I just need to hear "you can!"

Options
I'm new and doing this alone. I'm looking to lose a lot. Like more than my three year old weighs! Scary endeavor. Unfortunately, most people in my life I'd rather not know about my planned weight loss and the ones who do are "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of folks. I just want to hear someone say "you can do this!". I've got a lot of work ahead of me, and positive feedback will lighten the load. I must want to know it's worth it....

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am sure that you CAN do it.....just remember that you are doing it for YOU and not to prove anyone else right or wrong. Take a deep breath, plan your meals and shop accordingly, ensure you have no tempting foods in the house and go for a walk each day. Take each day at a time and be kind to yourself if you mess up one day; look at it as a permanent lifestyle change rather than a diet. In the words of that famous L'Oreal advert : 'You are worth it'. Good luck!!! x
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Believe me, it can be done and you CAN do it. Log your food, watch your portions
    and snacks. Every bit of extra activity is a step in the right direction.
    I had one friend along the way to share with, I exercised alone, made healthier
    food selections for the family regardless of their complaints.
    I wish you all the luck in the world. After a while people notice and see that
    you were very serious about your journey.
    Good Luck!
    Linda
  • lboyett73
    lboyett73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS... and so can I. I just joined too and I would love to lose about 40 lbs as well. I have been at it only a week now and am down about 5 lbs and feeling great. I myself am a "I'll believe when I see it person"... I've tried a lot of different things and eventually life catches up with me and I slip back into my sedentary ways... it is easy to do with a desk job and teenagers. The reason I think this might actually work is because it is so easy. Anytime I start to feel hungry, I know I have to get off my butt and do something if I want to make my calorie goal for the day.

Have you ever tried following your 3 year old around and doing everything that he/she does? I did this when my oldest was little. Anytime he sat on the floor, I sat floor, anytime he got up, I got up... it was amazing how exhausting this was after just a short time. He also loved the mommy and me aerobics videos, mommy and me swimming, and mommy and me gymnastics classes when he was that age...and now, he is a better athlete than I ever was! Good Luck... and YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like to hear people say you can't and then show them you can ! Point being you can and don't really need to worry about what others think just be honest and don't make excuses, just do what you set your mind to !!!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Your goal weight loss is about the same as mine when I first made the decision to change the way I was living my life. I was completely overwhelmed by the amount of weight I needed to lose when I first started, but I made small goals for myself to help me through the process. I also took progress photos to help me through, as I knew I didn't want to depend solely on the number on the scale. 36 pounds later, I feel like a completely different person from where I started. I have to say that the friends I have made here and the support I have received from them has been absolutely immeasurable.

If I can do this, I KNOW YOU CAN do this!!
  • katiekatie0891
    Options
    I like to hear people say you can't and then show them you can ! Point being you can and don't really need to worry about what others think just be honest and don't make excuses, just do what you set your mind to !!!

Exactly. Excuses are what got me in this situation, and honesty is what's convinced me to change. Thanks for all the positive feedback everybody!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm new and doing this alone. I'm looking to lose a lot. Like more than my three year old weighs! Scary endeavor. Unfortunately, most people in my life I'd rather not know about my planned weight loss and the ones who do are "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of folks. I just want to hear someone say "you can do this!". I've got a lot of work ahead of me, and positive feedback will lighten the load. I must want to know it's worth it....

This is what was said to me: You will never lose weight, or if I was eating something: that's why you will always be fat. Now I have lost 22 pounds: the comments are don't lose anymore or you will be too thin (by whose definition), or you are definitely losing weight, because your face is getting smaller and your stomach is going down. Now I am able to leave the bathroom without running for the towel to cover myself, I sleep with my frilly night gowns and spread myself around (before I was fully covered up - Spring, Summer and Winter). It is a wonderful feeling at 22 pounds, just image when I hit 40. This is what you have to aim for and in order to succeed you are going to have to focus, it is going to be hard, but if you really want this, you will succeed.

I have decided to take as my goal all the negative energy and comments and channel them in to my calorie counting and exercise which seems to be working so far. Other wise I would just get depressed and start eating, which will result in giving my negative friends the results they are looking for. In order to succeed, you have to want this for you and no one else. As the saying goes: if you cannot love yourself, how can you love someone else.
  • katiekatie0891
    Options

This is what was said to me: You will never lose weight, or if I was eating something: that's why you will always be fat. Now I have lost 22 pounds: the comments are don't lose anymore or you will be too thin (by whose definition), or you are definitely losing weight, because your face is getting smaller and your stomach is going down. Now I am able to leave the bathroom without running for the towel to cover myself, I sleep with my frilly night gowns and spread myself around (before I was fully covered up - Spring, Summer and Winter). It is a wonderful feeling at 22 pounds, just image when I hit 40. This is what you have to aim for and in order to succeed you are going to have to focus, it is going to be hard, but if you really want this, you will succeed.

I have decided to take as my goal all the negative energy and comments and channel them in to my calorie counting and exercise which seems to be working so far. Other wise I would just get depressed and start eating, which will result in giving my negative friends the results they are looking for. In order to succeed, you have to want this for you and no one else. As the saying goes: if you cannot love yourself, how can you love someone else.

Allow me to get sappy- this choked me up! I've heard those same things time and time again. So glad to see that I'm not alone, and if others have succeeded that have been in my shoes, than I will too!
  • dazzlesangel
    dazzlesangel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it, you need to really want to and have faith in yourself, but once you do anything is possible! It will take time, the weight didn't go on overnight and it won't come off overnight either, and won't be easy (in my opinion nothing worth having ever is easy) but it will be worth it! Good luck!
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Honey, I started out on this adventure 18 weeks ago, and I weighed in at 278 pounds at 5'6". I was told "you're fat", "you're going to die at a young age", "No one is going to want to be with you if you look like that", "You're never going to make it". "you're worthless".

I am down 58 pounds. I have 60 to go to hit my first goal. I am doing this. I am getting stronger, healthier, and I am being successful. If I can do it, believe me YOU can do it! Log your food, count your calories, and move your butt. You don't have to pay for a gym, walk with your kids, get a bike and go for a ride. Pop in a video or work out to one on youtube. All you need to do is be as active as you can be, and watch your portions. It's scary as hell, and it's not easy, but it is worth it and SO ARE YOU!