Can someone tell me if i'm eating right?

Options

Replies

• sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, quantity and quality are of great importance.
    I started at 150lbs and am now down to 135lbs. I eat around 1800, give or take, each day. Food is fuel.
    Also, the quality of the nutrients you are getting is severely lacking.
    Add some fruits and vegetables in there and try to get away from the processed foods. You'll be surprised how much better you feel and the greater amount of energy you get.

(I'll admit, I have my occasional energy drink mostly because I enjoy them.)
    Feel free to take a look at my diary.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Should be eating at least 123g protein a day, and at least 60g fat a day. Hit your minimums
  • mordacious
    mordacious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone else said. Not enough calories, protein or good fats and way too processed.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    This looks like an unsustainable diet - how long do you think you can just eat lean cuisine entrees, fat free crisps, half cans of soup and plain turkey sandwiches before you break down and hoover up a plate of nachos? In addition to eating too little, you need to mix it up with some real food, maybe some fresh fruit and veggies.
  • Karlynn1993
    Karlynn1993 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    GET RID OF THE ENERGY DRINKS AND POP! it's sugar you don't need and the diet stuff over time will make it act like actual sugar..
    Water is the way to go, maybe a pop here and there once a week or every other week, but not one every day...

Eat more fruit and veggies!

You are under-eating!! You should be eating at least 1200 since you are not exercising. It will help you loose weight!
  • janetdungan
    janetdungan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    wow literally every item in your diary i would not eat. i'm a clean eater and all of these things are not clean, aka healthy or clean aka unprocessed. quite disappointed that 100% wasnt acceptable

dont drink anything monster or energy. dont read the zero calorie or zero sugar bull**** on labels. you want to avoid as much items that have labels to begin with. make time to eat fresh foods and prepare your meals and count the macros first before you count calories. pay attention to what is going in your body, not just a number. aka calories.

yes your calorie count is low but so is your protein macro. it should be at least 1 gram per pound of body weight.

stay away from any tv microwave dinner, i dont care if it says Lean anything. stay away.

special K is okay once in a while but you should really be eating oats and i dont mean the kind that comes in a little baggie and is flavored. i mean quaker oats, plain plain plain, add a banana or strawberries and make with water or almond milk.

avoid fruit yogurts but also take a look at the sugar in them, then you'll think twice about it. eat greek plain once in a while and add fruit but try to avoid alot of fruit if you are trying to slim and tone. focus on lean meats and veggies and healthy carbs like sweet potato, brown rice, oats in stead.

avoid all alcohols also, sorry.

this low sodium turkey might be okay but prepare real turkey and not processed kind like deli meats which make you question what unknown things theyve added.

crackers or chips? bad bad bad, dont read healthy low cal low sodium its processed.

ice cream sandwich? no dessert, no ice cream, processed, has added flavors, chemicals, additives. if labels read things that have long weird names you see in chemistry class, avoid them. and if it has sweetener like aspartame, google the word and read about what it does to you and you'll think twice about it
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    wow literally every item in your diary i would not eat. i'm a clean eater and all of these things are not clean, aka healthy or clean aka unprocessed. quite disappointed that 100% wasnt acceptable

dont drink anything monster or energy. dont read the zero calorie or zero sugar bull**** on labels. you want to avoid as much items that have labels to begin with. make time to eat fresh foods and prepare your meals and count the macros first before you count calories. pay attention to what is going in your body, not just a number. aka calories.

yes your calorie count is low but so is your protein macro. it should be at least 1 gram per pound of body weight.

stay away from any tv microwave dinner, i dont care if it says Lean anything. stay away.

special K is okay once in a while but you should really be eating oats and i dont mean the kind that comes in a little baggie and is flavored. i mean quaker oats, plain plain plain, add a banana or strawberries and make with water or almond milk.

avoid fruit yogurts but also take a look at the sugar in them, then you'll think twice about it. eat greek plain once in a while and add fruit but try to avoid alot of fruit if you are trying to slim and tone. focus on lean meats and veggies and healthy carbs like sweet potato, brown rice, oats in stead.

this low sodium turkey might be okay but prepare real turkey and not processed kind like deli meats which make you question what unknown things theyve added.

crackers or chips? bad bad bad, dont read healthy low cal low sodium its processed.

ice cream sandwich? no dessert, no ice cream, processed, has added flavors, chemicals, additives. if labels read things that have long weird names you see in chemistry class, avoid them. and if it has sweetener like aspartame, google the word and read about what it does to you and you'll think twice about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

you don't have to live in fear of food.
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're smart to ask this question now, as a young adult

Everyone here has focused on how many calories you eat, but I'd like to address something else--the quality of those calories. You are eating almost entirely heavily processed foods. Not only are these laden with troublesome artificial ingredients and high salt, but when they are in the carbs family, they spike and drop your blood sugar levels, making it harder for your body to lose weight and making you hungrier.

