Couch to 5K.....Thoughts?

Options
I weight almost 300lbs, but I'm wanting to run my first 5k in September. Someone suggested I use this program and I've looked in to it. But I'd like to get some more opinions on it.

Anyone want to share?

Replies

• annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm only on the end of week 1 so can't comment too much but I know one thing I've read is you should be able to at least walk a 5k before attempting.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am going to be doing week 9 next week. the LAST week!!! I have started my first time (this is my 3rd attempt) 250lbs+. The program is great. I can now run 28 min without stopping. Next week will be 30 min. I never was able to run 10 sec without stopping. It's amazing!
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    DO IT!. I just finished week 6 and did my first 5K (color me rad) today! I am not fast but finished and 3 months ago went I started MFP I couldnt have imagined doing it!
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Do it! Its a wonderful program and they have other programs that you can do after it to keep yourself motivated!
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    Give it a try! It got me running. I never thought I'd be able to run 3 miles in my life. I had to do a few weeks more then once, but that's okay. I'm working on getting faster now.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started C25K at 270lbs, I am currently on Week 5 of the program.

Before I started the program I had worked up my walking distances to the 5K (3.1 miles) distance (even up to 5 miles.)

I have also reserved the right to repeat weeks as needed with the C25K program. I have repeated week 3 only so far.

After about three weeks of the program, I ran a mile, non-stop for the FUN of it!

You can totally do this program, it is a conditioning program, not a speed program (it look me three weeks to figure out how to gauge where what my speed should be!)

Just an FYI (learn from my fail): Go SLOW in the jog portions, you shouldn't be out of breath during/after them. If you can't talk/carry a conversation you are too fast for your conditioning level.

Friend me if you would like! :) I KNOW you can do this!!!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh 270 right now and I'm on week 8. It's fantastic! I couldn't recommend it more!

Just be careful, pay attention to your body, and make sure to take all your rest days.

Add me if you want :flowerforyou:
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump. Really interested to read input.

I am only on Day 3-Week 1 Couch to 5K and so far I like it! I feel like my breathing while running has improved and it's getting easier. I was super sore after the first day but then all that faded away once I did the second day, and the third. I'm 229 pounds and was nervous about being terrible, but it's actually been easier than I expected. Good luck!
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i completed it last week and it's great. got me easily jogging continuously for half an hour in 9 weeks. note that 30mins is not the same as 5k - i was doing about 4.5k in the half hour, but running is boring for me so i never bothered to go on to a full 5k!
    definitely a good programme if you're doing a 5k event though.

additional info: i was around 170lb when i started and 29yo. i know someone who's heavier and older and she had to repeat a few of the podcasts more than the recommended 3 times before she could succesfully do all the running in that section (from around week 4). when i started i struggled to run the whole first minute.

i found laura really encouraging and unobtrusive in the podcasts too.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I started it at 260 lbs, 5'2", female, 45, arthritis in my knees. I used the Zombies, Run! 5K training app. I thought it was very well paced. I could already walk 5 miles at a stretch, and I didn't have any joint problems at all. Finished it at the end of May and I can run 3 miles now without stopping. Couch to 5K would probably bore me to tears. I liked the extra bit of story line and characters in the Zombies, Run! app. Okay, now here IS the problem I ran into. I had an inadequate stretching routine, so now I'm dealing with IT band problems. Before you do this, GET YOURSELF A FOAM ROLLER. Learn how to use it. Stretch appropriately and adequately. EVERY TIME YOU WORK OUT. Otherwise, you could injure yourself. And obviously, listen to your body. If your knees, ankles or hips hurt, you may want to back off and wait a bit. Also, get yourself to a real running store and have them videotape and analyze your stride. I run barefoot or in minimalist shoes, so I got myself checked out first to make sure that I wasn't doing anything bad like pronating or heel striking that could increase my chance of injury. You should too. Depending on where you live, there may be a local runners group that does 5K training runs. That could be fun.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I loved the couch to 5k program. I could barely run a half mile when I started, but I'm signed up for my third 10k in two weeks.

Invest in decent running shoes.
    Seriously.

Having the right shoes makes a huge difference in outdoor running. Go to a running store and get some help picking the right shoes for your running style. It's going to be more expensive than buying a pair at payless, but you drastically reduce the risk of injuries with a good pair of shoes. Always warm up, and always make sure you stretch after your muscles are warm. Stretching cold muscles can increase the chance of injuries as well. Take it easy and remember to breathe. I know it sounds silly, but I've known a lot of people who, when trying to push for that last half mile, will tend to hold their breath to focus on the effort. Breathe deep and regular. And finally, have fun. The running community tends to be a fairly friendly bunch. If and when you decide to run in your first 5k, you'll probably be nervous, but the racers are going to adopt you as part of the family.
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Another thumbs up for the Zombies, Run! program. I love it and adds an interesting story line to your runs. They have a special 5K training program for iOS and Android (I use Android version), and is better than some other C25K programs. It starts you, for instance, with drills of 15 seconds of running and 1 minute of walking. Helps work you into running if you aren't used to it, plus provides a great Zombie Apocalypse story.

