Eating Italian for dinner ... Help

Options
Today we are celebrating my dads birthday at a fine Italian restaurant and I tried looking up the nutritional content and it wasn't available so I'm basically going in blindfolded. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! I know to stay clear of the breads :-)????????????

Thank you all for your help!! I will eat pasta and take half of it home :-))

Replies

• Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your taste is, but you could probably get grilled fish and veggies, or a salad with chicken. Or, if they have pizza on thin crust, margherita pizza is actually fairly good, as long as you don't eat too much of it. I'd suggest looking up meals on MFP that you think they might have and seeing what the calorie content is, so that you're not completely blind. Hope it goes well!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what is your favorite italian dish?? have that.

have a salad for your appetizer. don't load up on too much bread and butter.

allow it into your daily calories.

now i want italian. this place near my house has the best penne a la vodka, with little pieces of panceta (italian bacon) and i usually ask for grilled chicken with it too.
  • Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    I wouldn't really fret over one meal. If you're really worried though you could always just eat half and save the other portion for later.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There's usually something along the lines of meat + veggies that comes without pasta. At worst order something without a cream sauce that has lots of veggies and eat half :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    One night of going out to eat to Italian won't destroy your efforts for weight loss. I have to agree with Capt_Apollo: Pick your favorite dish or pick a dish that sounds really good and have that!!! Avoid the bread before dinner, and enjoy yourself.

Try to trim the rest of your day to allow for extra room for a big pasta dish.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    im Italian and there's no way to get healthy versions of foods unless your making it at home! i suggest u eat and enjoy and tomorrows another day! dont deprive yourself just dont exagerate make it your cheat meal!! thats what will keep you going on this journey!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If your favorite dish is fettuccini alfredo, fa-get-about-it! If you're getting pasta, the correct portion is about 1 cup. Beware salad dressing and cheese on a starter salad; maybe better to go with a broth based soup like minestrone. Eat a few bites of pasta, a serving of protein, and save some room for cake! Oh yeah, and give you dad lots of hugs and kisses.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    As the poster above said, you should be able to get grilled chicken or fish and a vegetable side or salad. A lot of Italian restaurants serve their salad plain with vinegar and oil separately, so you can control how much oil you use.

I like red meat, so my go to Italian meal is Tagliata de Manza. That's rare steak sliced thinly and served on a bed of rocket salad with some parmesan shavings. If you are avoiding carbs and going protein heavy, Osso Bucco is a decent choice. That's a braised veal shank. Have it with some vegetable sides or a plain green salad.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just order your favorite dish, eat half and of it and take the rest home.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As the poster above said, you should be able to get grilled chicken or fish and a vegetable side or salad. A lot of Italian restaurants serve their salad plain with vinegar and oil separately, so you can control how much oil you use.

I like red meat, so my go to Italian meal is Tagliata de Manza. That's rare steak sliced thinly and served on a bed of rocket salad with some parmesan shavings. If you are avoiding carbs and going protein heavy, Osso Bucco is a decent choice. That's a braised veal shank. Have it with some vegetable sides or a plain green salad.

Tagliata de Manza, where have you been all my life? Damn, I think I'll have Italian tonight!
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Once you lose the weight and are maintaining, will you NEVER eat something you really like at an Italian restaurant? IMHO, it's good to learn how to eat for the long run when dieting, so ordering something you like and eating half would be a great decision. Maybe eat lighter during the day before you go out to eat. Track it as best you can, and then move on to the next day. I'm not saying have a couple glasses of wine, a huge Italian meal, and dessert---eat a moderate amount, but eat something you enjoy, and enjoy the time with family. In some cases, I have found that I can eat something I like a lot and still stay within at least maintenance calories for the day (or even a small deficit), if I plan ahead and eat lighter earlier in the day. As said earlier, in a case like this, just estmate. I will sometimes even enter the indivdual components of the meal (don;t forget things like the oil used in preparation) to figure out the nutritional information. If you take half home, you would even be able to weigh/measure how much pasta you ate, instead of relying on eyeballing it.

My only caveat to this advice is if you are someone who is easily derailed and have to be absolutely on plan every moment or you lose your resolve and go completely off our eating plan.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Calamari...eat it.
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever you want to eat. Don't forget a nice chocolate dessert too. One day isn't going to kill you. But personally, I would go for a run first and just eat oatmeal for breakfast and lunch (200 calories). Lots of metamucil too. Your net calories for dinner will be around 1600 calories, more than enough for your favourite main and dessert on the menu.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Just order your favorite dish, eat half and of it and take the rest home.

Works for me.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    It's your dad's birthday..hell with it, eat what you'd normally eat, indulge and enjoy the occasion..it's not as if you eat like that every day :-)
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't eat any of the bread at the table and don't order anything that comes with pasta.

You'll be fine.
  • cchardy82
    cchardy82 Posts: 26
    Options
    I would only eat half if you get pasta-but don't take the other half home. If you do, you are eating that same meal twice. That is two days of high calorie food. I would give the extra to a family member or just toss it.

I would order a salad with a low fat dressing and a minestrone soup. Enjoy those before your meal to curb your appetite. Then, I would order a meat with a pasta side or ask to substitute the pasta for another option. If you really want your favorite pasta dish, only eat until you are no longer hungry. I doubt you will have to eat half to get full. After the salad and soup you will feel satisfied faster. Enjoy the small portion of your favorite meal and then ask the waiter to take it away so you are not tempted by the rest.
  • suziramsdell
    Options
    Avoid the bread, pasta, and creamy sauces. Go very light with any cheese.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Pretty much enjoy your dinner without worrying about it too much. Red sauce probably a better choice than white, just go a little easy on the pasta. They might have a broiled chicken dish, or maybe fish, but if they don't, just do the best you can. What you can try is to get a to go container right at the beginning of the meal and split your dinner in half before you even get started...remove the temptation.