HAVE YOU DONE A SPIN CLASS?

Options
My new school has alot of group exercise classes and I wanna do a spin class. Have you tried one? What are your thoughts on it?

Replies

• NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! it kicks my butt and I sweat like hell but its worth it. music blasting, high energy and feeling totally exhausted after the class....it's fabulous. plus its helped me on the treadmill! just be warned that first couple of times your bum is going to hurt. but you can get padded shorts for that. let me know how it goes!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love them! For the first couple of sessions it made walking up stairs really difficult aha and even now (i've been going to spin classes for 4 years) I still feel knackered after one (in a good way). Definitely try it and see if it suits you!
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I couldn't sit properly for a few days. Not for me. Good luck, though!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Love it! When I first took it in January, all I could do was sit and spin. Now I take the class 2-3 times per week and follow along with all the hover/stand moves. The hardest part is getting over the uncomfortable seat :laugh:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Spin is pretty badass.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Spin class is my favorite, it kicks my butt. You gotta try it. Be sure to have a large bottle of water with you and a towel to wipe the tons of sweat you'll have.
  • kj5850
    kj5850 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE spinning! I stared last August. It helped me get stared on a path that led me to a 70 pound weight loss and being in the best shape of my life! I watched what I ate, stared with a personal trainer in January, started running in February. I am 50 and never thought I would look and feel this good. Go for it !
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    tried it and hated it. Give it a shot though! It's just not for me.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Spin is tough and fun~! a true hard-core workout. Once you spin, you never stop!
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    They're a lot of fun!! Just make sure you take rest periods as needed...don't feel pressured to keep up with the instructor :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I did one.

If I'm pedaling that hard and can't get away from some psycho instructor that's screaming at me.. then I'm in the wrong place. I'd much rather spend my time riding a bike or running if cardio is the focus of the workout. No more of that spin mess for me.

That mess still haunts me.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Prepare for BURNING thighs and glutes! :)
    Have fun.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I use to live and breath spinning until my body started to not get results... I've been spinning religiously minimum once a week for 4 years. I haven't been in 2 weeks and I miss it.

I found that spinning really helped me keep my legs toned. It's amazing for cardio and endurance.

If you have any questions in regards to bike set up or whatever, shoot me over a message. I also have the shoes and everything. I don't go to the class and I'm always asked where I am... that's how often I use to go! lol
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My friend and I would go to my school gym's spin classes all the time. One of my favorite classes they would offer. It was one of my favorite things to do to mix up my weekly work out routine. :)
    Which reminds me, I should start back up with them when school starts again haha.
  • ttjc24
    ttjc24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a certified cycling instructor .....if you have any questions please let me know
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE spinning! It's the only "class" I will even do. Unfortunately, I don't have a gym with classes anymore. :((

So great for cardio and keep you legs really strong. I did have some problems with my knees when I was overdoing many years ago, but I loved that it was not jarring like running. I also think the key is a good instructor so if you try one and aren't sure, try another at a different time with a different teacher. Also, I recommend getting your own seat pad if you try a class and think you like it, they're not too much $$ and make a huge difference.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i havent tried it
    but i say go for it
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Bring some water and a sweat rag, stretch your legs really good before and after, and then every few hours or so after but GO FOR IT. It's a lot of fun and you burn a lot of calories.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love my spinning classes! Right now I mix it up with Zumba and spinning for my cardio. I cant do treadmill or ellipticals by myself, they're so BORING! Spinning is fun, you can go at your own pace/resistance, but you build up endurance pretty fast. And yes, you sweat a LOT so bring a little towel with you. I burn 500+ calories during a spin class.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love it! Unfortunately, my favorite instructor is leaving my gym:( It took a few weeks for me to get used to the seat but after that, I don't even notice. I burn a ton of calories and sweat like crazy. When I get off the bike, there is a pile of sweat on each side of the bike even though I use a sweat towel... I don't do spin exclusively though. I do strength training classes using dumbbells and kettebells, zumba, and then a few different cardio classes. My favorite thing about my spin instructor is she really pushes you and instead of saying "increase the resistance", she says "turn it 2 times to the right and don't touch that dial etc..." Other instructors at my gym are less motivating and I really have to "make myself" keep up the intensity even though some participants around me are on their cellphone and/or lazily pedaling... Of course, the reasons I like my instructor are probably the reasons others don't. Different strokes for different folks:)