Almonds

Options
So I was doing great on my week, on my day, and I just started actually inputing my calories today to see what I'm eating. Every day, as a snack I have either a healthy fat and a fruit. Either almonds or cashews, and a fruit. I calculated the nuts and holy crap....like 300 to 400 calories. I gotta change that. That's too many, don't you think? What else could I eat as a healthy fat?

Replies

• DaniKPudgie
    DaniKPudgie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    avocados
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Some more nuts.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Almonds and cashews except in smaller amounts?
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I complained just a few days ago to my case worker, who's super into the healthy stuff and knows what he's doing, and he told me that all nuts are high in fat and calories, BUT that they're the good kind, so eliminating them isn't necessarily the best thing.

So my suggestion would be to keep on with the almonds/nuts, but to ration it out. I eat basse(bosse? sp?) almonds and they're about 208 calories per 1/4 a cup, so when I eat them, that's all that I'll have...no matter how good they are! c:

And in the end, anything thats a healthy fat is probably going to be high in calories anyways, so don't worry too hard about it.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat trader joes cinnamon almonds out of a 1/4 cup, even if I want a second serving. If I didn't do this I would eat more than my fair share and I don't think you should give up what you enjoy.
  • ShesReady2Live
    Options
    Almonds really are a good choice but yes very high in cals and fat. Try getting the small snack bags, you can get a box of 50 bags for a dollar, and put individual servings in them. It is easier to control your portions that way. Ill usually have 12 - 15 at a time and it holds me til I have a meal. Celery and two tablespoons of peanut butter is good too.
  • LovelyVeggies
    Options
    Baby carrots (and/or celery, cucumber, etc.) dipped in hummus (esp. the kind with tahini but no oil)
    Baby carrots or celery dipped in peanut or almond butter
    Sliced apple dipped in almond butter
    Combine the almonds or cashews with fresh fruit so you don't eat as many of them.

Obviously, you have to measure out the nut butters to make sure you don't consume too many calories. Log your snack before eating so you know how much you can eat.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Almonds and walnuts are some of my preferred sources of dietary fat (or hummus...mmm, hummus). Fat is good and needful in your diet, so as long as your aren't over your calories and fat limits, I wouldn't stress.
  • davisfun5
    davisfun5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems, portion sizes, with nuts. For me they are a trigger much like carbs, so crunchy and good. I switched to pistachios in the shell so now I am more conscious about the fact that I am eating something instead of just pop, popping them into my mouth. You could do the same with peanuts or walnuts, etc.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I love almonds and raisins mixed together, but that just substitutes carbs. Mostly it is about the portions. You just have to adapt to eating less of them or cutting something else to make room for them.
  • joolsweb
    joolsweb Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds anal but I count mine out. I have 10 almonds, once or twice a day, and then that's it. Like others have said though, they're ALL good, so as long as you count them and are within your calorie count I wouldn't worry (I do have mine raw with the shell on though)
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't give up almonds, they are very good for you. Just do not eat too many of them, or more than your macros permit you to.
    If you own a food scale, weigh them. If you don't, you can always count them.
    Put them in little plastic bags so you can keep them with you and keep yourself from going for "a couple more" (at least for me, I know it ends very badly...)
    Eat them with fruits or veggies if you want. You will feel full more quickly. :smile:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have a little rubbermaid container that holds 1/2 cup... the serving size for the nuts I get is 1/4 cup at 150cals... so I know I can eat half. I keep it in my lunch box and refill it every 2 days... usually it serves as a snack on the way to or from the gym to curb my hunger.
  • Momof3kidz16
    Momof3kidz16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    great ideas for portion control y'all. thanks! i'm just eating too many. And i'll try the peanut butter, that sounds yummy, but I know i could over do it with that, too.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    great ideas for portion control y'all. thanks! i'm just eating too many. And i'll try the peanut butter, that sounds yummy, but I know i could over do it with that, too.
    PB is way easier to overdo it with. At least when I put almonds in my hand I can count them. I usually get 4 and roughly an equal volume of raisins. A few minutes later I will get the same serving again and that will be it for the night (it's a common after dinner snack for me).
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    just eat fewer nuts
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I was doing great on my week, on my day, and I just started actually inputing my calories today to see what I'm eating. Every day, as a snack I have either a healthy fat and a fruit. Either almonds or cashews, and a fruit. I calculated the nuts and holy crap....like 300 to 400 calories. I gotta change that. That's too many, don't you think? What else could I eat as a healthy fat?

Fat ("healthy" or otherwise) is going to add roughly 9 calories per gram to your log, give or take a few for inaccuracies. So if you are looking to get in some fats, then it doesn't really matter the source, just the portion.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds anal but I count mine out. I have 10 almonds, once or twice a day, and then that's it. Like others have said though, they're ALL good, so as long as you count them and are within your calorie count I wouldn't worry (I do have mine raw with the shell on though)

So glad you said that! I also hand-count my almonds out and feel a little on the obsessive side every time. I try to spread my almond time out--1/2 an ounce in the morning with breakfast and half in the afternoon as a snack. Also, other people mentioned it, but avocados are surprisingly low in calories, but have the good fats!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've had 40 almonds today!!! Mmmm 300 cals of deliciousness!!