What can I eat? HELP - Reaching out to the community

Options
I am allowed 1200 calories a day without exercising. However, when I look at the settings of Sodium, Protein, Fat etc. It says I am only allowed 45 grams of protein a day. If I only eat vegetables and lean meats with natural carbs (potatoes) what can I eat?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not that you are only allowed to eat 45 g of protein. It's that you should eat at least 45 g of protein per day. If you have not medical condition that requires you to limit protein, then eat more if you'd like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You can change you macros (carbs/protein/fat) ratios however you want them. MFP's default ratios are pretty low in the protein department and a little high for my tastes in the carb department. 45g of protein is pretty low. Eat at least that...ideally though about 0.9 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM, especially while you're eating at a deficit. This will help you preserve lean body mass (i.e. muscle)..in the absence of protein and resistance work, you lose a lot of muscle along with the fat when you diet.
  • mojo501976
    mojo501976 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I could not find how to change my ratios. could you direct me?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I could not find how to change my ratios. could you direct me?

Click the "My Home" tab and then on the bar below that, you'll see goals. You can customize everything from there.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm what you'd call an Atkins/Paleo/Low Carb guy so -

I don't know where the 1200 came from but here are the decision rules
    roughly 10 calories per pound of target weight. presumably you're trying to get to 120 pounds is that about right?
    1 gram of protein per pound of target body weight, so you can easily increase your grams of protein.
    your diet should be predominatly proteins and fats with as few carbs as you can manage maybe 15% of your caloric intake is carbs.

you don't eat grains (whole or otherwise), potatoes, rice, flour, sugar,honey, corn syrup, milk and fruit juices.
    you're carbohydrates come from vegetables. you can eat eggs and cheeses.
    You'll start to rely on Almond Milk if you're a milk drinker and truvia if you like sugars in your beverages.
    That's it.