Leg cramps in the middle of the night

Options
I think this is related to potassium levels (from what i remember when this happened to me in the past). In the past month i've changed my diet for the better (Mostly eating the same foods, just much less), and upped my levels of exercise (more/more intense cardio and weights).

Any ideas what is causing this and what can i do to fix it? It started about a week or so ago, not every night, but it happened a few times already. I eat one banana a day (most days) and a cup of tomato juice (most days)

Replies

• violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after every single workout? And by stretching I mean at least five full minutes, and every muscle group. The older you get, them more important it becomes. Of course, it could be related to over-training, but I don't don't your exercise routine so I can't comment on that.
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd say make sure to get lots of water and always make that your last drink before bed. Also watch the sodium in the tomato juice because the tastier are usually the saltier. I used to drink a lot of it and got lots of leg cramps so I concluded it was so salty it must be robbing my water consumption. I tried to switch to a low salt tomato juice but ended up not drinking it anymore because the low salt is so disappointing.
  • rachiepoo91
    rachiepoo91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy and have this problem occasionally too. Unfortunately, one banana doesn't contribute nearly enough potassium towards your RDA. Do an internet search of potassium rich foods for more ideas. Coconut water is a really good source but is a bit too sweet for me. You might want to try it though.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue in the past. Sodium tends to undo potassium so dropping sodium is also a big part of this. Low sodium V8 is good for that, same with potatoes with salt substitute (which is potassium salt so double points there). Calorie for calorie, cucumbers and many other vegetables are better bets.
  • Badarolyn
    Badarolyn Posts: 5
    Options
    Had the same problem. You could be low in potassium again or not drinking enough water. There are lots of foods high in potassium and low in calories you can google. Is this something your Dr. is tracking with you? I'm on a diuretic for high blood pressure and had a real problem keeping up the blood potassium levels for awhile. The leg cramps were terrible, but would relax once I drank a glass of water. Calcium supplements help as well. I'd check with your Dr.
  • KristenM1986
    Options
    Whenever that would happen to me it was because I was not getting enough calcium. If your current diet is low in it I would suggest making sure you are getting enough. You could also look into supplements.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. I am on BP pills (one is a diuretic) but I haven't had this problem in years, that's why i was wondering if it is something related to whatever i've been doing in the past few weeks. I didn't realize the sodium issue = i will make sure to keep that in check. and I do drink a LOT of water, but it's possible that I need to up that.

thanks again guys
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have horrible leg spasms at night. I found drinking lots of water and taking both potassium and magnesium has virtually stopped my leg cramps. Best of luck I know how painful this can be, let alone having such sore muscles in the morning!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Muscle contraction is controlled by Magnesium and Calcium.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem and find that taking magnesium in the evening really helps.