Inline Skating!!

Options
So I bought some inline skates last spring, and used them a couple times a month throughout the spring and summer. It was slow going at first. Verrrrry slow going. I started getting somewhat good and stopped looking like I was gonna fall on my *kitten* every time I attempted to stop, and was able to get to a somewhat nice speed. I haven't picked them up yet this summer, but I'm planning on doing so this weekend.

My questions to all you inline skaters are, is it like riding a bike, or do I have to go through the whole learning process all over again because I was just getting the hang of if prior to packing it in for the fall/winter months? How long did it take you to feel comfortable going at a nice speed, and how long did it take you to master going down hill??!! That, is something I didn't master too well.

And finally, how hot do your legs look now?? :glasses:

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ::Bumpity bump::

No inline skaters?

Maybe my topic should have been titled 'how I'm offended by cauliflower pancake eating girls in the gym wearing makeup and taking selfies'. :tongue:
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been skating since I was about seven (almost 22 now). It is similar to riding a bike in that you will likely remember how to skate - you'll just be a tad rusty.. and actually I was a tad rusty at riding my bike when I got it out about a week ago to start riding it again. Who do you skate with? I found a group of skaters in my area (Pittsburgh) who host six skates a week to skate around the metro area - maybe you could find the same!
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think it is like riding a bike
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have been skating since I was about seven (almost 22 now). It is similar to riding a bike in that you will likely remember how to skate - you'll just be a tad rusty.. and actually I was a tad rusty at riding my bike when I got it out about a week ago to start riding it again. Who do you skate with? I found a group of skaters in my area (Pittsburgh) who host six skates a week to skate around the metro area - maybe you could find the same!

Yes, the are quite a few groups that meet up a few days a week, and of course they welcome all levels, but i'd hate to slow them down because I have hill issues. Maybe in a few weeks I'll check them out.

Thanks for the feedback though!
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hills still make me a bit nervous too! Good luck and have fun!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love my rollerblades! I started as a kid and love it. Legs have never been a problem area for me, so I can't say much about that, but the calorie burn is great. Yes I think you will be a little rusty at first but once you do it regularly it is super fun, maybe the 5th time out you will be good to go. I don't have too many major hills, I skate on the boardwalk at the beach, the few hills I have are fun. I bike too. I feel 100% comfortable on my blades, more like 80% on my bike, maybe less.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering buying inline skates as a different form of exercise. I live in Munich and it's a huge favourite past time here. So much so that in a town near me , between May and Sept, they close the road off to traffic in the evening and allow skaters of all ages and abilities to take to the roads and skate to music, it's a fun, fab event every Monday. I've lived here for five years now and I've always wanted to take part. Now I'm 45 lb lighter I feel I can give it a go. Reading your post has given me a boost to make more of an effort to go out and buy the skates.