Dumb avacado,question

Options
pjsdj
pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
As much as I'd like to eat 7 avacado s at a time my food diary won't allow it lol I can maaaaybe do half on a good day so I was wondering what do you guys do when you have leftover avacado so it doesn't grow brown or just waste it?

Replies

• egnirysbust
    egnirysbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just wrap the remaining half (with the pit still in it) in saran wrap and eat it within the next 24-48 hours. Squeezing a lime or lemon wedge over it works too. I've heard that keeping it in the freezer extends its longevity even more, but you lose out on some of the flavor that way.
  • BodyAlchemist
    BodyAlchemist Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Slice avocado length wise Leave seed in one half. Put lime juice on that half to save. Scoop out other half to eat. Use empty half to cover other half and put in container or wrap in cling plastic. You still have to eat it soon but it holds up til the next day.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a good way to use my other half of avocado yet, I hate to waste them.

Sometimes rubbing a little lime or lemon juice helps prevent the oxidation process(turning brown) for a little while. As far as I'm aware it's safe to eat even if turned brown overnight, but I just can't seem to get over it's new look. They make those "avo savers" that they sell in the grocery stores, I don't know if they work, but they seem huge compared to the size of avocado I buy.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just eat the whole thing, haha. Actually, I had a whole one this morning for breakfast... If I dont want to eat it all, I give it to one of my littles. :)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Lime juice, plastic wrap, fridge, eat next day (the longer you wait, the browner it will get!). If there's brown on the top and it's really icking me out, I just scrape it very lightly with a spoon. But it really doesn't bother me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    leave the pit in the other half and zip lock it. It won't keep for long...day or two.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    air tight bag + lemon juice will do the trick. BUT if it does turn brown you can still use it. It's just oxidation and won't hurt you one bit. Also the brown only goes down like and 8th of an inch. I usually just scrape the brown parts off (just cause they look gross) with a spoon.
  • pjsdj
    pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ok awesome I just capped it And Saran wrapped it thanks guys!!!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just buy smaller avocados and eat the whole thing in one meal.