why am i constipated?

Options
my first step was to get my diet in check (and because I want some good results in terms of body composition) I want to try and eat smart but not to healthy because I'm a growing teenager and I don't want to restrict myself to much, but My diet may be well balanced but it's making me constipated, my diet basically consists of brown rice, chicken, turkey, tuna, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, green veggies, milk, wholewheat pasta, peanut butter, fruit, cheese, olive oil, fish, oats, cereal (on the odd occasion) and other complex carbohydrates/protein/fats. but although my diet seems relatively healthy it gives me way to much fibre 60g a day! and it's causing me to bloat and feel like ****, I haven't gone to the toilet in like 8 days (for a poo) what can i do to my diet to reduce my fiber? if i take out rice what should i replace it with? how and what should i take out and incorporate as a replacement to help lower my fiber? thank you. (I also take lactulose solution and other medication to try and get a bowl movement and nothing still)

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    8 days is much too long to not go. You may need to see your doctor about that before it becomes an issue that you cant fix alone. Yes i would try to cut that fiber down to no more than 20g a day. For me personally i found that taking a 250mg magnesium supplement twice a day ( also supports nerve and muscle function) have been the trick to keeping me quite regular. There is also a tea i drink call Get Regular ( not sure if you can get it at a reg store or just a health food store) and i drink that before bed and can usually go first thing in the morning if i need help.

Definately get something asap since not going for that many days could be very harmful.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    8 days is a serious problem, tell you parents and go to the doctor. You can cause permant damage to your bowels if you let it build up.

Reduce your fiber and up your water intake as well
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a Doctor and eat more fibre
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Umm... DOCTOR... NOW!

Up your water intake definitely, especially if you are truly eating all the fiber you say you are in your OP.

But seriously, consult your Doc... a blocked bowel is a serious issue and can kill you.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Obviously you aren't getting enough fiber. I didn't see you list many fibrous foods. I'd start there. First toto the doctor. Then toto wal mart and get the generic fiber powder
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    How much have you cut out fat? A healthy level of healthy fats will help you go, as it in a way "greases the pipes" (lol, sorry for that but it's true). And I agree with everyone who has said to go to the doc, 8 days is getting on into concerning territory.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    How much have you cut out fat? A healthy level of healthy fats will help you go, as it in a way "greases the pipes" (lol, sorry for that but it's true). And I agree with everyone who has said to go to the doc, 8 days is getting on into concerning territory.

Fat!

Fat does it for me every time. A big old heavily marbled steak puts me way over my normal fat intake and does wonders for me the next day in the bathroom and as a bonus, you get to eat steak! Heck, even brush some butter on it near the end of cooking. Sure, you are going to go over your calories for the day but that is of secondary importance for you at the moment.
  • CrimsonHolly
    Options
    While most people don't get enough fiber, there is such a thing as eating too much fiber. It's really best to gradually increase your fiber. Introduce too much too fast can cause constipation. You need to give your body time to adjust.

Definitely see your family doctor and drink lots of water.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to cut it as far back as 20g of fiber a day, as pp have said, but personally things start getting difficult for me at over 50g. I'd say cut it back to around 40g and see how it works for you. I will change my eating plan for the day to keep my fiber below 45g--I would suggest managing your fiber levels a little more actively.

And as others have said, make sure you're drinking plenty of water, and getting your fat in. Of course we all have different digestive systems, but I do 35-45g of fiber a day with 30% of my calories from fat (and at least 75 oz of water) and I do not have any problems going daily.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 now, but when I was about 19, I ended up at the doctor with a problem similar to yours. I was dieting and was not eating any fat or drinking much water. I was miserable and the doctor prescribed an enema. What I learned: fat in absolutely necessary for your body and water is even more important. When I am constipated like you describe, I PUSH water. I drink drink drink and drink some more and within a day or so, I get relief. Oh, and when I was suffering like you are, the doctor told me that when you drink water, your bowels are about the last place the water goes. So that means you need lots of water in order for it to get to the bowels. Good luck.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    drink more water!!! you are supposed to drink half your weight in ounces of water every day.

if you weigh 150, drink 75 oz of water a day
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Try some caster oil and then adjust your diet.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this a lot. Some people have good luck with soluble fiber, I'm the opposite, it makes it worse! First and foremost drink more water. The more protein you eat the more water you need. High protein diets can cause constipation. Also, I would cut back on the dairy. Cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt, all are good for you but also can cause constipation. If that doesn't work increasing fat like others have said is good. Avocados do it for me. If regular fiber is making you gassy and bloated try insoluable fiber, it works great without the bloat and gas. Then what I turn to last is Miralax. It's not a laxative it just draws more water into the colon. Again, water water water :-) Good luck and be sure to talk to your parents.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    Fiber is great for getting you to go, however if you increase your fiber and you don't drink enough water it can cause some serious constipation. You need to seriously increase your WATER intake. Fluids do not equal soda, coffee, etc. Also, increasing your fruit intake. Especially apples and bananas, if you have one of those a day it should help get things moving. Finally, a big greasy bacon cheeseburger with chili fries. That always does the trick! :bigsmile: But if you are already taking lactulose and other OTC drugs to help with this issue and you haven't had any results after a couple day of being on it, then I highly suggest seeing your doctor asap. You could be impacted by the point. During my nursing rotation in the hospital I had a patient that had a blockage that went untreated for so long they started vomiting feces. So .... ya....DOCTOR.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    my first step was to get my diet in check (and because I want some good results in terms of body composition) I want to try and eat smart but not to healthy because I'm a growing teenager and I don't want to restrict myself to much, but My diet may be well balanced but it's making me constipated, my diet basically consists of brown rice, chicken, turkey, tuna, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, green veggies, milk, wholewheat pasta, peanut butter, fruit, cheese, olive oil, fish, oats, cereal (on the odd occasion) and other complex carbohydrates/protein/fats. but although my diet seems relatively healthy it gives me way to much fibre 60g a day! and it's causing me to bloat and feel like ****, I haven't gone to the toilet in like 8 days (for a poo) what can i do to my diet to reduce my fiber? if i take out rice what should i replace it with? how and what should i take out and incorporate as a replacement to help lower my fiber? thank you. (I also take lactulose solution and other medication to try and get a bowl movement and nothing still)

Any dietary change usually requires your digestive system to take at least a few weeks to sort itself out.

That said, your diet sounds very low in fat and very high in fiber. That's a recipe for constipation in my experience. Your diary is closed so we can't see what you're eating, but you should probably reduce fiber and increase fat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Obviously you aren't getting enough fiber. I didn't see you list many fibrous foods. I'd start there. First toto the doctor. Then toto wal mart and get the generic fiber powder

The dude is eating 60 grams of fiber a day.

Obviously not getting enough fiber? Are you kidding me? He's getting much, much more fiber than is normally recommended. The last thing in the world he needs is more fiber.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia. I have chronic constipation and this is what my gastroenterologist recommends. If this is not a super common problem for you, this is probably all you need. If you feel as though it is happening more frequently, definitely see a doctor to check it out.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    (experiencing the same issue; but not for 8 days ... but several days a week. i use to be very regular and even go more than once a day ... this constipation is really hard to understand)