bar and grab your onto the rope when doing the tricep extension.

My number one use for a smith machine? Hang a towel over it.

For other uses of the Smith Machine some translation is required: See below:

Smith machine is good for squats. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
    Smith machine Is good for bench. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
    Smith machine is good for deadlifts. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.
    Smith machine is good for incline bench. Translation: I'm a beginner and don't know what I'm talking about.

I guess Arnold Schwarzenegger is a beginner in those pictures using. A smith machine
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I used the smith machine the first day I did stronglifts (this past wed) because I was scared I would fall on my butt with the regular rack lol then I came and asked if it was ok to use that machine, and was told its really hard to progress with things like the barbell squats with the smith machine, not to mention I completely did the exercise wrong haha I did it more as a "wall sit" type exercise bahahaha good thing I did it wrong on that machine first though otherwise I really would have fell on my butt! :laugh: