Needing a support system...

Options
When I was only 17 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At 230 pounds, this was really no surprise. Then, add another slap in the face, I was told my health problems were already so bad, I could never have children. My only possible hope may be if I could lose 80-90 pounds. Then maybe my diabetes would all but completely go away and everything would be alright. In the first month after the diagnosis, I lost 13 pounds, I was doing great. Then, being stupid, I got off track. I quit watching my diet and exercise. I got married at 19 and jumped from 230 to 257 pounds within a matter of a couple months. I was told it was no big deal, it was just 'happy weight'. Well, I was, and remain to be, very happy with my husband, but that extra 27 pounds, almost killed me. Things going on in my life, threw me into depression. My hair started falling out, blood sugar stayed sky high, I had no energy. All I did was lay in bed and cry. I started having "stress reactions". I would break out in a rash that looked like 3rd degree burns all over my body and my lips and eyes would swell up horribly. My lips got so swollen a couple times, they would bust open. My mother actually told my husband that I had gotten so bad off she had began expecting a call any day that I was dead. Harsh? Not really. She was right. And what was so bad, was I had let myself get to that point. I decided as soon as I heard that, that there had to be a change. I had to save myself. But I had no idea how. So with the help of my husband, my family, and some really amazing friends, I started making myself get out of bed and start living a little. I was still staying stressed out. There were several days I would eat, and couldn't keep my food down. But I kept fighting. I decided that I was way too young to just let myself... well, die. At the time of my joining this site, I was down to 206! That is 51 pounds of my life I've gotten back! I still fight sometimes to be able to eat, or to keep my food down. But I'm doing so much better. I recently found out that there is a great possibility that I can have children thanks to my weight loss. And my diabetes is slowly getting better! I still have a way to go, but I'm working on it constantly. As of today, I am down to 202 and getting better all the time. I know this is a long story, but it's what got me where I am now. I am working really hard to get down to where I need to be. Any extra support, would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• CjLo8
    CjLo8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First congratulations on what you've lost already! You can add me if you want, I'm looking for more support too!
  • sophygld
    sophygld Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow, you have such a beautiful photo! And your health and ability to have children are well worth fighting for! You have come a long way already, I am sure the tools on this website will help you even further on your journey. I am happy to support you - I have 5 kids and homeschool so don't have heaps of time to email but I would love to see your progress!
  • TorrieParkerson
    Options
    Thank you both. I sent both of you a request. And sophygld, thank you so much. It is worth fighting for!
  • faithcraft
    faithcraft Posts: 14
    Options
    Wow, you are beautiful Congrats on your weight loss but more so on your ability to pick yourself up and make cahnges for YOU! You should be so proud of yourself. I am sure your family is. You may add me if you like. I have not been good at getting on here. I am hoping to do better.
  • kpeterson00
    kpeterson00 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great job Torrie, you are inspiring. I have been trying so hard to lose my weight I gained in the past 20 years. I was up to 290 in 2005 when I lost my husband very suddenly. That was 8 years ago and I have only lost 25 lbs and seem to continuosly be dieting. I just need to read more stories like yours to motivate me. I have gout and arthiritis which the Dr's say with weight loss the pain will minimize, Thank you and keep up the good work and keep posting.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story Torrie. If having an older man around to motivate you would help, feel free to send a FR. But what you are doing it for is certainly worth the fight. Congrats and best wishes.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you need a friend for support, I'll help. Add me if you like. And congrats on the 60lbs.
  • minnie1957
    minnie1957 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you would like an older lady to help you through your journey, please feel free to add me. I will support you all the way. You have done so well so far, make sure you keep up the good work.