Old photo's, a good or a bad thing?

Options
I was just going over the old photograph's on my laptop. I have injured my foot so this week the only exercise I can really do is walk :/. I have just found 4 old photos where I am 3 sizes smaller. I am embarrassed that I let bad times get me down and I have piled on the weight and its my fault. It seemed to snowball one minute my life was great the next, my one and only grand parent died, I had university interviews and exams. All my family started arguing then I had to move house. The next thing I know its 3 and a half years later. I have a BA HONS Degree but I am also a size 16. I look a lot healthier in the photos in theory they should give me a boost as I could look like that again but really they have just made me sad.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else.

Replies

• BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Old photos remind me that my weight is only one factor in my overall well being. I look at old photos and, yes, I'm thin, but I'm also miserable. Today, I'm obese but I'm making healthy changes and I'm happy, wise and loving life.

If old photos don't give you a boost, don't dwell on them. Look forward. Look at pictures of healthy, fit people that inspire you. Read all the success stories on MFP. You got this!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    In terms of memories, old photos are great!

Personally, old photos remind me of where I was at that point, especially weight wise, and reminds me that I can do it... of course with modification to match my current lifestyle.

More recent old pictures from before I started my weight loss journey make me cringe. Definitely embarrassing for me, but these are even more of a butt kick to get myself in gear and to live healthier and happier :)
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    my current photo is from before my anorexia, I'm using it as motivation.
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    ts interesting as I study photography but I specialize in fine art. But part of the first term was the physiological effect of self portraits and everyone's views was very mixed.
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    my current photo is from before my anorexia, I'm using it as motivation.

I am sorry to hear this, I hope you get better soon xxx
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    In terms of memories, old photos are great!

Personally, old photos remind me of where I was at that point, especially weight wise, and reminds me that I can do it... of course with modification to match my current lifestyle.

More recent old pictures from before I started my weight loss journey make me cringe. Definitely embarrassing for me, but these are even more of a butt kick to get myself in gear and to live healthier and happier :)

This made me smile :)
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Don't understand your connection between your honors degree and being a size 16. You are not your size or the number on the scale. I was not less smart when I was obese. And you are no less deserving of your degree now that you are a size 16. Your injury kept you sidelined, so now you can get your fitness back. 3.5 years is a blink of the eye. For the first time I weigh less that I did when my daughter was born and she is 30! Look at those pictures and remember your potential is to not only be smart, but also to be fit! Don't be like me and wait 30 years!!!
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    Don't understand your connection between your honors degree and being a size 16. You are not your size or the number on the scale. I was not less smart when I was obese. And you are no less deserving of your degree now that you are a size 16. Your injury kept you sidelined, so now you can get your fitness back. 3.5 years is a blink of the eye. For the first time I weigh less that I did when my daughter was born and she is 30! Look at those pictures and remember your potential is to not only be smart, but also to be fit! Don't be like me and wait 30 years!!!

I just meant in the context of how quick its gone, like you said the blink of an eye. But don't worry I know I deserve my degree my brain is fried from all the work hahahahah
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Yea, when I look @ old pics, I see a very fit girl, but I was wild and partied a lot.
    Ive always been muscular and strong and never really needed to work out.
    Life caught up with me FAST. Too much muscle loss, terrible eating habits.
    So now Im Sober, Im strong and I know how to feed myself, to stay that way.
    I know what workouts make me feel best and I know that its a continuous effort.

I feel much wiser, I have so much more knowledge about health and fitness.
    So those pics are a great reminder of where I was and where I never have to go again.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I'm not sure for the OP, but I literally just completed my BA, and although I've been striving to live healthier for a few months now, it feels like I just realized where I had ended up weight/health wise. It's not a direct connection between intelligence and weight, but more or less how much I let go of taking care of myself while studying/working for my degree.

Now, I'm of course happy to have my degree (thank goodness that's over!), but I also wish that I had balanced and focused some effort on living healthy. I don't think I should have or needed to let go of myself that much just because I was occupied with studies. I definitely think I could have been more successful and happy in the process of getting my BA if I was incorporating a good diet and more activity.

... I hope that made sense! :tongue:
  • jennifermads1
    Options

I'm not sure for the OP, but I literally just completed my BA, and although I've been striving to live healthier for a few months now, it feels like I just realized where I had ended up weight/health wise. It's not a direct connection between intelligence and weight, but more or less how much I let go of taking care of myself while studying/working for my degree.

Now, I'm of course happy to have my degree (thank goodness that's over!), but I also wish that I had balanced and focused some effort on living healthy. I don't think I should have or needed to let go of myself that much just because I was occupied with studies. I definitely think I could have been more successful and happy in the process of getting my BA if I was incorporating a good diet and more activity.

... I hope that made sense! :tongue:

Ding Ding Ding,
    I couldn't agree more I finished uni this month and I was so absorbed in it, I feel now I can concentrate alot more on my health.
    Ps my graduation ceremony is in a month when is yours :)