8 weeks postpartum

Options
Hi i am zoe. I had a baby 8 weeks ago. My belly went down quite welk but the last week its poking out again. At my 6 week check i was advised by the doctor to not exercise or go swimming till 12 weeks as i had a c section.

So i have got zumba on dvd to start at home. Has anyone had sucess with this?

Any advice on a diet plan would be great ie where can i get menu ideas from?

Hope you can help... Thankyou :-)

Replies

• saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the little one! I also had a c-section and would advise you to listen to you doctor and wait the 12 weeks although it's tempting to get started again. Have you been checked for diastasis? After I had my little one I had this weird little pouch - turns out, my abs had separated during my pregnancy and the physiotherapist that checked me actually was able to put 5 fingers in between my abs. The good news is that through rehab you can pull your abs back in place.

Are you breastfeeding? That burns about 500 cals per day (on average). I would just caution you to be careful and take your time getting back into the swing of things. I feel like there is way too much pressure to get back to your pre-baby weight within a few months of giving birth.

With walks (where I was engaging my pelvic floor and core) and breastfeeding I was able to get back to my pre-baby weight within 6 months. RE: Zumba, I find it to be a great workout, based on the instructor, but there is a lot of twisting. Your hormone level is probably all over the place and having carried a baby your ligaments and body is loose and all over the place - all that is a prime situation for injury. Perhaps you can get some advice from a trainer or physiotherapist that specializes in postpartum. I don't have any expertise in this area, just sharing a few things I've learn since my LO.
  • cchardy82
    cchardy82 Posts: 26
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I am a mom of 3 and have had 3 C Sections. PLEASE listen to your doctor! I would not advise Zumba until you are cleared. I did not listen to my doctor and ruptured internally 10 weeks after my last C Section. It set my recovery back almost another 6 weeks and was very painful. I got a secondary infection as a result as well.

Swelling in your abdomen is normal-even new swelling. Your muscles were damaged during the C Section and your hormones are out of whack. Be patient! Drink a ton of water, even if you are not thirsty. This will help with bloating and water weight. Eat small, frequent meals so your energy levels stay up. When my babies slept, I would cut fruit and cooked chicken up and kept it in the fridge. I was able to eat here and there and still care for my newborn.

If you are breastfeeding, it is even more important that you are resting, following instructions and taking care of yourself. Your body is burning 500 or more calories a day just feeding your baby. It also puts a strain on your body if you are forcing yourself to do more than you should.

C Sections are major surgeries. You will heal and get your body back :) I did after each one of my pregnancies. My first only took 3 months. My 2nd and 3rd took longer but now I am in the best shape I have ever been in. You will get there! Just enjoy your baby and take care you :).
  • ghia27
    ghia27 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply. This is my second c section, the first being twelve years ago. I plan on taking it slow with the exercise with a gentle easing in. I will be swimming one or twicw a week after my 12 weeks are up.

In december i go back to work and will be getting a 3 hour work out each day as i clean a care hone.
  • ghia27
    Options
    Oops i posted before i was ready. Not great with mobile internet.

I am not breast feeding this time around, which i regret as i can really notice the difference.

I feel ready to start slow. I had the contraaceptive inplant fitted this week which i think has contribute to the bloating.

Many thanks
  • cchardy82
    cchardy82 Posts: 26
    Options
    I bet your bloat is hormone related. It will balance out! you are right, once you go back to work you will be working out by cleaning! Wow, I admire you for that! I know that is a hard job.

Congratulations again on the baby :). Newborns are so special! Don't feel guilty about not breastfeeding. I didn't breastfeed my middle child and still lost the weight. It was easier to diet because I wasn't hungry all the time!
  • ghia27
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and thanks for the congrats.

My little freyja is a beauty x