Automatic or stick (manual)

runner2runner
runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
I prefer stick!! I love the feeling of actually being in control of my vehicle and the feeling of actually driving! Changing gears, making sure you maintain balance on a steep! I once drove my cousin's Jeep Wrangler which is an automatic and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it!! Just sitting holding the steering wheel the entire way!! That's boring!! I like to drive off, hit that clutch, move that gear lever and feel the car lurch forward as I release the clutch! For me, that's driving!

So which do you prefer?

Replies

• xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    I prefer stick also but have been driving automatics for the last 21 years. I have to have one hand free to assist my kiddo.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Oh you mean cars...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    id only get a stick if my car could make use of it....sports cars, off road. otherwise it just seems like an annoyance. like a stick on a sedan.
  • runner2runner
    Oh you mean cars...

What did you think I meant? Nothing naughty I hope! Ohhh, of course you did!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Last fall I went back to a 6-speed manual transmission after years of driving an automatic. Nothing like it. It's so much more fun to drive.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    I learned to drive with a manual and all my vehicles with the exception of my current (a truck) has been manuals. I'm not sure if I'll go back to manuals or not just depends on what vehicle it is.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    My Dad wouldn't let me get my driver's license in an automatic. Said "everyone needs to know how to drive a manual....in case of emergency" (i.e.: driving someone else's car). I didn't get my first automatic until I was in my late 30s. And I've been racing since I was 15 (Texas used to have early learner's permits!)....
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    I miss my standard a lot of the time until I have to drive into Boston and then screw that
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Manual. All the way. Automatics scare the crap out of me. I want the car to go when I tell it to go, not go just because I took my foot off the brake. A manual gives me more control, which is helpful when I need to get away from an SUV-wielding soccer mom who has a cell phone in one hand, coffee in the other and is looking at her kid in the backseat, all while slowly drifting into my lane. I need to be able to drop it into 3rd and scoot. Not put my foot down and wait a while until the car figures out that I would like to go faster.
    Granted, my car (Subaru Impreza 2.5i) isn't as much fun to drive as my husband's (Subaru WRX), and his current car isn't as much fun as his old car (highly modified Subaru STi that he sold when he decided to be all responsible), but it is more fun to drive than any automatic I've ever driven.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    I prefer stick too, but I drive all day for my job, and 7 years ago when I bought my newest car I decided that I'm done with shifting. I do miss it though for driving in snow, when I would downshift to slow down instead of using the brakes.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Manual. All the way. Automatics scare the crap out of me. I want the car to go when I tell it to go, not go just because I took my foot off the brake. A manual gives me more control, which is helpful when I need to get away from an SUV-wielding soccer mom who has a cell phone in one hand, coffee in the other and is looking at her kid in the backseat, all while slowly drifting into my lane. I need to be able to drop it into 3rd and scoot. Not put my foot down and wait a while until the car figures out that I would like to go faster.
    Granted, my car (Subaru Impreza 2.5i) isn't as much fun to drive as my husband's (Subaru WRX), and his current car isn't as much fun as his old car (highly modified Subaru STi that he sold when he decided to be all responsible), but it is more fun to drive than any automatic I've ever driven.

Heh, I'm totally with ya in theory, but I'll have to throw in that you haven't driven the "right" automatics yet. :wink:
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    My last 5 cars have been manual. I don't even mind driving a manual in San Diego traffic.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    stick! always stick!

I prefer having the control, especially in winter and the rare occasions I am on a dirt road. And for when you need to accelerate fast with little notice lol (passing on a 2 lane highway) :)

it is a bit more hassle in traffic but I don't mind :)
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    I learned how to drive on a stick 40 years ago and think it's the best way to teach kids to drive. They can actually control the vehicle and get a better understanding of how cars actually work. And it always impresses the boys!
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Anything... just let me drive ...

Current vehicle has paddle shift... best of both... I can downshift - no clutch required - so I never scuff up the back of my shoes...

:devil:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    For my "fun" car, manual. But seeing as how I live in the city and have to commute in rush hour traffic, I'd use an auto for that.

Actually for car I'd rather do auto since my "fun" car isn't a car but a motorcycle. =)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Manual.
    My current car is auto because my partner can't drive manual. Annoying part is - he's driven my car ONCE :grumble:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I chose to buy a manual last car I bought, for nostalgia maybe. I am glad I did.
    But, the automatic transmissions these days are so good you don't gain anything with a manual. And, in traffic, I must admit, it is kinda a pain in the rear. Let's face it, most of us drive in traffic most of the time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,135 Member
    I only drive manual! More in control, and I find automatics make me pay less attention.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    In a city with heavy traffic I'm not getting a manual.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Stick only...I have to be in control :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Oh you mean cars...

I know. :sad:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    sadly i only know how to drive an Automatic but i want to learn so badly how to drive stick
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Stick shifts are great on the open road but in city driving, hell no. I'll take an automatic any day.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    I freekn' loath stick.

I operate heavy machinery for at least 7 hours a day. (Excavators, Loaders ect)

The last thing i want to do at the end of it is drive a manual home. (But i do)

Gimme a 6.0ltr SS, then ill drive stick ;)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Right now I have a VW R32 with a DSG. I find it interesting doesn't have the drawbacks of the Automatic. Its a electronically controlled dual-clutch manual gearbox. Fun stuff to drive around.

I do prefer manuals though with the proper clutch setup. I like to break them on the track as stock.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Manual in the city is a pain in the *kitten*. Automatic all day. If I lived somewhere with no traffic, I'd prefer a stick.

It depends on the vehicle too.

In a car (or truck even) you can cut the shifting in half or even less than half
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Heh, I'm totally with ya in theory, but I'll have to throw in that you haven't driven the "right" automatics yet. :wink:
    There isn't an automatic that can compare with a good manual. My mom's Mercedes (a ~$70k turbo something) still doesn't compare to the bone stock WRX, let alone the modified STi, both of which cost less than half what the Merc did. The Merc is a great car and has a lot of pep and will certainly go. It's still not as responsive and fun as just about any manual I've had (Miata, Turbo Beetle, 2.5i, STi and 2 WRXs). My very favorite ever was the STi. There's nothing quite like dropping that critter into third gear and putting your foot down around a curve. 450 HP (to the wheel) and all-wheel drive on a tightened suspension make for a fun trip.
    And for the record, I do commute to work every day in stop-and-go traffic and I still prefer my manual. I'd rather deal with shifting in traffic than deal with an automatic on an open road.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Real men drive manuals...
  • runner2runner

Right with you there!! Having driven both manuals and automatics, I can definitely say manual is the best . Even in the city, I choose manual over automatic any day!!