Really REALLY sore from Insanity..

Options
Hello, I just started Insanity.. I have never been this sore in my life. My question is should I keep pushing through the 60 day program while I am sore or take a break. I was always taught not to work out until the soreness is gone but I can't find any information about that with insanity. I started a workout today but just found myself so sore that I didn't want to push myself for fear of making everything worse?

Replies

• mollykay09
    Options
    hey! I work out with a personal trainer 3 days a week and she always tells me to work through the soreness. Once your muscles build up some resistance you wont be as sore. Lactic acid is what makes your muscles sore, so when you work out while being sore it breaks down the lactic acid so you will feel better. I know exactly how you feel, and it seems so much harder working out when you're sore, but it will be totally worth it in the end! Good luck ((:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    yes keep going through the program while you are sore. You are supposed to be sore your body is adjusting. Your muscles will loosen up after the warm up so they won't hurt as bad.
    Most people stop working out when they get sore and don't get the results. your sore because your using muscles that you haven't used in a while it will ease up in the next week or 2 the first week is always the hardest.

Make sure you stretch after the workout don't skip it if you do your just hurting yourself. a good stretch in the morning is good too. Keep at it Insanity is a kick *kitten* routine and you will get serious improvement and endurance.
  • ambercole
    Options
    The first time i did p90x yoga I was sore for 2 weeks! The first couple of days i couldn't even get out of bed. You should start with a lighter program if it hurts that bad. That's what i did and then once I graduated from that program ( 30 day shred) they I moved up to P90x and it was alot easier. Alot of people quit working out because they try programs that are too hard for them, or that they are not ready for. Try something easier first and see if that helps.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I say work through it. I started Chalean Extreme again last week. The first 3 workouts I thought I was going to die. I worked through it and by day 4 and 5 it was nothing.
  • lilmom1
    Options
    Try it but go at your own pace at first...if they do 20 squats do 5 then the next day do 6...before you know it you will have it down, and you wont be down for the count!! Best of luck!!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If I am really sore after a work out I always feel better after working out the next day as opposed to doing nothing..just getting those muscles moving & warmed up seems to help!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I think if it's muscle soreness, you can work through it, but if it's joint soreness, you might want to take it easier.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am on day six of insanity workouts and I TOTALLY get the soreness ...even in my butt !! This is INSANE I came here to read halls advice because I was wondering the same thing I could Barelt make it through yesterday's workouts then to just walk was painful lol...I am determined to do this challenge , surprisingly I don't feel the pain during the workout but I do have muscle fatigue making it hard for me to hold some of the poses ....glad to see this is common and I'm not just in too deep with INSANITY !!
  • giggalon
    giggalon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Some mornings I get out of bed and can barely walk til my calves have stretched out a bit.
    Try to work through it, it gets easier. have a post workout recovery shake and make sure you stretch in the mornings!
  • natamu
    natamu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting month 2 of Insanity on Monday,

I was sore as hell when I started month 1. Just push through it.
    It usually goes away after the first week, so just keep up the good work!

Good Luck :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on HOW sore....when I first started working out again, the first time I did a workout with weights, I could barely move the next day. Getting down or up from a sitting position was torture. Going up or down a single step took major effort. I told my husband that if the house caught fire while I was sitting on the sofa, he'd have to haul me out because I'd never be able to move fast enough on my own. :tongue:

I took three days off, and then got back to the workouts. After that, I still got sore, but it was "basic" soreness, I could still stretch it out, loosen up and move without groaning, even though I was sore.

If you're so sore that you wouldn't be able to perform the exercises correctly, then I'd take at least a day off and let those muscles rest.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've been told to push through that the day you are the most sore is the worse of it and the following day you'll not be as sore. That was the case with the 30 day shred, I'm starting Insanity either today or Monday, today only depends on my family leaving the house or not.

I tried Insanity almost a year ago and had to quit because I nearly couldn't walk, but I'm in better shape right now then I was then.
  • mobosco
    mobosco Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing up week 2 of Insanity and yes the first couple of days I was really sore but I just worked through it and found that as I kept exercising I got less sore. Make sure you do all of the warm up and stretching too and it will get better!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Separate soreness from pain! Almost everybody doing insanity is sore including very fit people. I walked like a duck for five days than I become stronger. But if you feel pain, stop immediately and take time to heal. You can hurt yourself really bad.

P.S. Try protein shake or at leas food rich on proteins 30 minutes after your workout - soya milk, tofu, beans, eggs, fish, cooked beef, chicken, lamb, nonfat cheese, yogurt...
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of Insanity and I was really sore at first but keep working through it! It's normal to feel sore, insanity is an intense program and your muscles are in shock. I find it helps the soreness by working out! Don't give up!!