My advice, as you are a bigger person, is to start on a treadmill if you have one. Treadmills, although boring, have a lot more cushion and padding than asphalt. It will help on your joints until the weight comes off.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I used the training program a couple of times myself, I love it! I have had girlfriends that have also used it with great results. I think for your first 5K just be proud of yourself for signing up and just focus on finishing it. Don't worry about your time. You the program as a guide and as long as you are trying your personal best and improving that's all you can do. Just do your best. Some days you'll find you'll have more energy than other days, just be proud of yourself for getting out there and trying. Energy comes and goes, but yes I highly recommed the program! Good luck on your 5K...and here's to you and many more races to come.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I started it at 260 lbs, 5'2", female, 45, arthritis in my knees. I used the Zombies, Run! 5K training app. I thought it was very well paced. I could already walk 5 miles at a stretch, and I didn't have any joint problems at all. Finished it at the end of May and I can run 3 miles now without stopping. Couch to 5K would probably bore me to tears. I liked the extra bit of story line and characters in the Zombies, Run! app. Okay, now here IS the problem I ran into. I had an inadequate stretching routine, so now I'm dealing with IT band problems. Before you do this, GET YOURSELF A FOAM ROLLER. Learn how to use it. Stretch appropriately and adequately. EVERY TIME YOU WORK OUT. Otherwise, you could injure yourself. And obviously, listen to your body. If your knees, ankles or hips hurt, you may want to back off and wait a bit. Also, get yourself to a real running store and have them videotape and analyze your stride. I run barefoot or in minimalist shoes, so I got myself checked out first to make sure that I wasn't doing anything bad like pronating or heel striking that could increase my chance of injury. You should too. Depending on where you live, there may be a local runners group that does 5K training runs. That could be fun.

Everything here^^^^ FTW (except I don't run barefoot or minimalist.)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I started running/walking on my own & then started the C25k app. Developed an injury & had to stop running & walking for a few weeks. I really missed it, I can honestly say I enjoy running & the program is wonderful. The injury was caused by wearing unsupportive shoes for my flat feet. I can not stress enough NOT to skimp on the shoes, they are a very important tool as well as proper stretching before & after a run. Also don't overdo it, I wasn't allowing my self any type of recovery and was running everyday, which was too much for my week flat feet, which where not used to any strenuous activity besides resting on an ottoman. So, listen to your body, don't go for speed, pace yourself & know that you can do it.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The first time I finished, I started at 206 (my highest and put on very quickly one summer) and finished running 5 miles. Not that everyone will have that success, but it's possible. You will be running the 30 minutes.

I've started over after a long snowy winter with the Zombies Run 5K and I love it!!

One piece of advice, allow yourself to repeat weeks when needed, but aim for only one repeat of each. People get scared when they see the long 20 minute run in the 5th week (in the traditional method) and think they can never do it. So the repeat week 3 and 4 over and over. You made it that far, just throw caution into the wind, start out slower then you think you should, and run the darn 20 minutes. You'll be proud you did.

As for minimalist running, that is a long thread in itself. I run with very little shoe and love it. It takes time and more then can be explained here, but consider both methods, shoes and not, before choosing. There is no right answer.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started it last year in the spring. I was about 275 pds. I repeated each week twice. Everything went good for 7 months then hurt knee. It took 6 months for that to heal enough to start up again. I'm on week 7 now. I have been on week 7 all month. I listen to my body but am not too soft on myself. :) Listen to your body. Don't be too hard or too soft on yourself. I enjoy Steve Turano videos on youtube. He is like a coach with very short videos.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Another thumbs up for the Zombies, Run! program. I love it and adds an interesting story line to your runs. They have a special 5K training program for iOS and Android (I use Android version), and is better than some other C25K programs. It starts you, for instance, with drills of 15 seconds of running and 1 minute of walking. Helps work you into running if you aren't used to it, plus provides a great Zombie Apocalypse story.

My advice, as you are a bigger person, is to start on a treadmill if you have one. Treadmills, although boring, have a lot more cushion and padding than asphalt. It will help on your joints until the weight comes off.

Interesting... I started C25K last year, really liked it ...but this zombies one sounds really fun... I'll have to look it up
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run for a bus before starting C25K last summer. I didn't repeat any weeks and got a really supportive sports bra and some good running shoes in week 5 when I knew I wasn't going to give up. I've run four 5Ks since then and got a PB each time. Yesterday was 32:16 knocking 124 seconds off my PB from 21 days ago. I run 5K three times a week wherever I am - holiday, working away - and find that running really helps keep me sane. The programme worked for me and I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see if running is for them. I never would have believed it would be for me.

I used the NHS podcasts featuring Laura and am really glad I did. I now use Runkeeper and my own music but also PodRunner.