how accurate is the calorie count for exercise??

Options
I've read somewhere before that the calorie count on exercise machines such as the elliptical and treadmill is way off? How bout the calories listed on this site for exercises? Are they weight geared? ( ie...does the calorie count decrease as you lose weight? A 200 lb. person is obviously going to burn more calories than a person weighin 120 lb.)

Replies

• sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    depending on the activity the calories on this site are usually on the high side. I do believe that they adjust by the user's profile settings.
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    im not sure. i just dont eat my exercise calories because im always skeptical about the numbers they put there
  • lsiberian
    Options
    You don't have to move the machine during an exercise so measuring your calorie count is much simpler operation than if you where biking around the block. IOTW a 500lb person and a 200lb person applying the same force over the same distance will burn the same amount of calories. I've heard most machines are inaccurate inspite of this fact. So you'd be much better off using the estimate calculators provides in the exercise tab. Besides if you count your exercise a little lower than it is it certainly won't hurt things.
  • DKWaggoner
    DKWaggoner Posts: 185
    Options
    Yes they are on the high side..The calories on here are way different than my actual machine at the gym says..so thats why i manually in put when possible..
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The calories on workout machines are typically incorrect like you said. It is because they are based on an average for your weight and height and such. Which for everyone it will very. Depending on your VO2 you may burn fewer or more calories. As for the website I never use those calories listed because I don't really trust them either. I don't think they are that accurate because depending on the intensity that you are doing a workout that could alter the calories burned.

So for me I just wear my heart rate monitor and get my calories based on that only.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well if you wanted a more accurate read, then wearing a heart rate monitor during your exercises would tell you better than the machines or the site calculators :smile: