AUGH Do you REALLY need 139 for Protein!???

I got the Muscle Milk today and made better choices and I am still only up to 81 in protein. Isn't 139 a bit much???

Replies

• SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    I am suppose to be eating 160g/day of protein. I struggle to get it in. But, I am trying to meet it!
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    I just spent an hour trying to figure out my goals, too many calculators on the web!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    I almost always go under on protein and over on sugar. Even with greek yogurt and a whey protein drink daily. It is frustrating...one source says 'high protein, high fat, low carb" and the next says, "low fat, moderate carbs" and not too much protein, it's hard on the kidneys....arggh!

I am for about .8 g protein per pound of lean body mass (estimated) which puts me close to 100 grams. If I can get around 100, I'm satisfied.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    I think this is why some people resort to protein bars and protein supplements. Whole food is better for you but you have to do what you have to do. I will say though that 139 g seems pretty high for a woman. I thin it's like 0.7 or 0.75 g per pound a body mass. /That should be more than enough unless you are body building.
  • My protein intake is always high; I lift weights
  • MichelleBogart
    Oh good, I'll re-adjust that then! I have been using the TDEE calculators and the ones with macros keep giving me this really high protein level. I am doing better about it but that's a lot!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    steak and chicken
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Tuna, cottage cheese
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I generally hit 120ish with regular foods, like chicken, lean beef, and fish. You have to get serious about cutting unnecessary carbs, considering breads that are higher in fiber and lower in calories, and making sure that you eat a high protein breakfast.

Try mixing the protein powder with greek yogurt or milk. Greek yogurt with protein powder gives me a minimum of 32 grams for right around 300 calories. That's a good way to start.
  • MichelleBogart
    The only Greek yogurt I have right now is strawberry but I'll give it a whirl. I plan to get some plain, hopefully tomorrow
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Yup, just do it. Today is the foundation for tomorrow.
  • MichelleBogart
    A late night snack of strawberry Greek yogurt and I am at 92 grams of protein, MUCH better than I have been, its a start.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    It does not have to be per body weight but per lean tissue weight. And that number can be what you SHOULD weigh not what you currently do. Lyle McDonald explains it well, according to a quote from his Body Recomposition website:

"So basically we have an intake continuum ranging from about 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) as a minimum for the obese non-training individual up to a high of around 3.3 g/kg (1.5 g/lb) of protein per pound of lean body mass for very lean heavily training athletes or bodybuilders with middle ground values being found in between those two extremes. You’ll note that I didn't put any of those values in terms of percentages for reasons discussed in Diet Percentages: Part 1 and Diet Percentages: Part 2."

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html

So 139 is a bit high but within a decent range if you are a serious athlete, but if not you probably would do just fine on 100-120 grams of protein a day.

An easier way to think of this is what SHOULD you weigh in lean tissue? That in grams is what you should consume in protein grams. For most women that is under 140 lbs. If you are considering a healthy 20% body fat then you are under 120 lbs of lean tissue. The max would be around 120 for most women who do just moderate training more for women who do heavy training.

I figure my max protein is about 140-160 grams a day. I work out about 6 times a week, 90 minutes a day of cross training (spinning, swimming and strength training).

So according to people like McDonald you are fine at about 100 grams and actually at 120 lbs lean tissue that would only require just over 81 grams of protein if you just want the bare minimum.

Protein really helps me not over eat other things so I don't mind keeping my protein levels high and reduce other macros, especially carbs, which do nothing but usually make me more hungry. I use protein shakes to help me hit my protein targets...its almost like drinking chocolate milk a couple times a day...pretty easy
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I generally hit 120ish with regular foods, like chicken, lean beef, and fish. You have to get serious about cutting unnecessary carbs, considering breads that are higher in fiber and lower in calories, and making sure that you eat a high protein breakfast.

Try mixing the protein powder with greek yogurt or milk. Greek yogurt with protein powder gives me a minimum of 32 grams for right around 300 calories. That's a good way to start.

Yes!! And if you are a coffee drinker, try adding whey protein powder to your coffee. I have just found Trutein protein powder and tried samples of most of their flavors...it is pricey, but I find it to be the best tasting BY FAR. And I have tried EVERYTHING out there.

Edited for typos.
  • MichelleBogart
    Thanks again everyone! I will leave my protein amount alone as to what the goal is just to avoid messing any more with numbers. BUT I will keep in mind that 100 is a good day and leave it at that. I appreciate all the help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It sucks, honestly, I have to eat a protein bar most days (it's that or greek yogurt... so I alternate lol). But I'm still over 100g most days (my diary is open, just skip the last 6 days as I've been sick and protein has been a pain to digest).
  • pan0ramic
    pan0ramic Posts: 16

It would seem that the cdc recommends only 46g of protein per day for adult women. I'm not sure where your 100+g is coming from