help me out here runners!-pacing?!

Options
nrbrake
nrbrake Posts: 38 Member
Alright, so I've been yo-yo running for about 6 months now. I LOVE IT. I truly do love running. I'm a stay at home mom so exercise is really the only "me time" I get, by choice. Anyways, My pace is all over the place. Like super fast, and then barely running could probably power walk as fast... My goal is a 5k but I want to be sure I can finish it in under 32 minutes to spare myself embarrassment. I usually go 3 miles at a time right now between walking and running. I finish in right at 40 minutes. I'm basically looking for ways to set a good pace, and maintain it. I trying the singing a song in my head but as I sped up so did the song lol.

And other tips and tricks are welcome!

Thanks guys! (:

Replies

• chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Music really helps me.
    I'll listen to music that's repetitive and very beat-oriented. I'm not talking about hip hop kinda stuff on the radio, I mean artists like Deadmou5, Diplo, RJD2, things like that. You have to listen to consistent beats, you can't leave it up to yourself, I have the same issue with singing faster as I start to go faster lol...but when I focus on actual music I don't have that problem.

I also simply pay very close attention to my speed and body movements, basically using my arms as a metronome. When I keep my arms moving with the beat of a song I can make sure I'm maintained properly.
    As in, if I'm set where my right arm is forward on the downbeat, if I'm speeding up/slowing down my left arm will take the downbeat and I know I need to adjust. If I get really f'ed up, I'll stop and rhythmically lift the heels of my feet and swing my arms, like running in place, until I know I've established where I need to be. Essentially, I'm dancing.

My technique won't work for everyone, I've been studying music and music theory for most of my life so I have as deep understanding of it and can perfectly use this method...but give it a shot! Just listen to the music type I provided and think of your running body as a metronome, as if you're controlling the song.