recommendations for an exercise machine...

Options
So, I'm moving in a few weeks... and finally will have room for a piece of gym equipment... Looking at stuff used... but I have no idea what's best..

I hate treadmills... So I was thinking of getting an elliptical. I was also thinking of the one that is supposed to burn super crazy calories... like step machine, elliptical, and treadmill all in one. What is that one called, a cross trainer? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So, I'm moving in a few weeks... and finally will have room for a piece of gym equipment... Looking at stuff used... but I have no idea what's best..

I hate treadmills... So I was thinking of getting an elliptical. I was also thinking of the one that is supposed to burn super crazy calories... like step machine, elliptical, and treadmill all in one. What is that one called, a cross trainer? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Get a barbell
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A power rack and a barbell.
  • erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks guys... I have other stuff I do for strength... I was looking more for a piece of cardio equipment...
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Get a jump rope. It's better exercise than a treadmill or an elliptical- stores in a drawer - and if it breaks you can replace it for a couple bucks.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Meh. Not a big fan of cardio equipment. Cardio isn't necessary for weight loss. It's great for overall health, but who wants to spend a couple hours on a piece of cardio equipment every week for the rest of their lives?

Forget the cardio equipment and instead find some sort of activity you can enjoy a couple times a week. Tennis, cycling, hiking, ultimate frisbee, whatever. Having fun is much more beneficial to your physical and mental health than slaving away on a piece of expensive cardio equipment in your apartment.

If you're really set on a piece of cardio equipment for your place, then get whatever you're willing to do over and over and over and over and over and over, day after day after day after day after day after day.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Get a jump rope. It's better exercise than a treadmill or an elliptical- stores in a drawer - and if it breaks you can replace it for a couple bucks.

And you can do it outside.