Exercise question

Options
hi i'm new to MFP and i have a daily calorie intake of 2000 which i always have at least 100 and something left. Im getting confused with the exercise part as it always is saying i have minus numbers even though i have exercised for an hour and 2 mins today i have 522 calories left now but im minus 301 in exercise which is what i have burned today doing exercise what does this mean.

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Those are your calories burned that MFP expects you to eat back. c:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Your exercise figure will always be a minus as you subtract that amount from your daily consumption giving you your net amount.
  • vgirl21
    vgirl21 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yes I had this problem too!
    So MFP tells you the calories you need to consume in order to reach your end goal. Then it tells you the calories that you burned from exercise. Last, your net calories.

For example. I want to lose 2 pounds a week and my goal for daily calorie intake is 1200 calories. But let's say I exercise and burn 500 calories. Now I am at a deficit of 500 calories. That means that I have to eat those 500 calories back in order to get back to 1200 calories. Otherwise I am putting my body at risk!

Most people (including myself at one point) believe they have to eat 1200 calories and exercise for maybe 30-45 minutes a day to lose weight. Everybody is different though. This is just an example. Wrong! Let's say that my BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) is at 2200 calories. These are the calories I burn while doing absolutely nothing. This includes what my body does on its own like breathing and basic functioning of the organs. If I eat only 1200 calories for the day. I have just put my body on a deficit of 1000 calories

1 pound=3500 calories
    2 pounds= 7000
    If I eat 1200 calories a day and am at a deficit of 1000 calories for 7 days, that is 2 pounds a week! However no woman is recommended to eat below 1200 calories.
    As far as exercise is considered, if you exercise and burn an extra 500 calories, you are going below 1200 calories. Yes you might think that is a good thing cuz you are burning more calories which could lead to more weight loss. But you are at risk of depriving your body of the calories it needs to survive! Later down the road you have a greater chance of hitting a plateau, or worse...organ failure, diseases or sickness. If you want to be at 1200 calories a day and exercise still, you need to be eating 1300-1500 calories a day plus exercise burned. Talk to your doctor if you have to, to see what is best for you. Know your body and figure out your realistic goals. You should know your BMR also.

Hope this helps! :)