You need more real food--whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, real meal. Deli meat is awful stuff. It's pretty easy to buy yourself a turkey breast and poach it so that what you have is real, unadulterated turkey. Lean Cuisine and other frozen meals are fine for the occasional emergency, but should not be an even remotely regular part of your diet. Fiber from apples and vegetables will fill you up and keep everything working better as well as given you vital micronutrients. Trying buying some Greek yogurt (more creamy and less sour than regular) plain. Add your favorite fruit and if you like a little stevia or truvia or even in a bit of honey. You can feel while eating it how much better it is for you...and it sure tastes better.

^^ this.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Eat more - For example, I am 5'5, 127, and eat 1450 a day, but am losing SLOWLY, which is how it should be (I'm set up for TDEE -20%).

Whether or not you eat clean in another question, as some people view "clean" as all different. I do eat some processed foods, but I also eat fruit and veggies and more whole grains than I used to, so I am making better choices.

If you "need" soda, I suggest seltzer with a spritz of lime or lemon or orange. Drop the energy drinks immediately. My last one landed me in urgent care.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, undereating will not help you lose weight. Also I'm just warning you that someone might come on here and try to convince you that all the OMGbadprocessedfoods are bad for you. But if you're fine with it, thats fine. I eat a lot of processed foods and am still losing weight.

Two things- you are definitely undereating, this stalls your progress because your body goes into starvation mode- I was very much an under eater several years ago while trying to lose weight, and it did not do me any favors!

As far as the person I quoted, I am definitely not going to tell you OMG don't eat those processed foods at all!!! It is completely possible to lose weight eating processed foods, and I still love a Lean Cuisine once in a while. I WILL tell you, just from my experience, that it seems that almost all of your calories come from processed foods, and when I was eating similar things, I was much more bloated, and had a tougher time losing fat. Rather than suggesting you cut out all processed foods, you could make an effort to make sure you eat one less processed meal a day- rather than a lean cuisine, maybe a salad with some lean protein, or some scrambled eggs with veggies for breakfast and see how you feel, and if it makes a difference in how you feel and how your body responds.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

you don't have to live in fear of food.

^This. I understand that all of these foods have negatives, but don't you think that it is a little daunting to tell someone that NOTHING they eat is acceptable? I try to eat clean as much as possible, but completely depriving myself is something I will never do again- it led to obsessive diet behavior and depression for me, and I was eating nowhere near as many processed foods as the OP! You know, I'd rather be just 5% less healthy, but 100% more happy and emotionally healthy. I know that you most likely meant well, but suggesting this young lady completely change everything she eats immediately because it is all BAD BAD BAD is not likely to encourage her to keep making positive changes to her lifestyle. In my post, I suggested changing one meal a day from the processed things she is eating, because I am fairly positive that one change will allow her to see that she feels a great difference from making manageable, small steps- it might show her through results that whole foods truly do fuel her better.

Please be mindful when giving advice- when someone is starting on their journey, and genuinely trying, it can be very discouraging to be told that EVERYTHING you are doing is wrong in such an extreme manner.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, undereating will not help you lose weight. Also I'm just warning you that someone might come on here and try to convince you that all the OMGbadprocessedfoods are bad for you. But if you're fine with it, thats fine. I eat a lot of processed foods and am still losing weight.

Two things- you are definitely undereating, this stalls your progress because your body goes into starvation mode- I was very much an under eater several years ago while trying to lose weight, and it did not do me any favors!

