Cheese

Options
Ive heard some people on mfp claiming that cheese is bad. I get that it is full of fat and saturated fat to boot. Question: I am lactose intolerant, allergic to nuts and adverse to drinking my calcium via fake dairy. Is it ok to eat the cheese as long as it is within my calorie and fat goals? I try to eat a breakfast cheese which has 7g fat, half sat, 260 cal, and 24 percent of my daily calcium, or have a couple slices of cheddar. I also find it very filling and keeps me full for longer than the only other dairy product my stomach doesnt reject- yogurt. Yogurt is amazing, but I can't stay full on it long enough. Cheese yes or no?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, there's nothing wrong with cheese. Anyone that tells you not to eat it doesn't know what they're talking about.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use to have cheese all the time when i was losing weight. And a decent amount as well. Never stopped me from reaching my goals.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Cheese is awesome. I eat it pretty much every day, often more than once. Enjoy your cheese.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    What a friend we have in cheeses,
    Gorgonzola, blue, and brie,
    What a privilege to serve them
    Sliced, with fruit, for you and me.
    Oh Canadian Black Diamond!
    Who could ever ask for more?
    Earthy, smoky, full of flavor,
    Aged since 1994.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love cheese! As long as it fits in your goals, eat it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Too much dairy gives me migraines. That being said, it is a wonderful source of protein and dietary fat. I use it sparingly, but I tend to have a little daily. If it fits your macros, go for it. It's not bad for you.
  • tracyschreier
    tracyschreier Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat 18 cubes of cheese just about every day....sometimes at once, and sometimes scattered throughout the day. It is really filling and yummy as a snack. Cheese is good.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cheese is gooooooooood. So long as its not the velveeta/American cheese plastic crap, you're good. 11 years ago, I traveled to France and stayed with a french family there, and they had cheese every night after dinner, they seemed to be pretty healthy and slim to me.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I dont know where I would be without cheese, those days when i seem to be struggling with my calorie intake, just take a couple of extra slices yummmy
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. It ranks up there with chocolate. Possibly slightly higher.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Ive heard some people on mfp claiming that cheese is bad. I get that it is full of fat and saturated fat to boot. Question: I am lactose intolerant, allergic to nuts and adverse to drinking my calcium via fake dairy. Is it ok to eat the cheese as long as it is within my calorie and fat goals? I try to eat a breakfast cheese which has 7g fat, half sat, 260 cal, and 24 percent of my daily calcium, or have a couple slices of cheddar. I also find it very filling and keeps me full for longer than the only other dairy product my stomach doesnt reject- yogurt. Yogurt is amazing, but I can't stay full on it long enough. Cheese yes or no?

If you're lactose intolerant I can't imagine why you'd want to eat much cheese at all, speaking from personal experience. You can get calcium from nuts, leafy greens, ect. Most people that are lactose intolerant can manage yogurt without issue so go for it. But eating cheese or any dairy isn't necessary to get all your daily calcium. That's something manufactured by dairy companies since it's a business like anything else.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yes, there's nothing wrong with cheese. Anyone that tells you not to eat it doesn't know what they're talking about.

If something makes you sick it doesn't make much sense to keep on eating it lol
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Cheese, bread, and sweets are my favorite. I cut out the bread and sweets when losing weight but the cheese never goes. I eat cheese everyday. They say "hard" cheeses are better for you. As you said, other things don't feel me up and keep me full like cheese and nuts. So yes I will eat these every day to some extint. I also don't get a lot of dairy from outside sources and cheese is the best way for me to do this. I eat cheese and lose weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

If something makes you sick it doesn't make much sense to keep on eating it lol
    I'm actually slightly lactose intolerant but cheese doesn't seem to upset my stomach as much as other forms of dairy (like milk or ice cream). I might feel a tiny bit bloated but I only feel sick if I eat a lot (>1 cup of cheese).
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, can't drink milk or have ice cream, but cheese and yogurt are still ok. I eat cheese at least 2 times a day. (It will bother me if I eat like an entire cup too). I stick with the full fat ones, not the fakey crap. As long as it fits into your daily/weekly goal eat it :glasses:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    As long as you watch your portions, cheese is a great dairy item to have. (: I watch my cheese intake closely because it was definitely a big factor in my weight gain, but I'm still able to have it and lose weight.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You will see quite a few posts on MFP about foods that people claim others shouldn't eat. I think it's best to ignore those claims altogether for you own sanity's sake.