Binged today, but did cardio...question

Options
I binged today and ate almost 3000 calories...my food diary for today Jun 22nd is public and you can view it for reference. However, I exercised and burned 1000+ calories from exercise, and am still in the middle of exercising. Will the cardio exercise (elliptical trainer) help in erasing the bad that I did to my body with my binge, or will it only burn off the calories?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    calories in / calories out. Sounds like the perfect plan to me. Sometimes I go for a walk so I can eat a donut. (did that today in fact)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    wait, you've burned 1000 calories on the elliptical today and you're still on the damned machine? are you trying to set a record or something? get off the elliptical and do something productive like read a good book. 3000 calories isn't that big a deal, especially if you (allegedly) have burned 1000 calories in exercise. relax, you haven't done anything "bad to your body".
  • nestingdoll
    Options
    hey sorry, my goal is 1200 calories per day, so 3000-1000=2000, still have a bit to go, right?
  • nestingdoll
    Options
    calories in / calories out. Sounds like the perfect plan to me. Sometimes I go for a walk so I can eat a donut. (did that today in fact)

awesome...calories in/calories out....nothing else then i can keep exercising back to my goal which is 1200 calories per day...woooo
  • nestingdoll
    Options
    wait, you've burned 1000 calories on the elliptical today and you're still on the damned machine? are you trying to set a record or something? get off the elliptical and do something productive like read a good book. 3000 calories isn't that big a deal, especially if you (allegedly) have burned 1000 calories in exercise. relax, you haven't done anything "bad to your body".

Elliptical Trainer 30 329
    Elliptical Trainer 30 320
    Elliptical Trainer 30 362

30 mins sets...the # after is the calories burned according to my machine...i want to do one more hour.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The cardio will burn off the calories, but you can never erase the bad. Sorry. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm just amazed that your typing this while working out.

I say go for it. Stay on that machine. Maybe you can iron some shirts or do dishes too while your at it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This. You've switched one extreme act (binging) for another (over-exercercising on the ellipical). Chill out. It's one day. Stop trying to kill yourself on the elliptical to punish yourself for eating.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I say go for it. Stay on that machine. Maybe you can iron some shirts or do dishes too while your at it.

I agree that this is one impressive feat!
  • nestingdoll
    Options

"In the middle of" meaning that I've done 3 sets:

and on the laptop now, but will continue two more sets of 30 mins until i burn off the remainder of the 700+ calories...that's what I meant.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    You binged because you're not eating enough. Raise your calories, and don't worry about today. Excessive exercise after a binge sounds like bulimia..
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

30 mins sets...the # after is the calories burned according to my machine...i want to do one more hour.

It's June for God's sake.

Go outside and go for a walk or something,
  • nestingdoll
    Options

This. You've switched one extreme act (binging) for another (over-exercercising on the ellipical). Chill out. It's one day. Stop trying to kill yourself on the elliptical to punish yourself for eating.

yes, still struggling to be more disciplined in with my eating habits...
  • nestingdoll
    Options
    You binged because you're not eating enough. Raise your calories, and don't worry about today. Excessive exercise after a binge sounds like bulimia..

thank you for the advice, will do :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    at 170 pounds, your goal of 1200 is too low. eat at a higher number and you'll find yourself bingeing less. either way, it's one day. hit the stop button and go watch Misfits on Hulu
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Agreed.

8488541.png
  • nestingdoll
    Options

It's June for God's sake.

Go outside and go for a walk or something,

it's 10pm here...it's a bit more convenient to do this indoors at night time. :) thanks or the suggestion though.
  • raydolph
    raydolph Posts: 43
    Options
    A wise man once said that you don't lose all the weight over night, and you also don't gain all the weight back over night. If I have a binge day (which is very very very rarely) I will look at my net calories for the week to date. If its the beginning of the week when i binge, then I make it up the rest of the week with a little more exercise each day. If it's at the end of the week when I binge, i look at my net calories for the week and make sure I have the calories available to go on that binge.

Don't kill yourself on that elliptical, in the future look at your calories for the week instead of for the day. If you think you need to burn more calories through exercise then go ahead and work out a little more each day and earn more calories for the week to make up for your binging.
  • nestingdoll
    Options
    at 170 pounds, your goal of 1200 is too low. eat at a higher number and you'll find yourself bingeing less. either way, it's one day. hit the stop button and go watch Misfits on Hulu

haha! thank you for the suggestion, i will do that :)
    i appreciate the constructive comments and not the sarcastic ones that try to bring me down. thank you lots ^_^
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

awesome...calories in/calories out....nothing else then i can keep exercising back to my goal which is 1200 calories per day...woooo

it is important to note that 1200 calories diets are pretty low for any adult...and it is already a considerable deficit. My point: you don't need to exercise all the extra calories off because the worst you have done so far (considering the 1000 calories already burned) is eat at maintenance level - that will not cause weight gain and will hardly affect your loss for the week.

EDIT: you should research TDEE and consider changing to that approach for calculating calories - it will let you eat more every day and helps stop the hunger that makes you overeat.