Lady talk...Worse? Menstruation or Menopause?

Options
I am a Ovarian Cancer Survivor since Sept. 2012! :drinker:

I'm happy to be alive but menopause is no joke. I'm only 40!! :ohwell:

I remember the days I would complain about my period..... :embarassed:

What are your experiences or opinions???? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 so I'm well past menopause. I haven't found it a big deal. Hot flashes are moderate and most of the time they barely register- I just push up my sleeves or throw off the covers without thinking. I've lost weight since hitting menopause, but I worked at that. Never have to worry about being rejected by the blood bank for low hemoglobin. My one big complaint, dryness and tightness "down there" has been remedied by a ring implanted with synthetic estrogen.

And I do not miss menstruation at all.
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    BIGGGMOMMMA Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm 60 so I'm well past menopause. I haven't found it a big deal. Hot flashes are moderate and most of the time they barely register- I just push up my sleeves or throw off the covers without thinking. I've lost weight since hitting menopause, but I worked at that. Never have to worry about being rejected by the blood bank for low hemoglobin. My one big complaint, dryness and tightness "down there" has been remedied by a ring implanted with synthetic estrogen.

Omg My hot flashes are off the hook. I find myself waking up to go outside and wet my head with the hose sometimes... My "dryness" was noted by my husband but wasn't really a big deal. Did you ever have crying spells? I feel like a crazy diva "going off" then crying for the smallest of reasons ...LOL
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    I am 41 and I have pre meno.. OMG!! I would not wish that to anyone! Sweats, long nasty periods...no periods at all. Pain like I was in middle school again. Not fair!
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options

Omg My hot flashes are off the hook. I find myself waking up to go outside and wet my head with the hose sometimes... My "dryness" was noted by my husband but wasn't really a big deal. Did you ever have crying spells? I feel like a crazy diva "going off" then crying for the smallest of reasons ...LOL

OMG!! Crying spells are the worst, and I have days were I cannot stop laughing. My livido went downhill to the point of no sex for months. Has this happened to any of you?
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    Options

OMG!! Crying spells are the worst, and I have days were I cannot stop laughing. My livido went downhill to the point of no sex for months. Has this happened to any of you?

Oh yeah my libido is crazy (like when I was pregnant) Sometimes I don't even want my husband to LOOK at me, much less TOUCH me. Then all of a sudden I want to have sex all day long!!! hahaha ( I laugh now but it's not funny at that moment)
  • lisas1019
    lisas1019 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm 29, but had a complete hysterectomy (including ovaries) when I was 25 which threw me into menopause overnight. This wasn't my first bout with menopause as I had been in chemical induced menopause about 4 times before this... Due to my illness, I was not able to take any hormone replacements after the surgery. It SUCKED each time (chemical and real)... but now that I'm over it... no more monthly visits? HELL YEAH!!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Did you ever have crying spells? I feel like a crazy diva "going off" then crying for the smallest of reasons ...LOL

No- really lucky in that respect. It never affected my mood at all. Libido is down a little but I can be persuaded!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    My mother assures me that the insanity of menopause is worth the final result. She loves being POST-menopausal. It's just getting there that is a nightmare. As for me, I have always had terrible cramps. Throwing up, passing out occasionally. And I inherited that from Mom. I personally can't wait for menopause. Only about 25 more years...:grumble:
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    Options
    My mother assures me that the insanity of menopause is worth the final result. She loves being POST-menopausal. It's just getting there that is a nightmare. As for me, I have always had terrible cramps. Throwing up, passing out occasionally. And I inherited that from Mom. I personally can't wait for menopause. Only about 25 more years...:grumble:

There's nothing worse than a mother seeing her daughters get their period for the first time. I cried each time ( I have 4 daughters) I still have 1 more to go. My oldest gets very heavy symptoms, it just breaks my heart. My second oldest hardly has symptoms at all. She told me " I don't know what the big deal is"

Thank you for sharing .... :smile:
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    eh...had all the lady stuff taken out a few years ago due to medical reasons (after years of suffering)....Dr. put me on prozac for 6 months (so I wouldn't feel the urge to maim people, and the crying spells) and I actually take hormones and have for the past few years. I tried going off them a few months ago, but it was too much and started taking them again. And my friends and family thank me :laugh:

But the 'drive' is totally back...snicker...

BUT the first time going grocery shopping after my surgery I automatically turned down THAT isle in the store and started laughing out load because I didn't need it anymore (and I should have purchased stock in Tampax years ago?)

so eh, menopause might suck short term but better than the alternative in my book! :flowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    For me, menses was very painful and I had VERY heavy bleeding. I once soaked through a 24-pack of supers in two days. It was bad enough to call in sick. It was all physical, though, I NEVER got the moodiness, crying spells, *****iness, that I've read about.

Hot flashes and overheating/chills back and forth every half hour during menopause was no fun either. Now at 64 all that is behind me, plus I KNOW I will never be pregnant ( avoided that all my life). Which was worse? Hard to say. Both were, at worst, miserable. If I had to choose I'd take menopause over menses.
  • BIGGGMOMMMA
    Options
    eh...had all the lady stuff taken out a few years ago due to medical reasons (after years of suffering)....Dr. put me on prozac for 6 months (so I wouldn't feel the urge to maim people, and the crying spells) and I actually take hormones and have for the past few years. I tried going off them a few months ago, but it was too much and started taking them again. And my friends and family thank me :laugh:

But the 'drive' is totally back...snicker...

BUT the first time going grocery shopping after my surgery I automatically turned down THAT isle in the store and started laughing out load because I didn't need it anymore (and I should have purchased stock in Tampax years ago?)

so eh, menopause might suck short term but better than the alternative in my book! :flowerforyou:

Hormones don't help me...and the doc said the higher risk for cancers and stroke so I'm going to tough it out....(MY poor friends and family!) LOL I'm glad you are feeling better!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I've had periods where the pain was worse than getting hit by a truck (and I've been hit by a truck so I can compare lol), nausea bad enough to make me throw up, moodiness up the yazoo and enough blood to go through a pack of pads in one day.

Thankfully I sorted it out with my doctor and now the anti-depressants I'm on actually help with the symptoms, kinda like birth control did so now they're moderate and I don't get the cramps bad or nausea anymore....but it still annoys me when mom brags about her lack of periods. D<

She had most of her equipment taken out (they left some in so she wouldn't go into menopause right away) so now she gets to do the dance when it hits me every month.
    I'm just waiting for her to hit menopause. Then it'll be MY turn to brag mwahahahaha.