Cheap healthy food!!

Options
Hello Im a student with no job and I need ideas on some healthy but reasonably priced meals I can make. If anyone can help that would be great!! I'm new to this so if people could add me and give me some support that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Replies

• gillmitch
    gillmitch Posts: 64
    Options
    fruit and veg from a market stall you get more its fresher and cheaper than the supermarkets
  • michellechawner
    Options
    check out farmers markets in the area - also check the grocery store fliers ahead of time to see if lean meats are on sale or when they will be, as well as veggies and fruits and other foods you like. I tend not to buy things unless they are on sale myself... i'm trying to save money to move, so I know how you feel with not having a lot of money to work with.

I also get some of my groceries at Target or Walmart - their prices are better :)
  • portofmorrow
    portofmorrow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Avocados - Grab some of these when they go on sale. They're full of healthy fats so they fill you up!
    Raw nuts - Same as above!
    Hummus - Comes in a myriad of flavours. A great spread to replace mayo. Also good for dipping raw veggies into!
  • TheWanderingLemon
    TheWanderingLemon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I advocate dried beans--lentils being my favorite. They're easy to prepare, good for you, and cheap! Good luck!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love a good hamburger. I buy the leanest ground beef I can find which is not cheap, but I arrive at Walmart early in the morning. Usually around 8 or so and frequently find lean hamburger marked down. I refuse to pay full price for that. Grocery stores usually have their fliers online. Check out prices for fresh fruit and vegetables before you go. Roadside stands or farmer's markets are great for finding bargains on produce too. Also Walmart bakeries put out their better quality bakery items like whole grain or whole wheat bread early too.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Where do you live because I think this matter in what you can get locally grown. That said food at Walmart is usually cheaper than other grocery stores. They have a very yummy fish called Swai that has each filet shrink wrapped. It is very inexpensive. You can get approximately 11-12 fillets for ten dollars. If you bake them with a little lemon pepper and garlic salt they are absolutely awesome. I am on a very tight budget so I have had to get creative in order to be able to diet. I have my diary open to viewing by my friends. I also post recipes for my friends. I have a banana pancake recipe that is awesome inexpensive and delicious. I come out sweet and yummy so no sugar or syrup is needed. I'll send you a friend request.
  • madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Jacket potatoes with beans or tuna & sweetcorn.

Pasta with tin tomatoes with herbs and mushroom & bacon (fat removed).

Omlette.

Low fat sausage & mash and gravy.

Forgot one, beans on wholemeal toast.

Hope this heps.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Check Blogilates' Cheap Clean Eats! http://www.blogilates.com/cce-fb :)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Eat brown rice and beans--will keep you full and give you energy while you're job hunting.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Cheapest Breakfast = Oats w/milk, Eggs
    Cheapest Protein = Turkey, Eggs
    Cheapest Healthy Carb = Dried beans, Lentils (homemade dahl is my main carb source)
    Cheapest Veg = Anything frozen. But I usually buy whatever is on sale between Broccoli, Asparagus, Spinach.
    Cheapest Healthy Snacks = Hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, banana, homemade beef jerkey, homemade flapjacks
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have an Aldi in your area, but they are great for canned fruit, canned veggies, yogurt, and fresh produce. They also have good prices on pasta and sauces. Haven't looked at dried beans there, because I don't make a lot of those- though I should... They are also decent on eggs and milk. Otherwise, maybe a save-a-lot, or mad pricer or something like that. I know that there are some stores that have 10 for 10 on some canned goods like soup and stuff.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the quick-cook version of anything -- lentils, rice, beans, oatmeal, etc. It's much cheaper. Buying dry goods in larger quantities usually works out cheaper too, assuming you have the pantry space for it.
  • getwasted221
    Options
    It sucks cos everyone seems to live in America , where there's a Walmart. But I'm guessing the English version of that would be asda? I will have a look there. Thank you everyone!!
  • getwasted221
    Options
    Yes we do have an aldi!! I will have to try that thank you !!
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I do pretty well at Farmer's Markets. I can usually stock up on a weeks worth of food for $30-40 dollars, and end up eating a lot of vegetable stir fry, smoothies, yogurt, etc.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Lidl are also cheap, if you have one near you. In the UK farmers markets are ridiculously expensive - very overpriced. Try going to supermarkets in the evening when short-dated stuff is sometimes sold off cheap before it reaches its expiry date. Outdoor markets (ordinary ones, not farmers markets) can often be the place to find bargains - again a little while before they close, though you often get the best price if you can take a whole box of whatever-it-is off the trader's hands. Could you buddy-up with one or more friends and split your bargains?

There's been quite a bit in the press recently about living on £1 a day - google to find quite a few websites with excellent cheap nourishing recipes. Here's one of them -
    http://www.progressio.org.uk/sites/progressio.org.uk/files/Recipe Guide.pdf