8lb in just under 4 weeks

Options
It's not a lot. I lost 2 stone in 6 weeks doing slim fast last year. I've joined a gym am eating healthy, drinking plenty of water. Why is the weight coming off so slowly? Is there anything I can do to speed it up. I'm spending between 45 minutes to an hour at the gym 3-4 times a week and on the days I can't get to the gym I do walking or play the wii fit. Any help or ideas?

Replies

• wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You call 8lbs in four weeks slow?!

Oh boy...
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    I personally think 8lb in 4 weeks is awesome! I usually lose about 5 pounds every 4/5 weeks..Just be patient
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :explode:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 8lb in 4 weeks so I can go on holiday and relax! So looking to se if anyone tells me how. Guessing I need to up the exercise. What calorie goal are you working to?
  • zoielouise
    zoielouise Posts: 21
    Options
    Well I've been eating no more no less than 1200 calories. And it's slow for me considering I usually lose a lot more weight. How long til I make it to a stone?
    When is it that people usually start noticing weight loss?
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The weight is coming off you should be pleased with that, well done!! Using MFP is the way forward. A good steady weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • zoielouise
    Options
    I lost 3 stone using MFP before its definitely worth it! Thanks for the support.
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Zoie, be patient , you are doing an excellent job !! If you lose too much to fast it will only come back.
  • zoielouise
    Options
    Very true. Thank you! Just don't wanna lose my motivation!
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    It's not a lot. I lost 2 stone in 6 weeks doing slim fast last year. I've joined a gym am eating healthy, drinking plenty of water. Why is the weight coming off so slowly? Is there anything I can do to speed it up. I'm spending between 45 minutes to an hour at the gym 3-4 times a week and on the days I can't get to the gym I do walking or play the wii fit. Any help or ideas?

Because your doing it properly now. 8llb eating properly is better than 2 stone eating slimfast crap.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    First, 2lbs/week is the safest amount to lose. So your 8lbs in 4 weeks is right on track and it is not 'slow'.

Second, you should do more reading on physiology and how the human body works like an engine. Simply eating the minimum 1200 calories is not always the best plan for everyone and MFP is definitely NOT a weight loss bible. Knowledge is power.

Third, don't get sucked into these extreme weight loss shows and think that it is the proper way to lose weight. Those people spend hours and hours in a gym with personal trainers and have their entire diet monitored and designed by nutritionists. if you check back with most of the contestants, many have regained the weight.

Lastly, getting fit and healthy is a mental game. There's a reason people gain weight (granted there are some biological reasons as well). Most people have some emotional baggage or addiction issues that cause them to seek comfort in food. You have to keep your head in the goal. Your mind controls your body so if you are mentally/emotionally healthy you can more easily be physically healthy.
    How long til I make it to a stone?

It will take as long as it takes. You cannot schedule fat loss nor can you target fat. Your body knows what it needs and will shed fat when it feels it is safe to do so. All you can do is be consistent, committed and patient.
    When is it that people usually start noticing weight loss?

Depends on what you mean by 'weight loss'. I can gain or lose 5 pounds in 2 days, but that's just water weight. Some people can lose 3 pounds just by having a good bowel movement. Others lose 'weight' but they are really losing lean muscle, not fat. Your goal should be FAT LOSS. Sadly 'fat loss' takes time and can be unnoticeable for quite a while, but when it does show it really shows.

If all you have is a body scale you should look into other tools like a body tape measure, calipers, or even a body fat meter. The scale simply shows the pull of gravity on your body, not your body's composition.

I wish you good luck on your journey...
  • zoielouise
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I understand weight and fat loss takes time I just sometimes get impatient. I noticed the first week I was starving but I stuck to it. Ever since then whenever I feel hungry I drink water or do some exercise, eventually the hunger subsided.
    My aim is to lose quite a lot of weight but I think with the right mind I can achieve this goal. Thank you to everyone for your support and advice.