Green smoothies

Options
scronen
scronen Posts: 98 Member
They seem to be all the rage right now. Does anyone drink these? Do they help in weight loss? Any good tried and true recipes?

~Steph

Replies

• Slivnfree
    Slivnfree Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ummm I haven't even heard of them to be honest.
  • frgprncss
    frgprncss Posts: 11
    Options
    I drink my version every morning. I don't know if they help with weight loss, but they are super healthy, and taste great.

1 cup soy or hemp milk
    1 Tablespoon chia seeds
    1 large handful raw baby spinach
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 cup frozen fruit/berries
    large squirt of omega swirl coconut flavor
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I made a smoothie that was pretty green and pretty healthy too I bet

It had:

Frozen mango chunks 1 cup
    6 strawberries
    2 cups of spinach

it's a great way to get all your veggies in a hurry and if you dont like the taste of veggies
  • SuzySuccess
    SuzySuccess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are right - they are the rage!

I make a very simple green smoothie and it is delicious. You will need a sturdy blender and put in the "tough" fruits and vegetables with the water - blend - then add greens.....there are many other fruits and vegetables you can add but being on a budget I keep it simple...great refreshing way to get in vegetables..

2 apples (1 gala/1 Jazz or Pink Lady (something sweet)
    2 cups power greens (from salad container - 1 container makes three days worth)
    2 cups cold water

I pour into two 12 ounce containers - drink one mid day and one in the afternoon (100 calories each)
    You can add carrots/celery/yogurt - whatever you have in your refrigerator.

I use a $50 Ninja....works great!! Can add everything all at once, then blend....Makes good "ice cream too"...blend froz. bananas and froz strawberries....Yum
  • scronen
    scronen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You are right - they are the rage!

I make a very simple green smoothie and it is delicious. You will need a sturdy blender and put in the "tough" fruits and vegetables with the water - blend - then add greens.....there are many other fruits and vegetables you can add but being on a budget I keep it simple...great refreshing way to get in vegetables..

2 apples (1 gala/1 Jazz or Pink Lady (something sweet)
    2 cups power greens (from salad container - 1 container makes three days worth)
    2 cups cold water

I pour into two 12 ounce containers - drink one mid day and one in the afternoon (100 calories each)
    You can add carrots/celery/yogurt - whatever you have in your refrigerator.

I use a $50 Ninja....works great!! Can add everything all at once, then blend....Makes good "ice cream too"...blend froz. bananas and froz strawberries....Yum

Do you think a food processor would work...or one of those magic bullets? That's what I have now. I'm sure I can convince the hubs we need a blender, though.:laugh:
  • SuzySuccess
    Options
    Yes, the Magic Bullet will work.....I would think in your food processor you would have a big liquid mess....when I initially started I was adding too many greens and having to stop and stir/stop and stir....was not fun! Now I don't mind it more watery than thick...

I saw a Ninja at Lowes of all places....but try your Magic Bullet.....can't hurt!
  • SuzySuccess
    Options
    You can also get spinach/rainbow chard and kale (which is the power greens in the salad container) at the farmers market.....I have done this before...very fresh....both are great ways depending on how much time you have....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies. I don't know if I'd say they particularly aid in weight loss and wouldn't promote a "cleanse" or a fast. But I use them to supplement my day with extra fruits and veggies and all of the vitamins, minerals, and fiber that come with them. Mine are pretty veggie heavy with just a hint of fruit for sweetness.

Here's a post all about my recipe and how I make mine. (though, I've since switched to a whey protein powder and sometimes leave it out entirely):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926542-how-make-a-green-smoothie-with-pics
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I once tried adding spinach to my smoothie and I didn't like it at all.

I eat my greens in salads or other recipes I chew and use fruit for smoothies.