fitbit is an expensive pedometer imo

Options
seamatt
seamatt Posts: 199 Member
 Fit bit is bollocks. Did a massive cycle first thing and tracked it with a HRM. Added the activity cals and time into MFP. Later go out in afternoon with my daughter walking. Do another 5k steps so expect fit bit to add some cals for that. .......no. Fit bit cals added today. ...zero. even though I have extra exercise recorded via that alone.

Looked at it's reason behind it in the calculator and it wanted to take cals off me as it was trying to interfere with my cycle burn. The way I understood it was as long as you added the start and end time it saw that as a separate workout and left it alone.

Replies

• therealajs
    therealajs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's my understanding too. I use Fitbit One and for me it is motivational but I have no idea how well it calculates calorie consumption. I don't have a HRM so I just use the FBO all the time and use whatever it transfers to MFP during my cardio workouts. I have been trying to figure out how far off and in what direction it's calculations are from calculated numbers based on body weight, heart rate, etc.

I can tell you that I have continued to loose weight even while I eat more based on the extra calories the FBO says I expended. But yes, it is essentially a glorified pedometer and that is how I too describe it to people, that said it seems to work ok for me and it is a mild motivator.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
     Fit bit is bollocks. Did a massive cycle first thing and tracked it with a HRM. Added the activity cals and time into MFP. Later go out in afternoon with my daughter walking. Do another 5k steps so expect fit bit to add some cals for that. .......no. Fit bit cals added today. ...zero. even though I have extra exercise recorded via that alone.

Looked at it's reason behind it in the calculator and it wanted to take cals off me as it was trying to interfere with my cycle burn. The way I understood it was as long as you added the start and end time it saw that as a separate workout and left it alone.

Did you only do 5000 steps all day, if so that's what it thinks sedentary is and so in effect, MFP has already given you those calories so fitbit won't give you any more.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options

The fitbit works by taking your completely sedentary BMR and gradually increasing during the day, your cycle would have spiked your calories for the day at that point. If you remained sedentary (5000 steps is sedentary, I have to get to 8000 before I get any calories added) for the rest of the day then you would gradually have lost that calorie spike.

Also what plan have you got it set to on fitbit? it took me about a week before I got the settings right for what I wanted it to do.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has many flaws, but you seem angry for something thats not it's fault...

Track your food & your exercise on MFP, and the rest will all sync perfectly! I don't use Fitbits Dashboard for eating & I don't eat back exercised calories either.
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    Fitbit has many flaws, but you seem angry for something thats not it's fault...

Track your food & your exercise on MFP, and the rest will all sync perfectly! I don't use Fitbits Dashboard for eating & I don't eat back exercised calories either.

Same for me, I don't use the fitbit dashboard, I do however eat back some of the calories. I have mine set for predictive so some days it will ADD calories, lowering my daily allowance. I'm not sure if it's accurate, I think so based on the numbers it gives me vs unsyncing it and adding time walked to MFP's exercise log. It's fairly great on steps so glorified pedometer it's doing exactly what I bought it to do which is get me walking more than I used to, seeing a low step count gets my butt up and moving.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Its not a glorified pedometer. It IS a pedometer.

Im not sure what else youre expecting it to do?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Its not a glorified pedometer. It IS a pedometer.

Im not sure what else youre expecting it to do?
    Maybe cable TV as well?
  • seamatt
    Options
    Right just to settle a few things.

I do not use the fitbit dashboard. I enter everything through MFP with the times and durations of exercise. According to the way 'they' (over at fitbit) claims it will work, is that it will discount it's calculations during that time and allow you to add in your own exercise.

It is marketed as more than a pedometer. A pedometer is about a fiver and records steps. What Fitbit is meant to do is take your TDEE and then add anything you do on top of that to it to gave you a daily output of cals.

I did around 11k steps yesterday and it gave me no extra on my calories. So if I lay in bed all day I burn X and if I do 11k steps I also would burn X.................see the flaw?

I am also not 'angry' I just feel that the claims it (fitbit) makes are a load of balls.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    But it all depends on what you have set your activity level to on MFP and whether that included the exercise anyway. You are misunderstanding it somewhere. Have you read up about how it works? This is from MFP help;

What is the Calorie Adjustment in my Exercise Diary?
    Last Updated: Jun 13, 2013 01:09PM PDT
    MyFitnessPal pulls your calorie burn directly from our total daily calorie App Gallery partners. We then project forward to the end of the day based on your calorie burn so far. If this full-day number is different than MyFitnessPal’s estimate for your daily calorie burn, an adjustment will be made to your caloric intake goal. This adjustment can either be positive or negative. If the adjustment is positive, this indicates that your calorie burn for the day as reported by our partner is greater than MyFitnessPal’s estimate. If the adjustment is negative this indicates that the partner's reported calorie burn is lower than MyFitnessPal’s estimate.

Details about the calculation of any adjustment can be viewed by clicking the small "i" next to the adjustment in your Exercise Diary (on the full website), or by tapping the adjustment itself in the Exercise Diary of the latest MyFitnessPal iOS or Android apps.

Because the adjustment value is recalculated every time your device uploads new data, you should expect this value to change over the course of the day.

