Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip (super yummy recipe inside)

Options
ambercole
ambercole Posts: 426
This is my absolute FAVORITE snack ever. I eat it with the Special K Savory Herb crackers (which are the best crackers EVAH!!!) and you get to eat 17 of them for only 90 calories!!! SCORE!!!

Roasted Garlic and White Bean Dip

1 head of garlic (less if you're not a garlic lover like me)
1 can canellini beans drained and rinsed
2tblsp+1tsp EVOO
1/4 c chives
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
couple of dashes of hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: black olives. I love them but you can make it without also.

Cut head of garlic in half and drizzle with 1 tsp EVOO. wrap garlic in foil and roast in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
In a food processor, combine beans, EVOO, roasted garlic ( you can squeeze the garlic out of its skin like butter when it's done.) chives, lemon juice, cumin, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend until it is the consistency of bean dip. Searve with crackers or raw veggies. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days. ( Ha!!! Like it's gonna last that long.)

This recipe makes quite alot of dip. If you are the only one eating it then it will probably last you a couple of days. This is also great with fresh broccoli. This keeps me full for a long tome as well since the beans are full of protein.

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish! Thanks!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    This sounds GREAT... but not sure what a Canellini bean is? Same as a white navy bean? Beans are great - some are higher in protein than others - so yeah, if this canellini bean is a high protein bean I'd be interested in knowing more about it.
  • TerraEarth
    TerraEarth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for posting!
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    Yep! just like a navy bean. I have also used navy beans when my store was out of cannelini beans and I couldn't tell the difference.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    excerpt from Wisegeek.com "An excellent source of iron, magnesium, and folate, a single serving of cannellini beans provides more than 20 percent of the recommended daily values of these nutrients. They are also a good source of protein, providing more than 15 grams per serving. Other nutritional benefits include their low fat content and calorie count. Each serving contains only 225 calories and less than one gram of fat."
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    mmm sounds devine, will try tomorrow
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!
    Thanks, I've been looking for a recipe like this for some time.
  • booch221
    Options
    This sounds GREAT... but not sure what a Canellini bean is? Same as a white navy bean? Beans are great - some are higher in protein than others - so yeah, if this canellini bean is a high protein bean I'd be interested in knowing more about it.

Cannellini beans are a variety of white beans popular in Central and Southern Italy, particularly in Tuscany. Other names for the bean include white kidney bean and fazolia bean. They are nice and creamy.

I buy the S&W brand Canellini beans at Safeway. If you cant find them, sub Great Northern beans.
  • booch221
    Options
    I made this. It's VERY good. I worked out the nutritional information:

Makes 1 ½ cups
    Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon = 29 calories, 3 carbs, 1 fat, 1 protein, 1 fiber
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try that this week - sound delicious!!!!
    Thanks for sharing. :)
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting! I'm going to try it!
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    :love: YUM!!!

This will be a great dish for football games! Thanks!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    bump! (what is EVOO?)
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    Bump! Sounds great
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump! (what is EVOO?)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil