Healthy Weight/BF% No Period? (ED)

Options
I've had disordered eating for about 2 years. Within the first year, it was on and off. I went from 125 to 111. Then I gained back up to 129 last summer. In September it went completely downhill. I was purging, restricting, starving... September was the last time I got my period. I got to 109 at January 1st. That was when I decided to recover. I started eating less and bingeing less so I got 106. Then I realized I really wasn't eating enough (about 1000 calories/day). So i bumped it up & started exercising at the gym. i am currently 110-111 (5'3) & I eat about 1300 calories. I have slipped up a bit (purge, binge, restrict) but generally I am eating great. I am a very healthy eater and I get the right amount of macros & vitamins. My question is, why haven't I gotten my period & is infertility a possibility? My body fat is 24.4%, my BMI is something like 19.9. Also, when I did get it it was VERY light & i did miss a month once or twice.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have no idea medically what's wrong. But I sincerely hope that you overcome this disorder and get your health back. Just remember to seek help if you need it. I'll be pulling for you!!!!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Your lack of period is probably related to your ED. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to see your gyno and get it checked out.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you eating? We can help more if you open your diary.
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    happened to me before...
    i lost weight drastically, a lot of it, and i was eating way too little.
    didn't have my period for almost a year after making those drastic changes.

i thought i was being healthy, eating the right foods, restricting carbs and working out excessively..but when i look back today, im honestly just glad i survived.
    however, it took me months of eating normal and gaining a lot of weight until it came back.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    24% bf is healthy. So no period probably has nothing to do with bf%.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    what does your doctor say? I have a feeling it's related to your ED, and hopefully, now that you are on a healthy journey, things will change for the better.

Good for you for making these changes!
  • gettingmy_lifeback
    gettingmy_lifeback Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i know a lot about what I should eat & i am consuming lots of healthy fats!
  • gettingmy_lifeback
    gettingmy_lifeback Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    Have you gotten blood work done? It could be a hormonal imbalance or something to that effect. 1300 isn't a lot (I know it's progress, for you, though!) so your body may need more.

I have a similar issue with disordered past habits. I had blood work done 3 years ago and it said I was post menopausal (I'm 21, so no haha) and I recently had blood work done within the past 2 months and I am on the lower end of normal. I haven't had a period in 3 years, but it seems like finally, my body is reregulating itself. I definitely recommend seeing a doctor or a gyno and see what they have to say. In my case, I still have no idea haha but I'm hopeful.

I know this isn't super helpful, but know you're not alone and there are other people (like me) with the same type of problem :/
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    After a couple of years of dieting and increasing exercise, I also lost my period. I was 112lbs, 5'5", approx. 15% body fat. I have now gotten my period back this year (after 20 months without it) after increasing cals from 1400-1500 to 1700-1800 per day. I have also changed my workouts from purely cardio to a mix of cardio and lifting. I am almost back to 28 day cycles.

I'd suggest eating more. It might help the day to day disordered eating also.