Exercise causing me to breakout!?

So I have really sensitive skin, and recently it's been under control. Until two weeks ago when I started exercising... I'm guessing it's either just a coincidence, and maybe it's just hormones..or perhaps it is from sweating and my skin not being used to it. For the past week i've also been drinking a lot more water than I used to, and was thinking maybe my skin was cleansing itself, hence the pimples? I don't know :( What do you think? Is it possible that exercise and more water is causing me to break out whilst my skin gets used to this change? I know it HELPS with clearer, but I'm thinking perhaps it's going to get worse before it gets better :)

I just really want it under control!!

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    I had the same problem. Turns out, it was the fabric softner I used on my towels.
  • kelsierose094
    kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
    Gah! The fact that small things like that matter..is extremely stressful!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Sadly, it's a mistry to me too. My cheeks have blotchy red patches on them and I don't know why. At first I thought it was my body cleansing itself but I'm not so convinced now. I've been losing weight for the past 6 months, drinking loads of water and I still get this on my cheeks. Do you use moisturiser on you face, have you changed what you use at all? Or as the other poster wrote, changed detergent. Have you introduced a new food product that could be triggering this condition?

I hope you find the source.
  • kelsierose094
    Sadly, it's a mistry to me too. My cheeks have blotchy red patches on them and I don't know why. At first I thought it was my body cleansing itself but I'm not so convinced now. I've been losing weight for the past 6 months, drinking loads of water and I still get this on my cheeks. Do you use moisturiser on you face, have you changed what you use at all? Or as the other poster wrote, changed detergent. Have you introduced a new food product that could be triggering this condition?

I hope you find the source.

I use the same moisturiser/cleanser etc. and I'm not sure about the detergent, as my dad usually buys that. Back when I was happiest with my skin, I think I was eating a bit less dairy than I am now...so I may try and cut it down a bit :)
  • Do you work out with your make up on? I used to do that as well (ewww!), but now I go to the gym with only a mineral powder foundation on (I do need a bit of coverage when I get out of the house) and after my work out I remove it (plus all the sweat and extra sebum) with a cotton pad and some miceral water. Then I take a shower and apply my cream and powder. My face looks much better that it used to.

Also, I think using that tennis-like head band on your forehead can help to keep the sweat out from the rest of your face.
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    No make up to exercise and showering pretty much immediately after is my only advice.

If you already do both of those, then hopefully it's not related to exercise and it's just unlucky timing and clears up soon!
  • kelsierose094
    Do you work out with your make up on? I used to do that as well (ewww!), but now I go to the gym with only a mineral powder foundation on (I do need a bit of coverage when I get out of the house) and after my work out I remove it (plus all the sweat and extra sebum) with a cotton pad and some miceral water. Then I take a shower and apply my cream and powder. My face looks much better that it used to.

Also, I think using that tennis-like head band on your forehead can help to keep the sweat out from the rest of your face.

A lot of the time I go to the gym after work so can't take off my makeup! And I dont use makeup wipes because all the ones I used to use, would break me out (yes, REALLY sensitive skin haha). But I only ever wear powder anyway. Then when I get home I jump straight in the shower and cleanse, and wear no makeup until the next day.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    For sure no make-up during workouts

Are you wearing fabric that holds the sweat in and keeps it touching your body? Are you changing right afterwards?

I did break-out my first two weeks of upping my water intake, guess it was almost like a detox - I still break out right around where my sports bra and HRM strap meet because the sweat gets trapped there during the workout
  • kelsierose094
    For sure no make-up during workouts

Are you wearing fabric that holds the sweat in and keeps it touching your body? Are you changing right afterwards?

I did break-out my first two weeks of upping my water intake, guess it was almost like a detox - I still break out right around where my sports bra and HRM strap meet because the sweat gets trapped there during the workout

The no makeup thing will be a problem since i got straight after work usually... Also i dont' like to cleanse any more than twice a day, so I'd have to cleanse in the morning, then to remove makeup before gym, then again after my shower D:
    The rest of my body is fine with breakout, just my face. When you broke out from upping your water intake - was it around your mouth and chin??
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    It was just sparatic on my face for about 10 days, now its gone down.

Think about investing in some make-up wipes?

Not a full wash, just take off some of the make-up, then use another after the workout to clean the sweat off

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/cleansers/wipes,+pads+-+towelettes.do?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Cleansing+-+Unbranded+-+Makeup+Remover&utm_term=best makeup remover wipes&utm_content=Wipes|mkwid|YALzlubW|pcrid|1889488892

Thats the wips I have

--

Also make sure you aren't touching your face while you hands are dirty/sweaty
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Drinking a lot of water works for me around 3 litters a day
  • kelsierose094
    Thank guys :) I'll continue drinking lots and lots of water, and I found some makeup wipes from the brand of products I use which have been given quite good reviews..I shall give them a try when I'm headed to the gym straight after work! *fingers crossed*
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Wash right after a workout. That's all you have to do. Sweat + dirt = pimples. So the sooner you wash/wipe down totally or get as close to clean skin as you can the better
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    I find I have to step up the skincare when working out, so in addition to my daily facewash routine I use a face mask 1-2 times a week.