Hypothyroidism....well, this is new!

The other day I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Totally surprising, since I've had it checked every year, and now, after having lost 31 pounds it appears I have an underactive thyroid. So, now I've entered the new world of a medication every day and periodic thyroid function tests.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? What's your experience been? And, can I assume that my weight loss has uncovered a problem that previously went undetected?

Would love to talk to anyone that's also dealing with this!

Thanks!!

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    My story is similar to yours. I'd already lost some weight, maybe 25 lb, when I was diagnosed. It was totally unexpected. But I started Synthroid about 9 months ago, and things have gone well since then. I haven't noticed a huge change in my metabolism. I was losing at a fairly good pace before the meds and now am probably losing slightly faster. And I also notice I have a more energy. One thing my doctor did advise was trying to keep my carbs under 150g/day, since many people with hypothyroidism are also carb-sensitive. I eat fairly low carb anyway (my carbs come mostly from fruits and veggies, since I'm also wheat-intolerant).

I don't know that my weight loss uncovered the problem. I've always been in the "low normal" range when it came to my thyroid labs, but last year I was squarely in the hypothyroid range.

The one thing I hate about taking Synthroid is having to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. I usually remember to take the med when I'm hungry......and oh yeah, I haven't taken the damn Synthroid yet! Grrrrr. So I take it and THEN have to wait another 30 minutes to eat breakfast. I'm trying to get better about remembering to take it when i first wake up. But so far I haven't been too successful with that.
  • ckess617
    ckess617 Posts: 69
    Thanks so much for the reply. I'm still just so surprised by the diagnosis, but it perhaps answered some questions about why my weight loss was slowing or plateauing as of late.

You're right about the medication! I usually take it when I wake up (I'm only on day #2 of taking it), and I am SO hungry - I don't want to wait!

I've been considering going more low-carb, so your comments are very helpful.

Thank you so much!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Women often experience changes in thyroid hormone production as they get older.

For me, it was Hashimoto's Thyroid that got mine slowed to a crawl. I was exhausted. Now I have plenty of energy. But the Synthroid didn't start my weight loss. My decision to eat less and be more active did. I am glad that I already had dealt with the thyroid before I changed my lifestyle though. It would have been discouraging to do all this hard work and not get results.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    The one thing I hate about taking Synthroid is having to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. I usually remember to take the med when I'm hungry......and oh yeah, I haven't taken the damn Synthroid yet! Grrrrr. So I take it and THEN have to wait another 30 minutes to eat breakfast. I'm trying to get better about remembering to take it when i first wake up. But so far I haven't been too successful with that.
    [/quote]

I have my thyroid meds on the night stand with a glass of water and take them before I even get up. By the time I do my morning routine, make coffee usually half an hour has passed and I can have breakfast, There is also a window for taking thyroid meds at night. You might want to talk to your doctor. Mine told me that the only reason why one should take thyroid meds 30 minutes before food is to keep the dosis as low as possible. If you take it with food you would have to take a bit more, which is difficult to do because of the way the dosis of the pills are presented.....well, at least in this country.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Have had it for over 20 years. Three years ago had a thyroidectomy. Diagnosis was a surprise to me too. Didn't have any classic symptoms. When I first started on meds I would get a bit jittery if I was overmedicated. Took a while for endocrinologist to figure out correct dosage.

Now I don't really think about it.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    I have it. I was diagnosed at 24, and that was 5 years ago. My mom has it, my aunt, my cousin, my grandfather, my great-grandfather etc all have/had it...I was doomed. It's just become part of my life. I feel good on the right dose of medicine, and it's become second nature to take my pill every day, limit soy, wait 30 min-1 hr to eat, and get labs every 6 months ( well, every month now that I'm pregnant).
    I haven't noticed an overall carb sensitivity, but I have mostly avoided alcohol because it has made me feel awful and put on the pounds quickly.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    I have had hypothyroid for years and it was not diagnosis properly for years and then I was on a roller coaster of different meds to stabilize it.

The medication is no big deal. Just be certain you get to TSH of 1 and make sure BOTH T3 an T4 are in the normal range (demand a full thyroid panel be done, especially at the beginning and look specifically at the Free T3 and Free T4 levels).

That is the goal. If you can not get there just by a t4 med alone (like synthyroid or levoxyl) then start researching Armour. I have to take BOTH a dose of levoxl and armour to be stable and manage my weight.

Also ignore the idiots who say that hypothyroidism should not cause you weight issues and it all about eating in a calorie deficit. This is BS when it pertains to a person with thyroid or any metabolic resistance issue and most people do not have a clue about it because they have no freakin idea how the thyroid works. It controls the engine and how fast your burn the fuel. So while someone might lose on a 1500 calorie diet you might not, especially if you are eating a diet high in carbs. No joke

Don't go on extreme low fat, low carb, or low calorie diets to lose weight , just use the suggestions here at MFP, they are moderate and work. You will screw up your thyroid royally if you use these type of diets, especially if you are a yo-yo dieter. You have to have fat and carbs to absorb your meds. You do not though need to eat a lot of carbs. 100-125 day is plenty. Fat is critical to metabolism. Be certain you have enough in your diet as well. Protein is your friend...

Edit---yep stay away from soy, and take meds on an empty stomach. Don't even brush your teeth for 30 minutes afterwards. Just about ANY metal interferes with absorption of meds
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    I have it. Getting on medicine was the best thing ever. Completely helped me lose weight so much quicker!
  • selfmom5
    selfmom5 Posts: 30 Member
    Have been on synthoid before an it did nothing for me. Runs in my family but for me it took YEARS of different drs to diagnose me with it. Had one dr tell me I had chronic fatigue syndrome and even had one tell me I was depressed! Which I wasn't! Was first put on armour and did great on it! I lost 35lbs after years of trying everything and couldn't lose weight. Finally started feeling NORMAL at about 3 months in. I get off my meds when I am pregnant, for me the side effects are to much of a risk for my babies. But it is hard to get it regulated again after. With my last it has been crazy! Been back on armour for about 4 months but other than not feeling like a tired brain dead blob, my weight is still not budging.
    Also doing some natural things to try to help and would love to get off my meds completely!