new to running, need advice/motivation ANYTHING :)

Options
Hi everone!!

Ok so i want to start running tomorrow morning around 7:30am frequently (dreading the lack of sleeping in) and would love any tips on morning runs.

This question has probably been asked a million times and then some, breakfast before or after? or is it best just to have a snack?? whats the best snack? Also is interval training i.e. 5 minute run and then 2 minute walk better or should I train myself to go for full runs?

My fitness is pretty good and I go for hour walks atleast twice a week ontop of gym 4 times. I am super keen on doing this however have not taken it seriesly untill now, what motivates you to go for morning runs and stick to it???

Any advice is probably more than what I know now so a huge thanks to all who respond!!!:happy:

Replies

• aggglee
    aggglee Posts: 3
    Options
    interval is the best way to stick with a new running program and not injure yourself. Couch to 5k is a great one and there are plenty of variations of that idea. As for sticking with a morning run Good luck on that one I still can't seem to get a morning program together. When I do water and a light carb snack like banana seems to be good about 30 min before I go.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am newer to running too, but I find that I am better if I have something light but high in protein before I go out. I like to have almonds and some fruit, or a protein shake, or a boilded egg and some toast. I don't want a lot, but something is easier than nothing. I did the couch to 5K and found that I was able to accomplish that easily. I set little goals for myself, make it to the end of the road, make it to the 3rd stoplight, run for this song then you can rest for a minute. This keeps the goals little and acheivalble and when I do complete them I feel good and helps keep me motivated. good luck!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    interval is the best way to stick with a new running program and not injure yourself. Couch to 5k is a great one and there are plenty of variations of that idea. As for sticking with a morning run Good luck on that one I still can't seem to get a morning program together. When I do water and a light carb snack like banana seems to be good about 30 min before I go.

I agree with Aggglee, the Couch to 5k program is great. That is how I learned and have run two 5k's, two 4 mile runs, a 5 mile run and this weekend for the first time a 10k. Before the C25K program I said that my body was not made for running, now I am loving every minute of it. Intervals are a great way to start and do it right as to not injure yourself and enjoy the process. The banana about 30 mins before is also a great idea. I do normally have my breakfast and wait 60 mins before running, but if you are just having the banana 30 mins should be good.

Good luck and remember to enjoy the process. :bigsmile:
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options

I agree with Aggglee, the Couch to 5k program is great. That is how I learned and have run two 5k's, two 4 mile runs, a 5 mile run and this weekend for the first time a 10k. Before the C25K program I said that my body was not made for running, now I am loving every minute of it. Intervals are a great way to start and do it right as to not injure yourself and enjoy the process. The banana about 30 mins before is also a great idea. I do normally have my breakfast and wait 60 mins before running, but if you are just having the banana 30 mins should be good.

Good luck and remember to enjoy the process. :bigsmile:

Great work and well said! And I agree, enjoy the process more than anything.

For me, I need to eat before I do anything. Some people don't need to. You know your body best.

I'll be doing my first half marathon next June, so believe me...You can do anything if you just try. :)
  • Pete_Luxford
    Pete_Luxford Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Interval is the way forward and highly proven to work.

I started a running club in my town and so many people joined who said they couldn't run and within a few weeks were doing 3-4 miles by following a gradually increasing run/walk programme.

My advice is to make sure you take walk breaks before you really need them. If you run until you can't run anymore you never fully recober on the wlk break and what happens is the running bits, get shorter and shorter and shorter which is mentally very dispiriting.
  • Pete_Luxford
    Pete_Luxford Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you are planning on running early in the morning, lay your kit out before you go to bed so that it is there for you in the morning. It's a lot harder to avoid the run, if it means you have to put away your kit knowing you didn't go!!
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    Couldn't have asked for more thorough advice! thanks so much everyone! appreciate it heaps! will def do interval training and grab something light before i leave!! jjtonic75 and isotope, goodluck! thats really inspiring and jensbran i will definetly be copying you!

