How to do meal prep for a week

Options
Hey MFP! I am curious to learning something new about meal prep for the week which save my time to feed myself and my toddler. How long will it take for you to cook it for a week? Did you put container with lid in freeze or fridge? What did you cook for each week?

I will appreciate if you show me your pictures of your meal plan for each week.

Thanks.

Replies

• gorgeoouslady
    Options
    Nobody comment this to TOPIC for meal prep weekly.
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Choose one day, typically Sunday to do your food prep, once you determine what you are making...breakfast, lunches snacks and dinners, you should have all your ingredients ready to go and do your cooking and packing in a few hours in Sunday. Some people like to portion out all their meals into Tupperware. Depending on your needs fridge may work otherwise not to waste food if you cook Sunday for weds dinner, I would freeze the meal and then thaw it when you need it. I keep my lunches in the fridge and have had no problems. Good luck!
  • gorgeoouslady
    Options
    Thank you for explain to me. I have a hard time with my toddler schedule of nap/playing/feed/ while I was exercised to cook and feed myself and my toddler 3 times a day. That would be easy for me to prep meal weekly.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Some people do frozen, I prefer to just eat mostly the same stuff all week.

I generally cook for the week on Sunday's. Sometimes I"ll supplement (like, I ran out of the steak I cooked and ate for three days so today I made eggs. Which took like 5 minutes :)

I also cut up all fruits, veggies, etc when I get them home because otherwise I'm very bad about letting things go bad. I put them in tupperware in the fridge. I also keep things like cheese, olives, whatever to snack on and just grab. It's pretty easy if you're not one of the 'I hate leftovers' types, although I do specifically make things I think will make good leftovers. This is easy in the winter, and in the summer I go towards more fresh stuff like fruit that doesn't really require cooking.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I sit down with cookbooks and the sale flyers for the local grocery stores on Sunday. I meal plan and then grocery shop generally on Sunday. I make plans for what is on sale and then things that I can reuse in left overs. For instance I may make a grilled chicken one night and then two nights later we may have chicken wraps or pasta with grilled chicken added. I do that often with the meat so I get one easy plan dinner because it is mostly cook once eat twice if i can. I also will try to make extra dinner so we can take leftovers for lunch or what ever.

I may make a meal plan that looks something like this:

Monday

Lunch: Turkey Sandwich, Apple, Salad

Dinner: Grilled Chicken, grilled zucchini, grilled squash, rice

Tuesday

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad, pear, cheese

Dinner: Blackened Pork Chops, Green Beans, roasted potatoes

Weds

Lunch: Turkey Sandwich, Apple, Side Salad

Dinner: Something from a cookbook/on line that looked good

Thurs

Lunch: Left over from the night before

Dinner: Pork Tacos (using leftover blackened chops) and rice

Friday:

Lunch: Sandwich or salad

Dinner: Something from a cookbook

I always keep breakfast food on hand: Greek yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, bagel thins, eggs, Canadian Bacon, oatmeal, etc...

I love making new meals at least three or four nights a week - then I will rotate in old favorites. We eat everything -- poultry, pork, beef, fish, pasta, etc... I have moved to a more wholesome ingredient diet including lots of organic foods, whole grains, non GMO products, minimal additives, preservatives, and chemical ingredients.

I do not like to make all my food one day a week as some do -- I plan for the time I will have on a given night and i will use my crock pot on nights I know I will not have time to cook dinner.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I generally look at whats on sale and try to plan around this. Keep quick items on hand for breakfadt, ceral, bagels,eggs etc. Then make a large batch of egg or chicken or tuna salad to eat on a sandwich or lettuce for lunch. Dinner I usually try to make 3 dfferent proteins to swap out through the week . Grilled steak one night, steak wraps the next baked chicken or crockpot chicken one night, then chicken and veggie casserole the next. You get the idea. Just be sure to have all your items on hand. A little planning help a long way