runners: fuel belt/water question

Options
haanmom
haanmom Posts: 90 Member
I am currently training for my 2nd half marathon. I ran my first in May without my fuel belt because I thought the water stations were spaced close enough together that I wouldn't need it. Also, don't like wearing it because the belt moves too much and just bugged me. I was wearing it with the bottles in the front.

Recently read a thread on a running board on FB about whether people wear their bottles in the front or back, and decided I'd try wearing mine in the back to see if it might be more comfortable. I ended up regretting not having my water at that first half marathon I did, so this time I want to train with it and plan to wear it just in case.

So today I ran 7 miles, a comfortable long run distance for me at this point in my training schedule, with the 2 water bottles on my lower back, belt across my hip bones.

The run went fine but afterwards I noticed my glutes were more sore than usual after a non-hill run. It's now been 12 hours since I finished my run and my lower back is SUPER sore, muscular not bruises. I've done hot pad, foam roller, Ibuprofen and lots of stretching. It has now finally occurred to me that it is probably related to wearing the water in the back.

Does anyone know if this is just an adjustment thing? Or if I might be really screwing my body up by switching the water to my back? The run felt good and the belt was way less irritating in the back, so I'd prefer to keep it there, but obviously I don't want to injure myself either. I know from seeing a chiropractor in the past and from personal training sessions that my glutes and lower back are pretty weak compared to the rest of my body.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Fuel Belts (2 and a 4 bottles). With the the 2, water is always to the back, it's just the way my belt is made. I don't wear them at all during races and so far have never had an issue with the water stations. That said I do wear them for any training runs over an hour (especially during the summer) mine ride very comfortably and I really don't even notice that I have them on. You might have to adjust the tightness until you find the prefect fit. I know when I started using them I wore it too loose and it sat too far down and moved quite a bit. Tighter was better for me. Might take a few runs to get use to how you're wearing it now.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt , and I wear it in the back.. It is quite comfortable and works real well.. I use it all the time on my runs :)
  • KristinD1977
    KristinD1977 Posts: 101
    Options
    I do not have any experience with fuel belts but I am also training for a 1/2 and of course have had concerns about needing water along the way. I have a friend who is an experienced runner and this year she decided to start wearing a Camelback for her marathons. I already have a large one for hiking which I love and I plan to get a small one before my race. This may be a more comfortable option for you to consider trying.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't know how feasible it would be (as I've never tried it) but have you ever considered a Camelback hydration pack for this purpose? You just wear it like a backpack and the drinking hose is attached to the straps and hangs close to your head for easy access.