Also pete i wish you started a running club down where i live, would be way more motivating, but you guys have inspired me enough, lets just hope i wake up and get my butt out of bed!

So don't want to sound ignorant but what is couch to 5k?? I have heard it everywhere!!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5k means couch potato to 5k
    http://myfitnessguy.wordpress.com/about/
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

i use the c25k lite app on my phone. works great and you can still listen to music. Love it!

Good luck with your first run!
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    couch 2 5k means couch potato to 5k
    http://myfitnessguy.wordpress.com/about/
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

i use the c25k lite app on my phone. works great and you can still listen to music. Love it!

Good luck with your first run!

thanks rachel! an amazing site! went for the run and wasn't as bad as i thought it would be! did 35 minutes. Your on week two! wow! you go girl!! i need to getthis app :)
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice is listen to your body and take it easy - don't rush things. The last thing you want to do is overdo it, injure yourself, and then get discouraged from exercise!

I also suggest getting a pedometer (or using one of the ones you can download on your iphone/android) to help you track your progress. iTreadmill and RunKeeper are good apps if you go that direction.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear your run went good! keep it up! It will get easier with time and before you know it you'll have a runners body!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of the Couch to 5K plan, and I'm loving it!

I'm doing it three times a week, so I can plan for it, and I'm usually eating something simple maybe 30 minutes before I start, like was said, a banana, or a piece of toast with peanut butter on it, and not too much on the liquids. I run on a treadmill, I'm down to 266 pounds from 300 lbs, but I'm still heavy, so good shoes and a treadmill are the way to go for me, the treadmill is a lot more forgiving on my knees and ankles. I actually look forward to my run days, I've never been a runner and the idea that I could run at 10 km/h for 30 minutes seems like a dream, but here I am at week two day two and I'm still doing it!

Best of luck!

Cheers!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Whoops double post......:embarassed:
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    disneyfetishboy, def going to invest in a pedometer and downloaded the app version, thanks for the heads up. staUblett thats awesome!! can't wait till i enjoy running:tongue: however i don't think i'm a treadmill person. i need the outdoors!

Rachel, i am doing the c25k!! week 1!! go us haha!! oooh a runners body! can't wait for that milestone!

now i need to make a mix on my iphone for music that makes me want to run, hmmm...
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k running program and it's great, it works!! C25K in conjunction with MFP I lost about 60 pounds. What motivated me to get up and do my runs?? I had my husband take pictures of my *kitten* each week or 2 in the same undies from the same distance away so I could guage progress and each week when I saw such a difference, it motivated me to get down there and run more. I've worked my way up to running half's and I owe it all to c25k and the progress I saw in my backside :P
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k running program and it's great, it works!! C25K in conjunction with MFP I lost about 60 pounds. What motivated me to get up and do my runs?? I had my husband take pictures of my *kitten* each week or 2 in the same undies from the same distance away so I could guage progress and each week when I saw such a difference, it motivated me to get down there and run more. I've worked my way up to running half's and I owe it all to c25k and the progress I saw in my backside :P

haha!! hmm might have to get my sister to take a couple of photos then! this c25k sounds amazing, i'm officially on week 1 and have never been a runner..untill now! congrats on all your weight loss. thats out of control!!
  • StuAblett
    Options

So does this mean you are kind of "Half-Assed" now :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:

I'd get my wife to take a pic of my *kitten*, but we don't own a wide angle lens :tongue:

I will get there, I'm doing it every single day, even the days that I'm not that happy with stuff, I still watch what I eat and I get my work out in, going to add some free weight dumbbells soon! :bigsmile:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    Half assed, literally!!!

In the beginning, those pictures were what kept me going. There were days when I would've rather died than exercise/run but I just kept telling myself, you've come so far, don't go back now!

:D Just keep runnin'!!!
  • tashtranquillo
    Options
    can't wait to be half assed! ha! i know how you feel, some days I can make up any excuse not to exercise but none of that anymore. kick my lazyness out of bed, or browse my former photos which aren't so glamourous:noway: :laugh: