Feel bad on days with no cardio?

Options
Hi all!

Two weeks ago I started doing about 1-2 hours of cardio a day. I went for 10 days straight, and then took a day off, the entire day I felt like garbage (not emotionally, physically). The very next day I start back up and do my morning hour of cardio on the elliptical and all of a sudden I feel wonderful again.

I've done stints of exercising in the past and never had this kind of reaction before, anyone have any similar experiences?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Don't start beating yourself up for taking days off. You need them. Maybe it's runner's high, but I'm convinced those bad feelings (at least for me) come more from an emotional than physical reaction. They went away after about a year of steady exercise when I realized I was never going to quit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you're used to your shot of endorphins. i get this way myself. days off are the worst. but necessary, so take them anyway.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just get absolutely plastered the night before my rest day so I spend my rest day hungover.

I find it keeps me pretty sedated.
  • delliso
    delliso Posts: 2
    Options
    Your body gets addicted to the hormones serotonin and endorphins. I try not to miss days. Try changing your activity or simply cutting back for an easier day...
  • nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I was wondering if it might be something like that.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i do 60 minutes of cardio a day .............everyday................
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    cuz u arent supposed to take a day off and yur body and mind is glad you are exercising
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    cuz u arent supposed to take a day off and yur body and mind is glad you are exercising

How can I put this without sounding rude? you are so wrong. You are meant to take days off, it helps the body repair itself, if you are training 7 days a week 365 days a year, you are going to being doing more harm than good. Nothing wrong with doing alot of cardio but personally think most people should take atleast 2 in every 7 days from training.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    do yoga on your day off. it feels amazing in a different way, and you still feel like you're doing something.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Yep! This happens to me as well.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    like above stated , you can get a real high from running and it clears the mind,

without running i feel terrible. :)

just know when to rest !
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am a grumpy bleep if I go too many days without cardio. When I'm in a bad mood my husband politely asks me to go downstairs and get on the treadmill. haha
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Come on mate, " Your not suppose to have a day off". Everybody needs a day off every now and then. If helps your body recover, and come back fresh and better, in a lot of cases. Nothing wrong with days off.