first 5 k how long did it take you?

Options
Today I "ran" my first 5 k , actually 3.14 miles. It took me almost 55 mins. My real 5k event is not until October so I have time to improve, but I was wondering how long it took you to run yout first 3+ miles?

Replies

• aggglee
    aggglee Posts: 3
    Options
    39min and 40 seconds. My goal was just to be under 40 min and I was extremely proud. Just as you should be in finishing your first 5k. And don't worry if you stick to it you will definitely improve by October.
  • Judykv95
    Judykv95 Posts: 10
    Options
    My 1st one was about 50 minutes. The most recent one was just under 40 which I was super excited about since I am not a "runner".
  • ThompsonH
    Options
    wow 5k! i dont think i could run 1 mile..lol. I started jogging about 1 mile with brisk walking when i got too winded, but ive stopped. Im going to start back this week or ill never build myself up. That is motivation for me, if your goal is 5k mine should start out with 1-2 miles at least ..thanks
  • MCE2bthin
    Options
    I am still super slow - but on week 7 of the Couch to 5k program - which is great by the way. I am generally taking about 42 minutes to do the 5k distance - but my first race isn't until October. I am hoping to get through my 5k training program and add in speed workouts between now and then and get my time under 40:00. I think I can be happy with that as a first timer and very novice runner.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    My first one was 43 min. It doesn't matter how long it takes you are out there doing it. Next month will be 2 years running/walking for me. Now I consider myself a triathlete. Not a very fast one but I get out there and do them. So get out there and do those 5k's and eventually longer races.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First one was just under half an hour, now down to just over 22 mins ish!
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    My first 5k (at home on the treadmill) was about 35min - that was about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks after i started running. My most recent 5k event my time was 29:27. I did a 10k in June at 1:03:10 - but that was 25lbs ago - I'm pretty sure I could do better now. And I have my first half marathon in 28 days!

The best gauge for progess is beating yourself by a few seconds with each effort!! Congratulations on your progress!!!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    My first 5k race was 36:12. That was 8 years ago. :) Now I am in the 24s (after taking years off of running). Just keep up the good work!! Plus you are ALWAYS faster in the real race. Just focus on finishing!
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    mine was 56 minutes...walking fast (no running) while pushing my kid in a stroller. my second one was around 53 mins with no stroller and trying to jog here and there
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My first one was a brisk walk after suffering from SPD during my pregnancy and it took me 46 minutes. This year I ran my first 5K in the Race For Life and did it in 25 mins!! Was really quite proud of myself too as hadn't been running for long! :)
    -x-
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    35 mins