Squatting with a stiff ankle due to sprain?

Options
I sprained my ankle about 2 months ago and it isn't healed yet. It's still pretty stiff when I flex it and I can't go into a deep squat. I can go about 90 degrees but no further. I CAN leg press and use the hack squat machine, though. So should I just stick to that? Also, what are some rehabilitation techniques? (: Thanks

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I posted to your other thread, but have you had your doc look at it? Maybe have your doc recommend what to do to rehabilitate it?
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't fully healed yet, you shouldn't do any activity that will hurt it some more. The more you push it the more damage you will do to your sprain ankle. you should really consult your doctor before doing any exercises.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Dorsiflexion is a pretty common limitation for squatting, and I bet your injury has really monkeyed with it in that foot. Go to the mobilityWOD website and search "ankle dorsiflexion". He has some great mobility exercises for it, with some focusing specifically on the role of dorsiflexion and squatting. Good luck!

http://www.mobilitywod.com/
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you widen your feet, or switch to a front squat, you won't need nearly as much dorsal flexion.

The lack of mobility in your ankle is most likely due to being inactive. I would use it as much as you can. If you have a lacrosse ball or a softball, try working it into the back side of your calf to release those tight muscles.