Peanut Butter

Options
Is it ok to have peanut butter for lunch on rice cakes every day as long as its in my calorie quota? Obviously the rest of my day has fruit, veg, meat, all the other stuff that I need?

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear what other people say because I've been eating that on most days :laugh:
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    By the way, I will be having 5 x :huh:
  • Treacle25
    Options
    My trainer says PB is fine as a snack as long as its a healthy brand and in moderation. However I get bored of rice cakes (as try not to eat bread very often) so these are other ideas she gave me:

# Dip apple slices in peanut butter
    # Spread peanut butter onto a banana cut in half lengthwise
    # Have a serving of dry roasted, reduced-salt nuts as a snack
    # Spread peanut butter onto celery stalks
    # Make your own trail mix with dried fruit and roasted nuts
    # Have a peanut butter on whole grain bread for lunch
    # Try peanut butter on toast or an English muffin at breakfast
    # Spread peanut butter onto reduced-salt saltine crackers or whole wheat crackers
    # Try peanut butter spread on tortilla or tortilla chips
    # Spread peanut butter onto rice- or popcorn-cakes
    # Mix nuts in with air popped or low-fat microwave

I have also been told that this is a good snack to have as lots of protein and fills you up, stopping you from reaching for another snack!

Hope this helps :smile:
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's great.... rice cakes are light with few calories.... and the peanutbutter... with the protein will keep you satisfied....longer... so great snack and as long as you stay with your calories... no problem.... I use it couple times a day myself.... something else i found that is good is. yoplait hazelnut yogurt with a rice cake broken into it... very good.
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You may also want to try Maranatha Dark Chocolate Almond Butter, I like it better than peanut butter and the almond fat is supposed to be better than the peanut fat from what I hear.
  • estelle74uk
    Options
    You may also want to try Maranatha Dark Chocolate Almond Butter, I like it better than peanut butter and the almond fat is supposed to be better than the peanut fat from what I hear.

I would love to but live in UK so not sure whether you can get that here.
  • johnphays
    Options
    Nut butters are a great source of protein. Peanut butter is the least desirable, but still not bad, as long as you're careful to get the natural, unsweetened kind, not the Jiff, Skippy, etc....

If you're REALLY studious about your intake, Google PB2, it's powdered peanut butter, and is simply peanut butter minus all the oil, so instead of 16g of fat, it's only 1.5g!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter every day, LOVE it! But I make my own, it requires a bag of peanuts and a food processor, that's it....and it's soooo yummy. I've also experimented, with almonds, although I don't much care for them, if I mix them half and half with the peanuts it's pretty darn tasty, i've added flax seed, extra boost of protein there. cashews....you name it, it requires no additional oil, very simple and very inexpensive.
  • holly2424
    Options
    I eat it every day for breakfast on 1/2 of a Thomas' whole wheat bagel thin.
  • holly2424
    Options
    I eat peanut butter every day, LOVE it! But I make my own, it requires a bag of peanuts and a food processor, that's it....and it's soooo yummy. I've also experimented, with almonds, although I don't much care for them, if I mix them half and half with the peanuts it's pretty darn tasty, i've added flax seed, extra boost of protein there. cashews....you name it, it requires no additional oil, very simple and very inexpensive.

How intriguing....do you just grind it until it forms a paste? Needs no oil or anything "wet"?
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options

How intriguing....do you just grind it until it forms a paste? Needs no oil or anything "wet"?

The peanuts produce the oil themselves. Once they've been through the food processor you'll see the oil buildup that will skim to the top, put it into a jar and just stir it up before you use it, The first time I had it, in all honesty I wasn't so sure I liked it, but I think that was because I was used to Kraft, and they load it full of sugar, now I can't imagine ever buying another jar of commercial PB
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If you're REALLY studious about your intake, Google PB2, it's powdered peanut butter, and is simply peanut butter minus all the oil, so instead of 16g of fat, it's only 1.5g!

I second this! I love the stuff! Lot less carbs too (5g per serving instead of the usual 15+) so it helps if you're trying to stay within certain carb limits.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter every day!!! I love Kroger brand Natural Crunchy peanut butter or Naturally More PB made w/ flaxseed oil (http://www.naturallymore.com)

It's an excellent source of good fat. Also try almond butter or just plain almonds, walnuts, or other nuts. Your body needs good fats!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I also eat peanut butter every day, but no more than 2 tablespoons...it can be addicting! I like to mix it in oats or top kamut cakes with it.

I love love love grinding my own from Whole Foods, they have the honey roasted peanuts and it is TO DIE FOR.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    LOVE PB - its a great filler for me. When I'm hungry in the afternoon and nothing sounds good I can usually satisfy myself with just a spoonful of the stuff. But everyday? Variety is the spice of life - may wish to mix it up a bit but I dont think it is "bad" as long as you say its falls within your dietary guidelines.
  • estelle74uk
    Options
    LOVE PB - its a great filler for me. When I'm hungry in the afternoon and nothing sounds good I can usually satisfy myself with just a spoonful of the stuff. But everyday? Variety is the spice of life - may wish to mix it up a bit but I dont think it is "bad" as long as you say its falls within your dietary guidelines.

I am only doing it for this week, then I will change it up next week.
  • estelle74uk
    Options

That sounds good, I havent got a food processor though only blender, haha dont suppose that will work?!
  • estelle74uk
    Options
    I also eat peanut butter every day, but no more than 2 tablespoons...it can be addicting! I like to mix it in oats or top kamut cakes with it.

I love love love grinding my own from Whole Foods, they have the honey roasted peanuts and it is TO DIE FOR.

I love honey roasted cashews, I can eat a whole bag and they are about 1000 cals!! only takes me 10 mins. Terrible binge! but sooo tasty
  • brettatk
    brettatk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on MFP talk about Krema peanut butter. It's only ingredient is Peanuts. I was in Kroger yesterday and saw it in the regular peanut butter isle. It's not bad. I had some this morning on a slice of toasted Ezekiel 4:19 bread.
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was looking for another high protein snack, so far I have included eggs, nuts, prawns, tuna, now I have PEANUT BUTTER hooray. x:flowerforyou: