Two Small Problems with Protein Shakes

Options
Okay, I know I need to up my protein by a lot and these are going to help-they already have! But frothing up stuff cause some um, extra air and I feel like I am sloshing when I walk for awhile! LOL

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know I need to up my protein by a lot and these are going to help-they already have! But frothing up stuff cause some um, extra air and I feel like I am sloshing when I walk for awhile! LOL

how much protein are you trying to consume? are you sure you need it? and what goes into a typical shake?
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I average about 50 grams of protein a day, so yeah, I need it. I am only using one shake a day to supplement and trying to do better about getting it the natural way. This is only my second day trying this. I am using Muscle Milk because that's what I was recommended and will look for something that's just protein when its gone. I can't afford to just toss this! It has 16 grams in one scoop and that's all I use. I use one cup of 2% milk, one mix in (today it was my coffee) and a couple of ice cubes. I am supposed to have about 100 or so grams of protein a day.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I average about 50 grams of protein a day, so yeah, I need it. I am only using one shake a day to supplement and trying to do better about getting it the natural way. This is only my second day trying this. I am using Muscle Milk because that's what I was recommended and will look for something that's just protein when its gone. I can't afford to just toss this! It has 16 grams in one scoop and that's all I use. I use one cup of 2% milk, one mix in (today it was my coffee) and a couple of ice cubes. I am supposed to have about 100 or so grams of protein a day.

you dont need to kill yourself to get to 100, but yes, more than 50 would be good. 70-100 and you'll be fine.

not a huge muscle milk fan (sketchy ingredients) but dont toss it. finish it up and then grab a protein powder like the kind Optimum Nutrition or Now Foods make and do it in a blender at home. good luck! :)
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    My protein says like 143 but someone on here told me that was way too high and just work on getting it to 100.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Look for Premier Protein. It has a good amount of protein, low carbs, lower calories and very low sugar! When I make mine I use a scoop of chocolate protein powder almond milk, a banana and a little peanut butter and throw it all in the blender. I usually freeze my bananas so that its more like a milk shake consistency.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    As long as it doesn't have artificial sugar I will try anything. I can't stand that stuff! For that matter, I can't stand Truvia and Splenda might be made with sugar but it doesn't TASTE like sugar!
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just realized that premier doesnt come in a powder, only shake or bar form. I buy the snack size shakes and usually do those after the gym, as far as protein powder I was using body fortress but my trainer told me to stay away from that because of the Glutamine. He told me to look for something that has less than 4g of carbs, low sugar, about 150-160 calories per scoop (most of them will say that 2 scoops are a serving but that gives you a ton of protein for one serving and one scoop is enough).
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't have artificial sugar I will try anything. I can't stand that stuff! For that matter, I can't stand Truvia and Splenda might be made with sugar but it doesn't TASTE like sugar!

Truvia/Stevia aren't sugar, but are 100% natural sweeteners. Truvia has less of a bitter aftertaste than Stevia even though they are from the same plant.

Splenda (Sucrolose) is chemically altered sugar.

Stick with agave nectar, honey or Truvia/Stevia.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I know Truvia isn't artificial, I was just lumping it with tastes I can't stand. LOL
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Frothing up stuff causes air? Interesting! As far as the sloshing goes, drink it earlier, way before your walk.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I know, the adding bubbles to something by whipping it up SHOULD have been common sense. LOL
  • enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options
    You might consider using a blender to make the shake the night before. As it sits overnight, the excess air and frothiness will escape, but it will still be mostly blended (it will settle some). Then in the morning, put it into a blender cup and just mix it gently so that you don't reintroduce too much air. Hopefully that will help.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    That's a great idea! Make it before I need it and let it settle.