5ft under whats helped make thedifference in your body

IE, What have you found has helped strength training, cardio, upping cals, lowering cals.... anything

Replies

• LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Good post!

Maybe 5'3 / 5'4 and under would fit into one group.

So far for me with my 4 mths on MFP:

FOOD: Clean eating in terms of health wise, changing my groceries completely.

WORKOUT: I started with a lot of cardio and I lost 12 lbs, but after 2mths the weight loss stopped so I switched to running and strength training -Hopping for results (3wks in) I feel my body toning a bit.

I am interested in reading what has worked for others in terms of body transformation.
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Im 5'3 and I love Jillian Micheals workouts :) Just finished Workout #2 of the day >>> Week 2 of Ripped in 30. I burned 354 calories... Now its time to rest a bit until tonight when we go for workout #3 More of Couch to 5K #focused #teamfitandsexy
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Honestly, upping my cals and zigzagging them. Eating clean and running. Strength is on my to do list!
  • I'm 5 ft exactly. I found that Jillian Michaels every day makes a huge difference, it definitely upped my metabolism like crazy so I can eat more calories than I was ever able to before.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Im just under 5ft- I found lower carbs (100ish) and lifting have been most helpful. I've gotten good results from insanity too but lifting is easier and had similar results. I have upped my calories and lowered my calories many times- I think 1600-1700 has worked best. 1800- 1900 I was losing really slowly, under 1500 and I was tired all the time. I dont eat exercise calories back either- just to confusing for me.
  • helenld1
    helenld1 Posts: 233 Member
    Just under 5ft here! I find that strength training really made the difference for me. Its making me more toned and I feel better. I keep an eye on my carbs but I'm not obsessive about them.

Plus just acknowledging that I am short - I know this sounds obvious. No matter how hard I work my legs, I will never have super skinny model legs. Once I got past that I was fine. lol
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Bump
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Clean eating... CrossFit
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Im just under 5ft- I found lower carbs (100ish) and lifting have been most helpful. I've gotten good results from insanity too but lifting is easier and had similar results. I have upped my calories and lowered my calories many times- I think 1600-1700 has worked best. 1800- 1900 I was losing really slowly, under 1500 and I was tired all the time. I dont eat exercise calories back either- just to confusing for me.

I'm pretty much like this. I'm 4'11" and I cycle 25-30 m iles daily and recently started strength training. I net between 1550-1650 daily. I eat some but not all of my calories. I'm 60 so stay on the "shy" side of my TDEE and calorie counting.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    I am 5'0". Running has really helped me lose the inches and strength training has helped me build muscle and tighten things up. I didn't really cut anything out of my diet, but I now make more of a conscious effort to eat more fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. I am just making sure everything fits my macros and practicing portion control. Deprivation does not work well for me.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    5'0" here. Age 47. Started at 200+ lb and am now at 155 lb. When I started losing last year, I did a lot of cardio. Took a break through winter of last year, but started again in April working with a personal trainer who has me doing Olympic lifts (deadlifts, squats, overhead press, etc). Last year doing a lot of cardio, I shrank but my body shape stayed pretty much the same. This time around, I'm seeing bigger changes in how my body looks.

Diet-wise I started eating more whole foods and cooking at home more. Packing a healthy lunch and snacks for work instead of eating lunch out. Also focusing on keeping an eye on protein has helped. I try to get 1g per pound of lean body mass, which for me is right around 100g. I'm trying to keep my carbs under 150g per day (per my physician's suggestion). That said, I do allow myself a cheat meal here and there. I realize I have to be able to make this a real lifestyle change, and I love food., So I can't completely cut out pizza and ice cream.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I forgot to mention, I also do HIIT cardio for 30 minutes after lifting.
  • April_Christine
    April_Christine Posts: 66 Member
    Just under 5ft here...to get me where I am today...the last 126 days I have been doing JM Ripped in 30, Pauline Nordin Butt Bible, and Chris Freytag HIIT series and really trying to eat clean!! Of course I have had ups and downs but problably the biggest thing is to get back at it when you fall off your plan. I am in the best shape I have ever been in as far as muscles and endurance...still have that belly fat trying to get rid of so I just joined eliteonlinefitness.com and started a 6 wk bootcamp focusing more on lifting and HIIT.

This is an interesting post...cant wait for more responses!!! :bigsmile:
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    I'm exactly 5'. Besides a calorie deficit I noticed heavy dumbbell lifting (don't have a barbell yet) changed my upper body a lot! For the better IMO. i definitely experienced the newbie gain. and I do squats and lower body exercises too, but I have more body fat in my lower half so the changes aren't quite as dramatic, to me. Except my booty, it's definitely looking better then it was :) Now I'm trying to lose fat while maintaining my LBM.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Good post!

Maybe 5'3 / 5'4 and under would fit into one group.

So far for me with my 4 mths on MFP:

FOOD: Clean eating in terms of health wise, changing my groceries completely.

WORKOUT: I started with a lot of cardio and I lost 12 lbs, but after 2mths the weight loss stopped so I switched to running and strength training -Hopping for results (3wks in) I feel my body toning a bit.

I am interested in reading what has worked for others in terms of body transformation.
    hopping for results should get you there that much quicker!
  • I'm 5'2", 128lbs and I find HIIT, SLED and CIRCUIT training helps me a lot. Go big or go home!
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    4ft 11
  • GhoulMango
    GhoulMango Posts: 10 Member
    I'm 5'4", but I think regardless of height bumping up the intensity of my workouts has helped tremendously. Started sprinting three times a week. Twice on a flat surface, once at an incline or on a hill. Flipping tires, adding kettlebells, not goofing around so much, going in with a plan, etc. Eating more food has helped a lot too as well as strictly limiting foods that caused me to seriously bloat. Maintained my muscle, strength, speed, etc. and slowly but surely my body fat began to drop. You need to eat! I wouldn't suggest anyone go under a net of 1800, ever. Being short doesn't automatically mean your body can survive on a starvation diet. Eat up, kick up the intensity of your workouts, have specific goals, and treat yourself kindly :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    4 ft 11

Watching calories and working out. Currently doing T25 at home. Finally found dvd series I stick with.

Original poster is no longer on MFP
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Lifting as heavy as I possibly can (I'm one of "those" Stronglifts people :blushing:).
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    I am between 5' and 5'1". I have found walking and Jillian Michaels DVD work very well. I also don't eat sugar or carbs that are not whole grains.