By default, MyFitnessPal will show you only positive calorie adjustments. To permit negative adjustments, log in to the full MyFitnessPal site at http://www.myfitnesspal.com and click "My Home" then "Settings" then "Diary Settings." Check the box for "Enable Negative Adjustments" then click "Save Changes"

If you are typically unable to sync your device until late in the day, you may wish to leave negative adjustments "off."
  • jaz050465
    Options
    It does do what you say "What Fitbit is meant to do is take your TDEE and then add anything you do on top of that to it to gave you a daily output of cals. "

You just need to understand where you are going wrong.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Would like to add though that it only measures step exercise. The Bodymedia Fit has a range of other sensors and is more accurate but is more expensive though and there is a subscription. Like so many things in life though- you get what you pay for.
  • seamatt
    Options
    I am set to Sedentary and then I allow fitbit to add to my daily limit.

Yesterday I cycled 32 miles in the morning and monitored the whole thing with my Polar FT7 HRM. I added this to MFP.

I then did 11k steps throughout the day. Including a 5k step session with my nearly 2 year old in the afternoon.

At the end of the day, when I clicked the little (i) information next to the zero added cals from fitbit it actually wanted to take some of the calories I manually added for the cycle ride away.

My argument is this..............................My cycle was added as an activity with start and stop times and was monitored by a HRM - Calories = Y

My TDEE from MFP for doing nothing = X

My Steps = Z

So

My TDEE X + my Bike ride Y + my steps Z should equal my Finished output A

So why is it that I have added more exercise in figure Z (11k steps) and it wants to give a minus value for that by taking away calories from the bike ride Y

Fitbit calculation (figures are not exact as are for ease of display)

TDEE 1500
    Bike Ride 2000
    11k Steps -750

= 3250

Now in my mind it you have read

TDEE 1500
    Bike Ride 2000
    11k Steps 300

= 3800

If fitbit is right, I would have burned more calories if I came home from my bike ride and did not move the rest of the day.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was just wondering about purchasing one, I already have a good pedometer, so I wont bother with the fitbit
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    IMO it's the best thing I have.

25,000 steps later & I still have 1300 cals to eat...that's AFTER eating the time amount so far.

It IS a pedometer, nothing IMO about it. But a damn good one that actually gives me MORE calories for my workout than my HRM does on some days.

The only reason you are not getting more is because of the cycling...put it on your shoe instead for the steps that way..... and because you are not doing enough to go OVER what here thinks you need to do.

The more you do the better.

I average about 25k - 30k a day... yeah a day. I get the extra to eat & actually have not only lost more weight since having it but damn I get to keep it off.

They make no claims about how little you do or how much you burn. TDEE is set up.... it's a guess if you do nothing..... do more & it raises the amount you eat cause you did more than it guessed.

Brilliant little thing. If people use it the right way. I love mine so much I got one for my son, one for hubby & one for someone on here. IMO it's perfect.
  • seamatt
    Options
    The golden point being spectacularly missed again is this

It shouldn't matter if I wear it selotaped to my forehead for the ride, it is entered via MFP as an activity with a start/stop time and cals so should discount that.

And the biggest one.....

If I went to bed after my ride. In Fitbit land I burn more than doing 11k steps.

If it is a Pedomer, why the hell is it £70?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

It shouldn't matter if I wear it selotaped to my forehead for the ride, it is entered via MFP as an activity with a start/stop time and cals so should discount that.

And the biggest one.....

If I went to bed after my ride. In Fitbit land I burn more than doing 11k steps.

Because it does a hell of a lot more than just count steps. If you want more to eat, burn more. I get almost nothing for sitting around or laying in bed.
  • seamatt
    Options

And the biggest one.....

Because it does a hell of a lot more than just count steps. If you want more to eat, burn more. I get almost nothing for sitting around or laying in bed.

Unless you were me yesterday then Fitbit would have given you more. Exercise = minus remember.

I wonder if I should mark the banging my head against the desk as an activity or allow fitbit to work it out LOL
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. I was thinking it would work the same way, though I've not synced mine yet to find out.

Yesterday I burned lots of cals doing 2 hours of Krav Maga which I have put into MFP. As it's not a purely step based exercise, fitbit under reports cals by a lot. Later that evening, I went for a 20 minute walk. As this is seperate and additional to the earlier Krav, I assumed that it would add extra for it.

If it doesn't do it automatically, I might use the cals calculated for the walk from fitbit and put in a "walking" exercise on MFP for the same times using that cal count. Maybe it will count it then, or have I got it completely wrong?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Walk at home - 6mi/10km
    mins 81 cals 561
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog
    mins 90 cals 329
    Fitbit calorie adjustment
    mins N/A cals 441

1st one added via MFP comes from my HRM rate
    2nd one is from Endomondo automatically synced
    3rd one is auto from Fitbit site

Close to 30,000 steps so far. See more you do OVER Fitbit's TDEE & MFP's setting....
  • jaz050465
    Options

And the biggest one.....

Unless you were me yesterday then Fitbit would have given you more. Exercise = minus remember.

I wonder if I should mark the banging my head against the desk as an activity or allow fitbit to work it out LOL

From what you're saying- it must be faulty as mine would have given extra from what you've said. I'd send this eg to customer services and ask for a replacement. It shouldn't work like that.

If you do a search, you will find there are hundreds of people who find it does just what you were expecting. There's just something wrong somewhere.