Putting away the scale for a bit- tell me what you think

Options
I've been a "weigh myself everyday" gal since the last time I stopped doing so, I gained a good 15 lbs. Now, after eating healthier and moving more, I am close to my goal weight and want to go for a more toned, muscular look.

After some wonderful advice on MFP, I am dedicating myself to starting to lift, and workout hard. To not get discouraged by the numbers fluctuating on the scale, I'm thinking about "banning" myself from the scale for a little under a month (until I complete 30 day shred)- what do you guys think?

I think it will keep me from getting discouraged by seeing the numbers pop up from water retention, etc, but also scared to lose that "safety device" that keeps me in check.

Replies

• jem302
    jem302 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's totally up to you.

I haven't weighed myself since I started on this site. I used to weigh several times a day, and it dictated my mood for the day. My first weigh-in day will be July 2, one month since I first started tracking on mfp! I'm almost worried about it because right now I feel great, my clothes are looser, my face is thinner, I know that I've lost something and I feel better in general about myself. But I have no idea what to expect that number to be and I am worried that if it seems high I will be disappointed. So I'll see how that goes and if it really has an effect I'd plan for myself to just toss the idea of weighing for awhile and stick to basing my progress on how I feel.

If you have problems with obsessing about the scale, then I'd suggest doing a monthly weigh. If you're ok with seeing the numbers go up and down then it'd be fine to keep weighing. You can also measure to count inches off your body instead of weighing, and count NSVs like belt needing to be tighter, people commenting, clothes fitting differently, etc.
    Good luck :)
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily...when I got sick in december for 6 weeks and for 6 weeks went days without eating, I thought, great, I will lose weight! I didn't weigh myself as frankly just getting out of bed and getting ready for work and making it through the day was all I could manage to do (sleep and work). In January when I got well again, I wanted to start back eating right and exercising and I weighed in and GAINED 17 POUNDS during my illness!!!! I was heartbroken, I thought for sure I had lost since I didn't eat bad food (barely any food at all). Not sure if all that cold medicine and halls cough drops made me gain weight or the body took over and stored anything I ate as fat, but it really sucked. I will never go without weighing again. It totally keeps me in line everyday on what I eat.

BUT...if it doesn't work for you, then don't weigh in. Different strokes for different folks.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning... I realize water weight will fluctuate , but I need to see the numbers to stay on track.... For me it is 'out of sight, out of mind'. Then the pounds sneak back on.

Wishing you continued success in your journey to a new you:flowerforyou:
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh in once every 2 weeks because previously I would weigh in daily and allow a gain to RUIN my day. I feel liberated from the scale now. But I believe if people need to weigh in how ever much they want. For some people weighing in daily actually keeps them on track, for me it does just the opposite. So whatever suits your journey best. :)
  • kellyks2
    kellyks2 Posts: 4
    Options
    PUT IT AWAY !!! i stop going on the scale back in may been doing alot of strength training weights & cardio i pop on the scale last week because i noticed my jeans were baggy & i was feeling really good ...until i saw the number ... not happy & i really wish i never got on it because it really bugs me now & i feel like WTF the scale messes with you best advice don't bother with it just measure yourself ... & i know muscle weighs more than fat but still ....... weighing yourself it's just gonna discourage you