As far as the person I quoted, I am definitely not going to tell you OMG don't eat those processed foods at all!!! It is completely possible to lose weight eating processed foods, and I still love a Lean Cuisine once in a while. I WILL tell you, just from my experience, that it seems that almost all of your calories come from processed foods, and when I was eating similar things, I was much more bloated, and had a tougher time losing fat. Rather than suggesting you cut out all processed foods, you could make an effort to make sure you eat one less processed meal a day- rather than a lean cuisine, maybe a salad with some lean protein, or some scrambled eggs with veggies for breakfast and see how you feel, and if it makes a difference in how you feel and how your body responds.

just as an FYI...

starvation mode is a very specific response to long term low calorie intake WHEN YOUR BODY FAT % IS LOW. it is not something that would affect the vast majority of people on this site. perhaps elite bodybuilders in a final cut to very low BF% could run into this situation, but 95+% of the people on here will never have to worry about starvation mode, ever.

what happens when you eat well under a level that your body prefers for safe weight loss is that your body responds with hormonal changes as it sees the situation as "stress". this will affect your appetite and your overall metabolism will start slowing down. there is debate as to how much, but it will slow down. the term for this is adaptive thermogenesis. THIS is the condition that causes chronic undereaters to see their weight loss slow to a crawl. this is also how yo-yo dieters get stuck on that yo-yo treadmill. when they start eating regularly again, they regain the weight they lost more quickly than they lost it. so they repeat the cycle. some people do this for years. you can get your metabolism back to normal, and that's the basic premise of the Eat More To Lose More group on this site. anyone in that situation should go to that group and read all of their information.

regarding muscle being lost... a different process is responsible for that. your body will burn fat if you are eating at a modest calorie deficit. however, if you are eating at a large deficit, your body will not only metabolized stored fat, but will begin to catabolize some amount of existing muscle. this is because muscle can be more readily turned into fuel than fat. your body will do both. in fact, whenever you lose weight, you have to assume that you're losing a mix of muscle and fat. your goal should be to minimize the amount of muscle that is lost. if you don't, you can easily end up as what is called "skinny fat". it's a dumb term, but it describes a real situation that a lot of crash dieters who lose a lot of weight quickly find themselves in.

the consensus for trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible is to lose your weight more slowly. this means trying to lose on a 500 or 750 calorie deficit (or something in that ball park). making sure to meet/exceed your protein goal and doing regular strength training will help. if you lose weight more quickly than that, meeting your protein macro and doing regular progressive strength training is even more important. you'll still lose some muscle along with the fat, but you won't lose as much as if you completely ignored the strength training. putting muscle back on that was lost is hard work, so you don't want to be faced with 6-12 months (or more!) of that at the end of your weight loss process just to like how you look in the mirror.

executive summary:

1) starvation mode is incorrectly used here. very few MFP'ers have to worry about this.
    2) adaptive thermogenesis is what people DO have to worry about. that's what occurs when eating at or below your BMR and at a non-trivial calorie deficit from your TDEE for a lengthy period of time. this leads to yo-yo dieting.
    3) to preserve as much muscle as possible, try to lose at a slower rate, make sure to meet your daily protein macro, and lift weights.

i think that covers it, but if i missed anything, let me know...
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't need to add anything you have been blasted hard enough. But you need to change it.
  • robinjjordan
    Options
    woahhh alrite, i wasnt planning to eat this way forever! when i'm the weight i want obviously im gonna up the calories so i dont lose more and just maintain if people respond like this your gonna make newcomers afraid of ever asking a question be nicer
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is trying to be mean they are just trying to give you constructive criticism. I know its hard when you think your doing the right thing. If your not ready to go healthy at least a some calories. Good luck!
  • robinjjordan
    Options
    i lost 5 lbs in 9 days next weigh in is tuesday so im happy with this
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat more, as in at least 1200 calories a day. And try eating some more whole foods, like fruits and veggies. And try adding some lean meats.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    woahhh alrite, i wasnt planning to eat this way forever! when i'm the weight i want obviously im gonna up the calories so i dont lose more and just maintain if people respond like this your gonna make newcomers afraid of ever asking a question be nicer

Don't take it as harsh. Take it as honest information from people who want you to succeed and be able to maintain a weight loss.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would recommend more veggies and a few servings of fruit. Also some good protein like chicken breast or salmon. This will up your calories in a good way, make you feel full and give you energy for exercising.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    your eating is fine just loose the energy drinks. i eat lots of veg and fruit. good luck.