Calorie Intake & Insanity

Options
I was looking for some input from those who are doing/have done the Insanity program. I just finished my first week. I decided that I would follow the Elite Nutrition eating program. For the most part, I am following it exactly although I have made a few minor additions/alterations to meet my personal tastes. I am following the 40/40/20 (protein/carb/fat) and am doing well with that ratio under this eating plan.

I am a 27 year old female, 5'4", 150lbs. So far, I have burned between 200-430 calories per Insanity workout. I am not doing any other exercise, although I still consider the rest of my life to be at least lightly active, possibly moderately active. My activity level at work varies day to day, but I am usually on my feet most of the time I am at home. I have a 3 year old. I used the calculator the nutrition guide laid out. If I calculate it at the sedentary lifestyle numbers, it says I should be eating 1900. If I calculate it at the moderately active lifestyle numbers, it says I should be eating 2050. Both calculations are including the subtracted 500 calories for weight loss. I feel that these numbers are too high. This past week my calories were set at 1700 calories (not eating my exercise calories back).

My TDEE (using the Scooby Workshop site), based on 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week and using a 15% calorie reduction puts my calorie needs around 1850. If I use 10% calorie reduction, it puts my calorie needs around 1950. Ultimately, I'd like to reduce fat. I know I have a few pounds that need to be lost too, but I'm guessing it's no more than 10 lbs. I want to make sure that I am fueling my body properly while doing this program, but I don't want it to be too little or too much. Can anyone give me some ideas on how many calories I should be eating?

Replies

• mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump...anyone?
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think 2000 should be enough, but don't fall under 1500. If you exercise you have to eat otherwise you won't have enough strenght to do it, especially second month.
  • AAL94LBB
    AAL94LBB Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE-20% and that's what I'm eating while I do Insanity. Great results so far. Just make sure you wear a heart rate monitor so you know how many calories you're burning. That way if you burn a lot more a couple days you know you should eat slightly more. Just message me if you have any questions! :D
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You and I have similar structures. I'm 31, 5'4", 148. I work a desk job (sedentary) and have a 16 month old (so when at home, I'm not sedentary). I'm on week 7 of Insanity and the whole time I've been eating around 1650-1700 to give my body enough fuel for the day whilst burning fat. I've only lost 3 pounds (and none in the past 3 weeks), so I'm just going to stick with what I've been doing because the month 2 workouts are longer and more strenuous. I can't decrease my intake because I need the fuel.

You seem to be well educated on the process, so if I were you, I'd bring your intake down by only 100-200 calories per day and see if you notice a difference. Give it a week. You'll be able to tell if it's enough by how well you do the workouts and how you feel throughout the day (headaches? sluggishness? etc...)

Sorry about the masks... I really just hate my face on these pictures. Anyway, here's my results so far.

http://s1331.photobucket.com/albums/w596/hottamolly82/?action=view&current=Fitness1-001_zps2d312d26.jpg