Eat What You Love Cookbook

Options
sclaibo
sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
So I just bought the Eat What You Love and Eat More of What You Love cookbooks by Marlene Koch. I was inspired to purchase them (off Amazon) after seeing them on QVC. Has anyone made any recipes from the cookbooks? If so, do you have a favorite recipe or anything you love/hate about the book(s)?

Replies

• sclaibo
    Options
    Has Anyone even heard of this cookbook?
  • sclaibo
    Options
    Well, I just tried a couple recipes out of this cookbook recently. For anyone that may be searching this, I will periodically comment on what I've tried. So far I've made country corn muffins, crispy waffles, and orange chicken. The corn muffins were ok when eaten plain. My gripe about them is that they are made with Splenda and so when eaten plain, it has that splenda after taste. However, when eaten with butter (the way I feel corn muffins should be eaten), these muffins are SUPERB and I highly recommend them for like a family dinner!

The crispy waffles were de-lish! I made them for my husband and he loved them too. They can be made crispy or fluffy. It has a little bit of a cinnamon taste which is good. I ate it with Costco's maple syrup instead of making my own. I will definitely be having this as a guilt-free guilty pleasure meal!

Last night I made the orange chicken and was HIGHLY disappointed. I guess highly was too strong of a word since I didn't expect too much from homemade orange chicken. I think I will leave the orange chicken to the chinese restaurants. If you are looking for a healthier alternative that does not skimp out on the taste, then this recipe is not it!

Things I am looking forward to trying this week: the stir fried rice, oven baked chicken, onion rings, and chicken fried chicken with gravy!
  • sclaibo
    Options
    Just made the best ever oven fried chicken. It came out great! I didn't have any plain bread crumbs but I made half with panko and another batch with Italian bread crumbs. The ones with the Italian bread crumbs were to die for! The panko ones were also delicious, but I will definitely make the next batch with Italian only.

As soon as I get some half and half I will make the chicken chicken fried steak with cream gravy. I also want to make the cheesecake!
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow! A thread all your own for over 2 months! :ohwell: But hey, now I'm here!

Just wish I cooked at all. Would probably be able to cut down on my sodium intake if I ate something that wasn't pre-processed.

*hugs*

It does sound like an interesting cookbook though.
  • tanya0324
    tanya0324 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I heard about this book on the weight watchers site and had been wondering about it. Received a few revipes from her newsletter but have yet to try them.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Share more! I'd love to come back and see what worked and what didn't. I can imagine how the orange chicken tasted because I don't even like it at the Chinese restaurants and I love Chinese food haha...looking forward to more reviews :)
  • Bettyrader
    Bettyrader Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have seen these cookbooks on QVC too, but I have been afraid to buy them. But thanks to your post, I now know some of the recipes are good and maybe I will get them. On QVC they always mention a shake, I think it is called cake batter, have you tried that? I think it sounds amazing!
  • sclaibo
    Options
    So glad to see people taking an interest! I have renewed my posts b/c i have seen the books again on qvc and figured people might be interested. I would DEFINITELY recommend getting the books. I find the recipes simple, for the most part and most of what I have made has been delicious. As I mentioned before, I was not a fan of the orange chicken or the general tso's chicken; although, for the general tso's chicken, what turned me off was the sauce that again had the splenda after-taste. Before putting the chicken in the sauce, it was really good!

The stir fried rice was REALLY good. I put some shrimp in it and it was VERY comparable to what you would get at a chinese restaurant. So if you have a craving for chinese, make the fried rice!

I also made biscuits for breakfast. Those were good, but if you are expecting light and fluffy biscuits, you can forget it. These are traditional drop biscuits that, when served with jam, are excellent! They are very good even without jam and definitely curbed the carb craving!

I also made the book's pancakes, which were terrible! My husband told me that these were the worst pancakes I ever made, and I happen to agree. If I want something with some syrup, I will stick to the waffles!

@Bettyrader: I haven't made any of the drinks yet, though I really want to. I am waiting on my vitamix (which I can't yet afford, but i am hoping i will soon). As soon as I get a vitamix, I will start blending away!

For those considering the book, like I said, I think you should definitely get it, especially if you want to eat what your family eats. I'm married, but my husband lives in a different city, so what I make usually lasts me a few days, which is good! Plus, he mostly likes it. With any recipe book, you won't like everything you try. Also something to keep in mind is that not every recipe has a picture. I actually believe that the recipes that do have a picture are the "good" recipes. I say that b/c the ones with the pictures ALWAYS come out good and the ones without pics are hit and miss. And if you are going to only buy 1 book, but the first one. The 2nd one is kind of dependent on the first one and most of the good and basic recipes are there.

Will post more things as I try them and if any others have questions, please feel free to msg me as I don't check this post often.
  • steffieegirl
    steffieegirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have two of her cookbooks, eat what you love, and eat more of what you love. I love them both. The orange chicken in eat what you love is amazing. I cook it all the time, plus her desserts are awesome!!
  • bunny92441
    bunny92441 Posts: 42
    Options
    yes! I have both of her cookbooks. I have made a few of the recipes and so far I have not been disappointed. My husband, who is a fussy eater, has also liked the recipes. I have other recipes bookmarked also.

I have made:

Turkey Scallopini and Creamy mushroom Sauce (Excellent!)
    One Pot Turkey Sausage Dinner ( good)
    Stovetop macaroni and cheese (tastes a little like Kraft Mac)
    Blueberry Cheesecake Bars (to die for!)
    Classic Italian Frittata (excellent!)
    Corkscrew Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo (Excellent!)

I also made the Everyday Italian meatballs last night. I love the ground turkey with the ground beef. Very moist.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just came across this thread now. I have heard of this book, but never tried any of the recipes before but I will take your word for it. Just a suggestion for the muffins, you do not have to use splenda, you can actually use sugar, just not too much. I have the same feeling about artificial sweeteners, I do not like the taste.
  • bunny92441
    Options
    I do not use Slenda either. It says you can use trivia which I used.It doesn't have that bitter taste.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. very interesting!
  • bunny92441
    Options
    I made the Quick n easy quiche for lunch today. Very good!
  • tlog73
    tlog73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I love cookbooks and think that if I don't cave and buy these, I will ask for them for Christmas. I also signed up for her newsletter.
  • ReeLani
    ReeLani Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm new to the forums, love to cook, and especially love to eat stuff that tastes good. I appreciate the recommendations and reviews and will check out these books. Might try to get through my library system before I decide to buy. Looking forwward! Thanks.
  • sclaibo
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! @bunny, I will definitely be trying some of the one you really liked, particularly the turkey with cream sauce and the corkscrew alfredo for those pasta craving days!
  • WatchMeSoar
    WatchMeSoar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also have both books and love the County fried steak with smashed potatoes and gravy!!! YUMMY I also have cookbooks by Hungry Girl - Lisa Lillien they are also very excellent books!!!!:glasses:
  • Turtle1794
    Turtle1794 Posts: 70
    Options
    Hey! I saw this and decided to buy this cookbook. Tonight I made a chicken Alfredo and the sweet potato puff and both were very good. I really thought that while I was making them I was doing something wrong and it would turn out bad, but when I started eating the pasta it was amazing. The sweet potatoes where a bit too sweet, and I added too much greek yogurt, but besides that and the fact it was hard to mash the potatoes it was very good. :) Thanks for making this.
  • bunny92441
    Options
    Tonight I made the Biscuit and Burger Pie. It was excellent and my husband loved it also. It's a lot like sloppy joes but, a lot better and a biscuit on top. :)